Italari 1/12 Fiat Mefistofeles

kpnuts

I had this beastie, but sold to someone here.

Almost regretting it now.

If you had started building the beast you would be regretting it! Only joking although it is quite frustrating at times.

Hi all i bought copper leaf and brass leaf especially for this kit, I did the radiator surround with brass, checking all the photos I'm not sure I have it right was the radiator surround brass or copper, the photos look like copper.

Hi all i bought copper leaf and brass leaf especially for this kit, I did the radiator surround with brass, checking all the photos I'm not sure I have it right was the radiator surround brass or copper, the photos look like copper.

The carb inlet manifolds are copper, but the rad surround is brass. Note too, the Fiat logo is repoussed and inlaid with a silvery coloured material. Probably nickel silver.

Edited by vontrips

This monstrous car produced 320 bhp drank 500 litres of fuel over a kilometre and only did 146.1mph I was surprised at that as my 1.4 litre Fiesta is capable of over 100 mph so for the extra 19litres the the equivalent of 15 of my Fiesta engines they only managed at best 46 extra mph, I find that astonishing.

This monstrous car produced 320 bhp drank 500 litres of fuel over a kilometre and only did 146.1mph I was surprised at that as my 1.4 litre Fiesta is capable of over 100 mph so for the extra 19litres the the equivalent of 15 of my Fiesta engines they only managed at best 46 extra mph, I find that astonishing.[/size]

Just goes to show how much engine technology has improved over the last 90 odd years!

• Like 1

Hi all well the friction dampers are definitely fiddely these took all last night (the legs/arms have round holes which are an interference fit on square pegs I was worried they might snap with the force required to push them on, so I drilled them out a bit, still a snug fit but safer

GxFsGDh.jpg

WQHxrqP.jpg

zEKKNGD.jpg

jjsuMKe.jpg

Lk9QhPQ.jpg

Hi all well the friction dampers are definitely fiddely these took all last night (the legs/arms have round holes which are an interference fit on square pegs I was worried they might snap with the force required to push them on, so I drilled them out a bit, still a snug fit but safer

Yeah, square pegs into round holes :mental: . I did the opposite, rounded off the pegs.

Activexp is building the same model to a much higher standard you should check that one out.

Don't know about that, you ought to see the mess I've made of those darn chains, and I can't even get the name of the car right :banghead:

Edited by activexp

Hi all I've read a lot about this car and from what I can gather the engine leaked oil like a sieve (in fact the driver was sitting in hot engine oil after every run ) so I've tried to depict a very oily engine.

g6g1z26.jpg

jD6cAqc.jpg

zJjnKIU.jpg

D20DVPj.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all here's the next installment.

A lot of the kit supplied tubing is way out of scale, another member (activexp) is building this (to a much higher standard than I could hope to and they are using shrink wrap tubing to great effect) the following photo is of the kit supplied tubing and the tubing I intend to use (I think you can see there is quite a difference)

8NAQIn8.jpg

nqsYM0b.jpg

y2C4jyW.jpg

OcGPIyI.jpg

BPl9aku.jpg

Hi all well since the Soliel Royal is permanently shelved this is going to be my next project. Made a start tonight will post pics tomorrow

Is the Soliel Royal the pix of the paddle steamer you have on a shelf and if so is that scratch built, from a plastic kit or what and what scale?

I love ships and warships and I have a private collection of over 5,000 plans of them in various scales, although I prefer the change over from sail to steam, than modern ships. Plans of cars too.

Richard

Duh, the Soliel Royal was an Elizabethan warship if my memory serves me correctly and I think I have plans of her somewhere - what put me off ships of that period was the rigging and the detail involved there, to get it right.

Richard

Hi Brooker the Soliel is unshelved as the part came, it's a French ship of the line from 1670 (lots of rigging ) the ship on the self is a scratch built mississippi paddle steamer based on a Vic Smeed plan (I think if I remember it's 1/65 scale its 58 inches long) I sold it on ebay for 10 quid and the bloke has never picked it up. I must admit I felt insulted that 18 months work was only worth 10 quid ( I mean the rc gear in it alone was worth 30 quid) but hey it will just sit on the shelf till I finally run out of room then it will get binned.