Academy 1/32 F-16 In Belgian Air Force Markings

My First posting of one of my Completed aircraft. This is Academy's 1/32 F-16CJ. The aircraft I have modeled is actually an A model, so I already know that it isn't an exact replica of BAF FA-121. This aircraft depicts FA-121 in 95th Anniversary tail markings of Belgian 1 Squadron. The pics were taken in different light, so it looks blue in one angle and grey in another. Was just getting back into building on this one and learned alot. I also have the Tamiya F-16 which I still plan on building. The Academy kit was OK, but I experienced alot of fit issues as many reviews have pointed out.

Joe

IMG_0293_zpso6nlcomf.jpg

IMG_0294_zpsakama4cd.jpg

IMG_0281_zpshfz2jaok.jpg

IMG_0332_zps1qunvmka.jpg

IMG_0330_zps0bkdsoaw.jpgIMG_0331_zpsznlqlmpn.jpg

• Like 21

Lovely build and finish. I like the weathering muchly. Keep up the great work. Best wishes. :evil_laugh:

albamac

Wow! What a beauty! That's one grubby F-16! Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but ticks all my boxes!! Superb!

Thanks for sharing!

Pearse

PS. the Tamiya kit is a joy to build! Your gonna love it!

Edited by mixup_1

Thank you for all of your kind comments. I tend to build dirty (I prefer "used") aircraft, I love the "Lived in look". However, I do use actual aircraft as inspiration for my builds (like a Hollywood War move - "Based on an Actual Incident"). This particular aircraft is BAF FA-121 - F-16A Block 20 MLU. It went into service with the BAF in April 1990. Some of the BAF F-16's came into service in 1979. These aircraft are fairly old and they look it. Again, my aircraft are representations of the aircraft, not a part for part copy. Thanks again for the encouraging comments, gives me the courage to post more.

FA121-2_zpsc18zga77.jpg

FA121-6_zpsy6myftqq.jpg

IMG_0693_zpskqghypf6.jpg

FA121_zpsmoirsleb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Sam. I was the same way, had a big stash and no F-16's. Then I saw a picture of the Belgian F-16 with the 95th Anniversary tail paint. I read some F-16 reviews, went on EBay and suddenly I had a Hasegawa, Academy and Tamiya 1/32 F-16's. Ended up selling the Hase, built the Academy and have a what if idea for the Tamiya F-16. Looking forward to the Tamiya build.

That looks amazing to me, my friend! To my eye, it looks just like the real thing....

You mentioned the kit has some fit issues - what were the main ones?

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.

Chris, thanks for the kind words. The biggest issue was with the air intake. The intake is a four piece affair and getting the seams right is fairly difficult. The fit of the intake to the fuselage is not that great either and required more putty than I would have liked. After I finished the intake, I saw a site where the builder glued the pieces together, taped off the back end, then filled the intake with white acrylic house paint. He allowed it to set a short period of time then removed the tape and let the excess paint run out the back end, leaving a white coating that covered the seam. It looked very convincing. Not sure where I saw that, but thought it was a cool method.

Joe