Canberra B2/B6 in 1/72, which options currently?

Whirly

I know it has been asked several times but from a quick search there's nothing recent...

So, being that still no modelling company did a mainstream kit of the early Canberra variants, which are the options as of now? I know there have been several conversions but none seems currently in production. The only choice I saw is a (very) short run kit from High Planes.

I welcome any contribution

Fabio

The High Planes kit is about it these days (listening, Mr Airfix?). It's accurate in shape, but a lot of work - a limited run moulding, with all that that entails. Lots of care and dry fitting will see you through. The new High Planes may have plans to re-do it, but so far Christopher hasn't said anything.

Fabio as Admiral Puff says the HP B.2 is the only kit in town for an out of the box B.2. The "new" Aeroclub nose is good if you can get it still, put it on the Airfix B(I)8 and a few mod's here and there and you have a B.2 but even that is more work than it should be! I'd like to see Revell have a pop at it, My Aeroclub/Airfix B.2 build is here http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/9516986-1-72-b-6-xh568-with-aeroclub-s-new-nose-convertion?page=1

John

• Like 3

You could always try bombarding the Revell email address with images of those rather smart orange German Canberras. They might get the hint.

But I'd be happy for anyone to give it a bash, and it could just as easily be Special Hobby or (whisper it) Trumpeter as Airfix.

• Like 3

Thanks you for your opinions Sirs: so no luck as I feared :weep:

Since this should be a quick and easy build for a club collection I was wondering if another option could be starting from a B(I)8 kit and replacing the fighter canopy with a fishbowl one (which I have). what do you think? Are there any other major differences to account for?

Fabio

Since this should be a quick and easy build for a club collection I was wondering if another option could be starting from a B(I)8 kit and replacing the fighter canopy with a fishbowl one (which I have). what do you think? Are there any other major differences to account for?

Fabio

Fabio, if you intend to go down this route I'm happy to let you check my Hi Planes B.2 and verify if the project is doable. I remember having seen this done before and IIRC the fuselage profile is the same. There are some other different details (like the compressor spinners) but of course they are not as complicated to modify as the canopy

I used the old Airfix canopy on a Frog kit many years ago, and it looked OK to me. Granted, it may not have met the high standards of many nowadays, but neither would the rest of the kit, and it was quick and easy. The fuselage profiles are the same, barring the nose transparency vs solid.

Fabio

Which B.2 are you wanting to model Fabio? It all depends how much work you want to do? if it's a quick build then yes you can produce something that will look like a B.2 by fitting the round canopy to the B(I)8 fill and paint over the two windows either side of the nose, shorten the engine cartridge starter fairings to a shorter blunter shape. that should be about it. The panel lines will be wrong the nose cap won't be quite right and the wheels could be wrong depending on the B.2 you are building, but you will have a model that looks a lot like a Canberra B.2

John

• Like 1

Actually I haven't made a choice yet: it must be in Suez colours so could be both a B2 and a B6. I'm curious about what would remain wrong in the nose cap using a B(I)8 nose: as I said it doesn't need to be extremely accurate but the look of the front end is most important to me.

Giorgio, thank you for your very kind offer though it's more effort than it's worth for the purpose of this build :winkgrin:

Fabio

• Like 1

You could always try bombarding the Revell email address with images of those rather smart orange German Canberras. They might get the hint.

But I'd be happy for anyone to give it a bash, and it could just as easily be Special Hobby or (whisper it) Trumpeter as Airfix.

Didn't Special Hobby announce a B2/B6 once? It never materialised so I wonder if it's still in the pipeline.

Is the B.6 about the same (at least from outside) as the B.2?

I've absolutely no paper references for that aircraft, and I've read somewhere on the net that the B.6 has a stretched fuselage?

I'm asking because of the old airfix kit in my stash, whose title is BAC Canberra B(I).6, and with no interest in the B.6, I'd like to turn it into a B.2?

Whatever, it'll be a B.2, stretching the fuselage would not be that difficult if it has to be done.

Is the B.6 about the same (at least from outside) as the B.2?

I've absolutely no paper references for that aircraft, and I've read somewhere on the net that the B.6 has a stretched fuselage?

I'm asking because of the old airfix kit in my stash, whose title is BAC Canberra B(I).6, and with no interest in the B.6, I'd like to turn it into a B.2?

Whatever, it'll be a B.2, stretching the fuselage would not be that difficult if it has to be done.

Hi Antoine

The length diferance is a myth,only the PR.3,7,9 and T.22 had the fusalage extension.

John

• Like 1

Re fuselage length: typical Wankipedia nonsense.

The most significant differences between the two marks were more powerful engines and extra wing fuel tanks in the B.6; the main external

were the engine centre-bodies (the pointed bit in the front of the engine nacelles; shorter on the B.2) and the panel lines on the outer wings.

You will also omit the ventral gun pack unless doing a Venezuelan B(I).2.

