Italari 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles

kpnuts

I'm guilty of just posting random infrequent posts in this build. Doesn't mean to say I am not interested in it, I do follow every update and am enjoying the progress. There is some very good work going on. I do know what you mean with the comments though but you can see the views post going up so you know people are following. Its not really an area of interest for me and not a subject matter I am familiar with but it is good to expand ones horizon and it is good to learn new tricks of the trade, the same also goes for your ship builds which are interesting to follow and I never knew that Heller were such a bunch of :fuyou_2: . So fear not about us silent majority, we are just sitting back enjoying the show :thumbsup:

Bob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all well engine is done, I've put the body shell on just for fun (don't worry it won't be that shiny when finished, I'm going to rub vasline over it

http://i.imgur.com/we3bqRe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MS0dLUF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ocNfyJe.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/L79h4Jq.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TmAAn6S.jpg

Won't vaseline make it slippery to handle? You might drop it! A rubdown with very fine sandpaper or steel wool might give the desired result. Just a thought.

Hi all well as I'm doing this as she was for the record run I've primed her in black(she was painted red some time after she went into the museum, on the run she was black)
Tx2hm2y.jpg

I love this kit and also the Fiat 806. I never did paint either one, just spent a lot of time cleaning and polishing the bodies and left them as bare metal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all well I was shown some photos of this on it world speed run by Dominic Beerts and as well as being black the rear of the car was higher and the 4 breather holes weren't there so I've raised the back by 10 mill now I just have to lower the skirt by 10 mill. Here are some pics, lots more to do.

Replaced these 2 pics will do my best to replace what I can of the missing pics but I no longer have them all and tbh I can't really remember what a lot of them were.

IMG-20161203-58950-645158868.jpg
IMG-20161203-11380299876216.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I only have the picture of the sprue in the methe here so I deleted the pointless ones.

Hi all well back off hols with renewed energy, oh dear, there is something weird with the plastic on this kit, the paint I'm using I usually (on other models anyway) I can get off with meths, I didn't like the look of this so I thought I would remove it and start again, I started brushing it off using meths and it started melting the plastic?

I put some plastic from another kit in the meths along with a piece of sprue from this kit over night, as you can see the ItalarI sprue has dissolved completely

And the other sprue as you can see is completely untouched

Don't know what to do now, if I sand it out I will loose the rivet detail, all I can think of is to do a what if and have it as a derelict in a barn now, any suggestions.

Edited by kpnuts

I'm wondering if they've reformulated the meths? Last time I used some, it certainly smelt different to the old stuff. Probably to stop folk drinking it!

You may not need the rivets around the tail area! I've always thought they were there as a result of the tail lowering and cut'n shut. I've got a few early shots of the car and none of them are high-res enough to see any panel lines...so you're covered! :)

Edited by vontrips

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi all well you probably think this is dead but no, I never really give up on anything, got it back out of storage, first thing I noticed I didn't store it very well.

Both levers snapped off (no biggie but annoying to say the least)

As I've been informed by von trips most of the rivet detail was added after the alterations post run and there are very few pics pre run so who's to say the rivets were even there, I've tried to make it not to shiny (surprising how difficult that is, I didn't want satin just not super glossy like modern paint jobs) I'm happy with the finish at the moment.

Anyway here it is at the moment the bottom is raised 10 mill added 10 mill skirts. 

IMG-20161204-31935-556374900.jpg

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 3

Sam,

The pic of the black Mefisto is also the only one I have seen. Hopefully the detectives working on the 806 will turn thier attention to this kit then we will have more pics...hint hint...

Kpnuts, your build will be a very interesting one. Would love to see a black Mefisto.

