1/72 - MiG-21MF/MFN "Fishbed-J" by Kovozávody Prostějov (KP) - released - new boxing

Homebee

8 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Just wondering if the black antenna on the rear fuselage is included in the kit?. Not hard to make one, but just wondering.

It is not the only antenna that you will have to make if it is (they are) not included in one form or other. Still the plastic is the "strange" RV rendering. If something I would still go for the age old KP kit instead of this one for a true MF. 

The old KP kit was (and still is) the best representation of the MF even if with raised panel lines! 

Best regards

Gabor

3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

It is not the only antenna that you will have to make if it is (they are) not included in one form or other. Still the plastic is the "strange" RV rendering. If something I would still go for the age old KP kit instead of this one for a true MF. 

The old KP kit was (and still is) the best representation of the MF even if with raised panel lines! 

Best regards

Gabor

Hello Gabor

You said " Strange" didn't you ? I would say "Strange and Fat" at least.

I use my R.V Aircraft MiGs as spare parts (except for the Fujimi-like fuselage). A shame, as the paneling and the surfaces are so beautiful !

Depending on the R.V. Aircraft edition, you will still be left with plenty of colour PE ,resin parts ,Master Pitot and decals  that can be useful to update the KP. MF or the ZVEZDA Bis.

ZVEZDA 'bis' is based on their earlier PFM. They just changed the tail (with a totally Sci Fi panelling) the dorsal spine and canopy. The rear fuselage is a little bit on the thin side ...and you still will have to correct all the panel lines and different hatches.

These PFM and bis models dates from ZVEZDA early efforts that led to their current quality, so I can forgive them. 

I wish they could re-edit it with their new mold and research quality (like for the  Su-27SM / Su-33 or MiG-29C / SMT)

Let's see what Eduard will offer us.

I just hope I will have my  R.V.-ZVEZDA hybrid bis done before.

Madcop :D

19 minutes ago, madcop said:

ZVEZDA 'bis' is based on their earlier PFM. They just changed the tail (with a totally Sci Fi panelling) the dorsal spine and canopy. The rear fuselage is a little bit on the thin side ...and you still will have to correct all the panel lines and different hatches.

No. The front fuselage and nose cone are completely different. Much better.

2 minutes ago, Laurent said:

No. The front fuselage and nose cone are completely different. Much better.

Right Laurent. I just forgot to point that !

Sorry.

Madcop  :worry:

5 hours ago, madcop said:

I wish they could re-edit it with their new mold and research quality (like for the  Su-27SM / Su-33 or MiG-29C / SMT)

As far as I know the person behind the design of the above mentioned kits and many others is no longer with the company. :((  I am sure there are other very tallanted CAD designers out there. . .  

We will have to see.

Best regards

Gabor

52 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

As far as I know the person behind the design of the above mentioned kits and many others is no longer with the company. :((  I am sure there are other very tallanted CAD designers out there. . .  

We will have to see.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

I think I read not so long ago that the person behind ZVEZDA had passed away.  Was this unfortunate person behind the "renewal" of Zvezda and was he also behind the design team ?

Best regards from Brussels.

Madcop.

1 hour ago, spaddad said:

There's a plan?????????

There is a gullible guy  very talented modeller in Northants who I am sure will buy be up for a bargain  purchase at a fair price :whistle:

I am down from 2500 to 589  600 (bought a Mig 21 in Slovakia last week) so far.

13 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Gabor,

Really? With it's too narrow and too low fuselage? Wings and tail surfaces are basic but correct. I once usd the flying surfaces for an F-13.

My mileage will wary but I would start from either new KP or Bilek PFM if I had to do it now. As this is not the case I'll wait for the Eduard.

Cheers,

AaCee

13 hours ago, madcop said:

Hi Gabor,

I think I read not so long ago that the person behind ZVEZDA had passed away.  Was this unfortunate person behind the "renewal" of Zvezda and was he also behind the design team ?

Best regards from Brussels.

Madcop.

The person you are speaking about was the director and founder of Zvezda. Yes he was the person behind Zvezda, he made it all work! He is missed!

But design of CAD and designer of models is a very different person. There are several designers at the company but his work is for instance the fab Mi-24 or the fantastic Su-27, just to mention two. :worthy:

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

The person you are speaking about was the director and founder of Zvezda. Yes he was the person behind Zvezda, he made it all work! He is missed!

But design of CAD and designer of models is a very different person. There are several designers at the company but his work is for instance the fab Mi-24 or the fantastic Su-27, just to mention two. :worthy:

Best regards

Gabor

If the genius behind the Mi-24 and Su-27 has left I am desperate or kind of at least. I had hoped for ZVEZDA to produce MiG-29UB and Su-30/35 Series.

I'll put now all my hopes for two seater MiGs and for Su-17/22 serie in Modelsvit. Their two last kits are just amazing, I mean the MiG-21F and Su-17M3. Both of them are on my workbench.

I also have the Su-7 / Su-7U / Su-17M and Su-20 in my stash and some have been  already worked on. With these models you could already guess the potential of this maker , but  the difference in delicacy between these and the MiG-21F or Su-17M3 is simply amazing and is the proof that they have now reached "maturity" if I may say so.

