A Tribute to the Unknown Modeller

Jake Moon

Hi everyone, here's something slightly different.

I work at a hobby shop on my days off from school and we often buy collections of model kits. A few weeks ago, we bought a bunch of kits from the family of a modeller that had recently passed away. In his collection was this Tamiya Wildcat that he had nearly finished. As the kit had been started, we could not sell the kit in-store. Therefore I took the kit home with me to finish what he started. I don't know anything about the modeller, his name, age, occupation, etc. All I know is that he was male and that he must've been a very good modeller. I'd really like to finish up this kit not only as a tribute to him, but to the many friends in this community that we've lost over the years. We may not have known anything about them apart from a username and their models, but they were family to us.

Here's what I've inherited: some nicely done subassemblies. My portion of this build will be mostly assembly, plus painting and attaching smaller bits like pitot tubes, gunsight etc.

p2H81OS.jpg

He did a particularly nice job on the cockpit:

cOFUYUX.jpg

And here's what I've managed today. I glued in the cockpit and the rear control surfaces. The rudder needed some touch ups and the stab had to sanded (carefully not to lose his finish) to get it to fit snugly.

AIkuEii.jpg

More to come.

Edited by Jake Moon
  • Like 32

I love the idea! This person would be proud to see you finish his job.

I'm doing nearly the same with my Bf109.

I will follow your Wildcat to see how it comes.

Cheers

Erik

Edited by Greif

Thank you all for the kind comments, I'm sure our friend would have been happy to hear them. For clarification, this is Tamiya's lovely 1/48 Wildcat from about 20 years ago. Looks like a very lovely kit, and I'm fairly certain I won't have to put any putty over our friend's very nice paintwork. (that I have not the skills to replicate!) Tonight I'm hoping to get the wings and nose assembly together - pictures to follow soon.

You sir seem like a fine young man and it is a tremendous tribute to a fellow modeller who is now no longer with us.

I, along with the rest of us on here, look forward to seeing the Wildcat finished.

Best wishes,

Phil

• Like 2

Some years ago, I inherited a bunch of both models and accesories from the president of our local club......He gave me the kits some months before he passed away....he knew he was fading like a candle, and wanted his kits to be kept by someone who really cared about them.

Now, I really enjoy building them, and I'm pretty sure that Eduardo is still by mi side everytime I work on them....I can fell him by my side, telling fun stories and saying "bad words" every time a part falls to the floor....

That unknwn modeller is proudly enjoying his kit being built by some loving hands.....it's he best tribute anyone can take....

• Like 2

Some progress on the Wildcat.

The airframe went together flawlessly, only a few dabs of Tamiya extra thin cement along the wing joint. There were a few chips in the paint, but Tamiya Medium Grey mixed with neutral grey covered the spots nicely.

kbjbPJw.jpg

One of the exhausts on the bottom of the cowl is nowhere to be found, so I will do my best to paint and finish a spare as close to that of our friend's.

D4H1SaS.jpg

By next time I hope to have the fiddly undercarriage fitted and the lower fuselage windows painted and installed. Thanks for taking a look!

• Like 4

Since reading this remarkable and thoughtful post something has been bubbling away in the back of my head. I would say brain, but being an ex-Rock Ape that would leave me open to ridicule...

Then, in the wee hours of this morn, whilst tending to my boarders who have a dose of food poisoning, ( :sick: yup, :puke: yup and :poo-poo: yup, well done the canteen, again... :fight: ), I remembered! :frantic:

When I was but a callow youth, (circa mid-late '70's), I was part of the Luton Club that used to meet at the home of a WW I SE5a pilots house; George Dicker was his name IIRC and his house was an amazing emporium of model everything.

He passed away around the start of the 80's, about the time that I joined God's finest, (RAF Regiment). When I eventually went home on leave I found that George had left me a pair of figures. The pair were by Greenwood & Ball, (IIRC), and consisted of a seated Napoleonic French Dragoon having his boots eased off by a buxom serving wench, in about 90mm scale. Anybody remember these? They had been started, but his failing eyesight meant that it was not the usual smooth finish that George did but quite rough. Having drifted away from figures by then I packed them away for when the figure-bug returned.

Well, for the last two years the only things that I have finished have been figures; WW I for my Dad and Napoleonic for me. So after passing on my rather wane and insipid boarders to the day nurse, (complete waste of rations and oxygen), I descended upon the stash and found the figures.

At present they are sitting on my bench. There is a bit of lead rash present now so I will need to strip them down and inhibit any further oxidization products. But I think it is time to get them painted. Might even do a WIP if I can work out how to use the camera..

So, to end this longish missive, THANK YOU Jake for for your thread, for reminding me of George and this pair of figures and for the KUTA.

Mods; perhaps there could be a Tribute to the Unknown Modeller, (TUM?), thread, topic, thingy??

Christian, exiled to africa

Edited by wyverns4
  • Like 1