Regards,

Jeremy 

Here's what I've done today, the trouble with stopping a build and coming back several months later is you can't remember where you got to, after hours of scanning the instructions (well an hour or so) (another reason to follow the instruction order) I've decided now since I have no idea where I was upto I will go by the instructions now, anyway I've fixed the broken levers (not drilled them out as I think that is why they broke off in the first place) 
I think the decals on the rear are very white any suggestions how to subtlety dull them down or something, they do look out of place.
IMG-20161204-517851329913996.jpg
IMG-20161204-42371544508068.jpg
Incidentally this must have been huge, I've put it on top of the 1/8 traction avant and there is little to choose length wise between them, considering the Fiat is 1/12 the actual thing must have been huge,I mean the traction was not small by today's standards and was a 4 seater.

Edited by kpnuts
  • Like 3

@kpnuts I'm glad to see this model reappear. Looks outstanding in black, so different from all our red ones.

On thing, the Italeri instructions for the rear suspension are wrong. The rear spring should be above the rear carrier not below it. Have a look at the numerous photos online for the correct geometry. It is easily fixed. Just reassemble the right way up. It's worth doing. Mine was wrong originally. When I changed it, the stance of the car changed and improved considerably.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NickD said:

@kpnuts I'm glad to see this model reappear. Looks outstanding in black, so different from all our red ones.

On thing, the Italeri instructions for the rear suspension are wrong. The rear spring should be above the rear carrier not below it. Have a look at the numerous photos online for the correct geometry. It is easily fixed. Just reassemble the right way up. It's worth doing. Mine was wrong originally. When I changed it, the stance of the car changed and improved considerably.

You're absolutely right NickD, I've answered him on his thread on another modeler's website, and forgotten to tell him that

Here is  the prototype (c)  FIAT:

Fiat Mefistofele

15 hours ago, kpnuts said:

I had a grainy one similar to that pic, there really is a shortage of pic of the black one.

http://www.modellismo.net/forum/statico-work-progress/116223-auto-fiat-mefistofele-1-12-riedizione-italeri-5.html

Scroll down a bit. There's three there! :)

Edited by vontrips

Hi all well here is a little update (been wrapping Christmas presents today and will be for the next week or so, so not much modeling time)

Edited by kpnuts

21 hours ago, kpnuts said:

Hi all well here is a little update (been wrapping Christmas presents today and will be for the next week or so, so not much modeling time)

Cor blimey mate, you must have a helluva lot of presents to wrap :o

Hi all been wrapping my granddaughters Christmas presents today, now I love her to bits but I think my missus has gone over the top this year.
2gsesrd.jpg
I finished these and she said you know I think she needs a few more, there's not much there, Megan is 3 personally I think that is plenty but I have an idea there may be a few more coming.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kpnuts said:
Hi all been wrapping my granddaughters Christmas presents today, now I love her to bits but I think my missus has gone over the top this year.
2gsesrd.jpg
I finished these and she said you know I think she needs a few more, there's not much there, Megan is 3 personally I think that is plenty but I have an idea there may be a few more coming.

as long as you don't end up turning her into a Dudley Dursley, you should be okay.

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:05 PM, kpnuts said:

Here's what I've done today, the trouble with stopping a build and coming back several months later is you can't remember where you got to, after hours of scanning the instructions (well an hour or so) (another reason to follow the instruction order) I've decided now since I have no idea where I was upto I will go by the instructions now, anyway I've fixed the broken levers (not drilled them out as I think that is why they broke off in the first place) 

As an inveterate kit starter-storer-restarter-storer ....  well, you get the picture :), I find that the simplest thing to do is to tick each part in the instructions as you attach it to the model, then when you get back to the model you at least have a small clue as to where you last left the project. I always mark it in pencil as well, so that in theory I can erase the ticks later. I also find that having the assembled parts ticked like this gives you a small idea of how much (or little) there is left to do.

If you don't want to mark the instructions, make a photo-copy and mark that.

Hope that is helpful.

Cheers, Alan.

Cheers Alan that's a good idea, I did it on the la Reale build as it was complex and I knew I would need a hint on what I had done and finished, as you say a good thing to do all the time.