The main problem with the Airfix B(I).6 is that the canopy/forward fuselage shape is noticeably off.

Edited for spelling errors.

Edited by Panoz
  • Like 2

Actually I haven't made a choice yet: it must be in Suez colours so could be both a B2 and a B6. I'm curious about what would remain wrong in the nose cap using a B(I)8 nose: as I said it doesn't need to be extremely accurate but the look of the front end is most important to me.

Giorgio, thank you for your very kind offer though it's more effort than it's worth for the purpose of this build :winkgrin:

Fabio

Hi Fabio

The problem with the bomb aimer's window is that on the B(I)8 it is at the 6 o'clock position looking at it from the front but on the other bomber Mk, it would be at the 7 o'clock position but seeing as it is way undersized anyway I guess it's either live with it or fix it! THe best option for you I think would be the B.6 then the wheels would be right, you would perhaps still need to modify the starter cartridge fairings to the blunt type and delete the fuel vent mast from the rear fuselage, I'd have to check as I'm not sure what mod state the B.6 were in at the time of Suez.

John

Fabio

I've just had a quick look at some photos and I've found one of a line up of 12 Sqn B.6's at Hal Far, the first two aircraft are WH970 and WH951, WH970 is un-modded so, blunt fairing no fuel vent mast, the second one WH951 is fully modified with pointed fairings so although not visible it should also have the vent mast.951 is the only Canberra in the line that does not have the Squadron badge on her tail, does this mean she's fresh from the MU after the mod's were applied? Perhaps, the Suez crisis is around the time the mod's were being introduced. So Fabio the easiest option for you using the B(I)8 kit would be WH951.

John

Hannants show a B.2 as a future release from MPM, fingers crossed.

John, on your Canberra build, you mention the flaps being incorrect. Can you expand on this? I've got some resin flaps for the Airfix B.8 kit and was hoping to use them. I've just started mine. Great reference build too, I'll be referring to it a lot :)

Cheers

• Like 1

I've mentioned this a few times around the forums, but I've built a High Planes Canberra B6 in Suez stripes. IT was probably one of my more challenging builds... it needs a lot of work, especially if you replace the landing gear bays.

There are large areas which needed reshaping (the yellow is the filler):
d27e8f3c.jpg
Transparencies were an issue, with very soft molding lines.
62cd1522.jpg
Non-existent interior in some areas,
f7bb9fc2.jpg
No wheel well detail to speak of... which I replaced with a now-defunct Resin-arts kit
3q8.jpg
3q11.jpg
It required a shim to get the shape right.
1dc5faac.jpg
So yeah... I got this out of it:
4B23.jpg
Not the best kit I've ever done: I would actually consider doing one more in the future. ITs a struggle, but it looks good in the end. Resin-art I Think is now being produced by CMR or CMK as a for-order service. Might be worth looking up.
Hope that helps.
  • Like 3

Hannants show a B.2 as a future release from MPM, fingers crossed.

John, on your Canberra build, you mention the flaps being incorrect. Can you expand on this? I've got some resin flaps for the Airfix B.8 kit and was hoping to use them. I've just started mine. Great reference build too, I'll be referring to it a lot :)

Cheers

Wood the kit flaps have been done as a straight split top and bottom, on the actual aircraft part of the upper wing trailing edge is included on the flap. I don't know if the available replacements address this issue? It's to be hoped they do though.

John

• Like 1

I've mentioned this a few times around the forums, but I've built a High Planes Canberra B6 in Suez stripes. IT was probably one of my more challenging builds... it needs a lot of work, especially if you replace the landing gear bays.

There are large areas which needed reshaping (the yellow is the filler):
d27e8f3c.jpg
Transparencies were an issue, with very soft molding lines.
62cd1522.jpg
Non-existent interior in some areas,
f7bb9fc2.jpg
No wheel well detail to speak of... which I replaced with a now-defunct Resin-arts kit
3q8.jpg
3q11.jpg
It required a shim to get the shape right.
1dc5faac.jpg
So yeah... I got this out of it:
4B23.jpg
Not the best kit I've ever done: I would actually consider doing one more in the future. ITs a struggle, but it looks good in the end. Resin-art I Think is now being produced by CMR or CMK as a for-order service. Might be worth looking up.
Hope that helps.

Neu

It is a very challenging kit, mine is on hold until I can find time to lavish on it that it needs, one thing that stands out looking at your fine build is the length of the starter cartridge fairings, they look a little long? High planes should be thanked for producing the kit in the first place, they made a lot of compromises to cover all the marks, making it quite a job to keep track of what details are applicable to a particular mark, not an easy task!

John

Honestly John, I didn't look, nor measured it. I was in the first few years of getting back into the hobby when I assembled it, and so I was more concerned with making it look passable, rather than whether it was actually accurate. It may be wrong..... I couldn't tell you if it was. As I said above, it likely however that I will build a second one... like a B2 in suez or that dark grey and black bomber scheme.

• Like 1