1/72 - de Havilland D.H.104 Dove/Devon by Amodel - released - Air Graphics sets, AiM decals & Whirlybird conv. set

Homebee

Very pleased with this announcement, AModel are certainly giving devotees of non-mainstream British aircraft some great subjects.Moths, Jetstreams and now the Dove. Lots of civil and military possibilities for the Dove. One of the classic post war types, Rareplanes did a very good vacform in the eighties but I think this will be the first injection moulded kit (?). Happy days!

Cheers, Paul

Love it! I'm in.

Always wanted to build a Biafrian version.

Paul

What about Katanga? I have read Jan Zumbach (commander of both those air forces) autobiography (Mister Brown: Aventures dans le ciel / On Wings of War: My Life as a Pilot Adventurer / Ostatnia walka: Moje życie jako lotnika, przemytnika i poszukiwacza przygód) and so both are tempting for me. If I am correct one Dove was used as a improvised bomber in Katanga.

• Like 1

Your right Botan. I remember seeing a picture of an aircrew sitting in the doorway with a .50 cal for strafing purposes! Not sure what the markings or camo would have been but very interested to know if anyone has any details.

Love the little known African subjects, Katanga, Biafra, Congo, etc.

Cheers Paul

Your right Botan. I remember seeing a picture of an aircrew sitting in the doorway with a .50 cal for strafing purposes! Not sure what the markings or camo would have been but very interested to know if anyone has any details.

Love the little known African subjects, Katanga, Biafra, Congo, etc.

Cheers Paul

This photo is in my copy of Zumbach book. There is other where soldiers and Zumbach are standing and according to description, "bomber de Havilland Dove" is visible in backround, code KAT-22 is visible on tail.

Edited by Botan

I remember at least one of them at Amsterdam Schiphol East in service with Martin's Air Charter and flown by Martin Schröder himself for joyflights over Amsterdam.

Must have been in 1965 or 66, before Schiphol Centre opened in 1967.

It vill go on the Xtradecal list!

Strangely, A-Model don't seem to have told us they are doing it.

David Hannant

Could you please include G-ASMG, the British Aerospace Dunsfold hack???

The Irish Air Corps operated four Doves on and off for around 20 years. The individual aircraft were all different Marks (4,5,7 and 8) - so whatever version A-Model releases, at least one IAC Dove should be doable.

As long as the price isn't too extortionate, I'll definitely buy the A-Model kit.

I built the Rareplanes vacform almost 40 years ago.

• Like 1

How about the CAA operated ones. Like the one hanging in the superhangar at Duxford. I remember seeing a couple doing calibration checks at Gatwick back in the late 60's and 70's.

Can I ask for decals for G-ARDE as she was on the Airshow circuit in the late 80's. I had the honour to be one of her Hangar rats and so have a bit of a soft spot for her.

Photo and detail to 1987..BOAC of all things! Its now hanging from the ceiling of the Al Mahatta Museum (Which from the name is no where near Biggin anymore!)painted up as G-AJPR

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/290794/g-arde-boac-de-havilland-dh104-dove-2

As is now.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:De_Havilland_DH104_Dove_6_%E2%80%98G-AJPR%E2%80%99_(really_G-ARDE)_(21949304816).jpg

There you go,hope its what you want.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

Just what do these manufacturers think they are doing?

Here we are, stashes as big as a planet, all set for when we retire, and now saving up for said retirement. And these people keep on issuing kits that we just have to buy! It goes on and on!

I mean, just HOW are we supposed to prepare for the future if such temptation is put in your way? :thumbsup:

Oh, did I say 'good on yer, AModel, keep up the good work'?

What will be next I wonder?

Cheers,

Ray.

PS Good on Hannants too for saying they will do some transfer sheets too, that of course means we will need to buy extra kits too...

• Like 5

Photo and detail to 1987..BOAC of all things! Its now hanging from the ceiling of the Al Mahatta Museum (Which from the name is no where near Biggin anymore!)painted up as G-AJPR

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/290794/g-arde-boac-de-havilland-dh104-dove-2

As is now.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:De_Havilland_DH104_Dove_6_‘G-AJPR’_(really_G-ARDE)_(21949304816).jpg

There you go,hope its what you want.

Thanks for those. It's such a pity she's been stuffed and hung from a museum's ceiling. BTW both schemes are accurate (but not for that airframe).

For anyone considering modelling this aircraft in these schemes when she was restored at Cranfield the silver was from the Nissan car range!

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Well this is terrible news. I'm

broke, have a stash that is affecting the earth orbit and mainly unable to model at the moment.

So they go and announce this! 

Im going to have to sell a kidney to buy one :confused: .

Never mind, I've got two :) .

Come on Amodel please get it released before Christmas.

Decal wise a Royal Flying Doctor Service option would be fantastic, and I wonder if someone like Red Roo would do a Drover conversion set?

All best regards

Tony T

A quick Google shows Whirlybirds have released this for Congo types:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1016538-whirlybird-models-wba72152-congo-fac-dove

and for those interested in the Katanga aircraft, Omega have been on the case for a while:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/137630-omega-models-72496-de-havilland-dove

TonyT

• Like 1

• 2 months later...