Anyway, thank you very much for your kind answers and all your precious informations.

Have a nice Sunday.

Best regards.

Madcop. :smile:

The designer of the Mi-24 and all the other recent fighter aircraft (and airliner) kits from Zvezda is very talented and has an excellent eye! At the same time there are several other designers at the company and I am sure they will produce kits of similar quality!

Mind you there were photos that I have shared few years ago from the Zvezda HQ visit, some screen shoots of the then still “in desing” Su-33 and on the side of the screen one was able to see that several other versions, aircraft have also been there as files. We have only seen some of them surface in plastic! I am sure some other designs will follow from the same man, even that now he is no longer there.

Small note, fortunately this is not like with some far eastern companies where people leave (or fired) from a given company and they take with them all the design data, collected information, photos . . . We have seen several such things happening in those far away countries, but this is Europe.

As to the Boss of Zvezda, he was a visionary and a good leader, truly the heart of the company. I have no idea who has taken over (if anyone) his seat and what company changes have been made since then. It is  possible that Kotey could comment on this.

The Modelsvit kits (the latest releases) are excellent, but one has to add that they are only limited run products so will not be able to reach the wider audience. I sincerely hope that they will produce the MiG-21F-13 kit. The base of it is given in the MiG-21F kit, so there should be no reason for missing out on this. I still hold my view that the Modelsvit MiG-21F is the best kit of the Fishbed in 72nd scale! They have shown that even a bigger kit is possible (Tu-22 or Be-12), they are able to produce it. So why not upscale the 72nd kit to 48th. In the quarter scale it would still be a failrly small kit! Please!!!!!!!!!!!  :pray:  :pray:  :pray:

Best regards

Gabor

Totally agree with your post but I would let MODELSVIT go his own path. Do not rush them, let them go their own development speed. As long as they provide us with QUALITY models, I am satisfied.

I have not an ounce of consideration for makers rolling out kits like sausages and looking like them !

If MODELSVIT feels like and have the potential for producing more 1/48 kits I am sure they will. (Already have their Yak-1 and 9). I sincerely  hope they'll do an 1/48 MiG-21F-13 for you and a 1/72 F-13 for me as well !

I can see the true modeller eye behind their models, and that MUST REMAIN, I sincerely wish that they will avoid  that some Far East makers ill-considerate taste for cash-register sound.

The first part of your post brings me hope again...

Thanks again for that.

Madcop.

1 hour ago, madcop said:

I have not an ounce of consideration for makers rolling out kits like sausages and looking like them !

I sincerely wish that they will avoid  that some Far East makers ill-considerate taste for cash-register sound.

Owning a toolshop and a injection machines can be a burden because the employees and machines cannot be left idle. The producer has to release kits even if they aren't very profitable. Also of course the distributors expect regular shipment of cartons too.

Totally agree with your post but I would let MODELSVIT go his own path. Do not rush them, let them go their own development speed. As long as they provide us with QUALITY models, I am satisfied.

If MODELSVIT feels like and have the potential for producing more 1/48 kits I am sure they will. (Already have their Yak-1 and 9). I sincerely  hope they'll do an 1/48 MiG-21F-13 for you and a 1/72 F-13 for me as well !

Modelsvit may not capable of high-pressure injecting 1/48 jets and I believe that 1/72 is still big in eastern Europe.

O.K. Laurent

That all makes me think of that  sheriff's story.  He was very good at his job when sheriff of a small town. As he had  such a good reputation he was called upon to take care a much  bigger town.  And there  he met his fate because when in his small town he was already at the top of his art. Bigger town just didn't fit with his abilities. So he went back to his small town, was happy again, as well as the souls he had to take care of...

Long live ZVEZDA and MODELSVIT.

Have a nice day, and I am always happy when I can read some of your lines.

Allons enfants de la PatriiiiiIe .....

Madcop  :think:

2 hours ago, Laurent said:

Modelsvit may not capable of high-pressure injecting 1/48 jets and I believe that 1/72 is still big in eastern Europe.

-  They make do with big plastic parts OK! So there would be no problem in doing a 48th MiG-21F-13. Most of its parts would be a fraction in size of what for example they made for the Tu-22 in 72nd.

-  They had in the past 48th scale kit!

-  The MiG-21F-13 is a very simple aircraft to make as a model with few and simple parts!! Cost of tooling it would be far less than for a complicated type.

-  They have one advantage over everyone, a perfect CAD taken from the real aircraft!!!!

-  The fact that they make only a limited production series is not an issue. They will sell it all in no time, and since the price of Modelsvit kits is more on the top side, they will have a perfect return of investment. There is no point in investing in very expensive high-pressure injection moulding tools! 

-  No real competition on the market. Eduard is not scheduled (if ever) to add it to its range for years. So . . .

-  On the Russian market the 72nd scale is still very big (so in the West too) but people like 48th too!

But of course I would love to see it in 72nd first. Now the only question which version would it be of the F-13’s? :hmmm:

Best regards

Gabor

• 7 months later...