Canberra B2/B6 in 1/72, which options currently?

Whirly

Honestly John, I didn't look, nor measured it. I was in the first few years of getting back into the hobby when I assembled it, and so I was more concerned with making it look passable, rather than whether it was actually accurate. It may be wrong..... I couldn't tell you if it was. As I said above, it likely however that I will build a second one... like a B2 in suez or that dark grey and black bomber scheme.

I was just thinking out loud, I'd go with the Bomber Command one if it was mine :)

John

Edited by canberra kid

Just about to start a High Planes Canberra!!Having had a good look,it appears exactly as John intimated to be-just like the curate's egg,good in parts!!!!The sprues seem a large as Mach2,but hopefully will at least fit better and the correct legths!!??I wait in hope to see how it goes?

Edited by mikestow

Another question, aimed at the US cousin, the B-57.

Always interested in recce aircraft, it's been some time that I'm wondering about the way to go for an RB-57, more precisely, A or D models.

You know, ROCAF's related....

As my interest goes also to Vietnam, there's also the Patricia Lynn project aircrafts, but this time I know the way to an RB-57E.

Hi Fabio

The problem with the bomb aimer's window is that on the B(I)8 it is at the 6 o'clock position looking at it from the front but on the other bomber Mk, it would be at the 7 o'clock position but seeing as it is way undersized anyway I guess it's either live with it or fix it!

John

Hi John,

I'm a bit puzzled :hypnotised: : when you say the nose transparency is undersized are you meaning the real one or that of the kit (presumably Airfix) ?

By the way, I didn't say it before but I'm going to use a Frog kit of the B8(I)8 since I already have it.

Fabio

I've just had a quick look at some photos and I've found one of a line up of 12 Sqn B.6's at Hal Far, the first two aircraft are WH970 and WH951, WH970 is un-modded so, blunt fairing no fuel vent mast, the second one WH951 is fully modified with pointed fairings so although not visible it should also have the vent mast.951 is the only Canberra in the line that does not have the Squadron badge on her tail, does this mean she's fresh from the MU after the mod's were applied? Perhaps, the Suez crisis is around the time the mod's were being introduced. So Fabio the easiest option for you using the B(I)8 kit would be WH951.

John

Thank you for checking the details. I think I found the same image in Air Enthusiast 31, I didn't know about these changes in the B6: could you point me to the Whole story behind?

Fabio

Another question, aimed at the US cousin, the B-57.

Always interested in recce aircraft, it's been some time that I'm wondering about the way to go for an RB-57, more precisely, A or D models.

You know, ROCAF's related....

As my interest goes also to Vietnam, there's also the Patricia Lynn project aircrafts, but this time I know the way to an RB-57E.

Antoine I assume you are think 1/72 scale? I did a Hart throb RB.57A conversion http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/8272783-my-oriental-heartthrob-rb-57a-1-in-1-72 as for the D you have two options, the HP kit with all that coes with it, and the old DB convertion with the Italeri kit. This is one of my D builds http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4365348-a-canberra-reborn-rb-57d-1- there are a some more on the site. As for the RB.57E, again you have two options nether of which are ideal, To give you an idea of what's needed look at my 1/48 build here, http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/4900820-rb-57e-patricia-lynn-canberra- I intend to do a 1/72 build of an E correcting all the things wrong with the Italeri kit and using the few good things from the Airfix B.57 kit.

John

• Like 1

Wood the kit flaps have been done as a straight split top and bottom, on the actual aircraft part of the upper wing trailing edge is included on the flap. I don't know if the available replacements address this issue? It's to be hoped they do though.

John

Thanks John, I'll have a good luck to see what I can find out.

Neu, that's a gorgeous HP build, you've clobbered that into submission :)

Hi John,

I'm a bit puzzled :hypnotised: : when you say the nose transparency is undersized are you meaning the real one or that of the kit (presumably Airfix) ?

By the way, I didn't say it before but I'm going to use a Frog kit of the B8(I)8 since I already have it.

Thank you for checking the details. I think I found the same image in Air Enthusiast 31, I didn't know about these changes in the B6: could you point me to the Whole story behind?

Fabio

Hi Fabio

It's the nose cone on both the Airfix and FROG kit's that are a bit on the small side, but I don't think for what you intend to do it will matter too much. If you build WH951 you can build it just as the FROG kit but with the canopy correction. As for the modifications to the Canberra fleet, most of the big external mod's happened around the mid 50's and included the addition of the nose wheel mud guards, moving the fuel vapor vent from the starboard fuselage side just above the wing trailing edge to the mast at the rear of the fuselage. The Avon 109's powered Canberra's appear to have had the fuel and engine mod's done at the same time. There was also the fitting of a frangible navigators hatch that was done to all Canberra's at various times but were quite quickly replaced with the standard ones as time allowed as the proved to be unsuitable in service. Some Canberra's did continue with them though most noticeable the U.10 and D.14.

John

Fabio as Admiral Puff says the HP B.2 is the only kit in town for an out of the box B.2. The "new" Aeroclub nose is good if you can get it still, put it on the Airfix B(I)8 and a few mod's here and there and you have a B.2 but even that is more work than it should be! I'd like to see Revell have a pop at it, My Aeroclub/Airfix B.2 build is here http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/9516986-1-72-b-6-xh568-with-aeroclub-s-new-nose-convertion?page=1

John

Thanks,John - Appreciate that!!;)
  • Like 1

Hi Fabio

It's the nose cone on both the Airfix and FROG kit's that are a bit on the small side, but I don't think for what you intend to do it will matter too much. If you build WH951 you can build it just as the FROG kit but with the canopy correction. As for the modifications to the Canberra fleet, most of the big external mod's happened around the mid 50's and included the addition of the nose wheel mud guards, moving the fuel vapor vent from the starboard fuselage side just above the wing trailing edge to the mast at the rear of the fuselage. The Avon 109's powered Canberra's appear to have had the fuel and engine mod's done at the same time. There was also the fitting of a frangible navigators hatch that was done to all Canberra's at various times but were quite quickly replaced with the standard ones as time allowed as the proved to be unsuitable in service. Some Canberra's did continue with them though most noticeable the U.10 and D.14.

John

Thank you John, you are a mine of information :winkgrin:

Fabio

I've wondered if that was intended as a rebox of the SH kit (as with their Hudson etc) rather than a re-mould of their B57

SH rebox would be my guess. As the SH fell through, so did the Italeri...

Cheers,

Andre

Wood the kit flaps have been done as a straight split top and bottom, on the actual aircraft part of the upper wing trailing edge is included on the flap. I don't know if the available replacements address this issue? It's to be hoped they do though.

John

Started working on the wings and the CMK flaps do appear to deal with the corrections so that's good news.

• Like 1