Spice Mining and Sandworm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I'm busy with other stuff at the moment for someone else, so I don't have much spare time for my own projects. I really want to get back to it but when I do have more time I ought to finish the Pteras, 00 Raiser and maybe Jedha dio first.

[edit] I had no idea Maiden did a Dune song. Too cool :horns:

Sorry!

Will

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 months later...

I had some primer left in the airbrush cup and thought I should put it to good use:

39386439591_a27c383d48_b.jpg

This is a Dhole from Cthulhu Wars, it's a hard vinyl boardgame piece. Great detail but the only way to clean up the seams is by paring with a very sharp blade as you can't really sand the stuff :( At least they were fairly minimal and hopefully I haven't created too many flats in the process.

Once it was primed (Alclad Grey) I thought I should add some paint, so I sprayed Hull Red, Flat Earth and Deck Tan/Wooden Deck Tan highlights - all Tamiya acrylics.

27609367349_63eac8e63e_b.jpg

39386444701_cbf775aaed_b.jpg

A bit bland at the moment, but hopefully it'll be a good base for some brushwork. I need to increase the orange-ness and add quite a bit of red and pink and purple to the mouth and the slits.

I know sandworms shouldn't really have slits, they'd interfere with the whole Maker Hook business, but I think that overall it looks the part?

PS: Sorry this update is so long in coming, especially in this thread but in terms of forum posts too, the last month has been busy and full of distractions of all kinds. I guess I should go and do a yearbook post tomorrow...

Cheers,

Will

• Like 12

Do you own a set of Cthulhu Wars? I've been tempted several times but its a big expense.

The Dhole fits well - if necessary you could always fill the slits, but I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

• Like 1

Thanks all, it feels good to be making a little forward progress again. I did some brush painting last night, focussing on the pink bits although the skin had an overall wash as well to warm it up a bit:

27660634739_6b3fe04c39_b.jpg

I think that the slits are now too pink and I need to do something to bring them back toward the skin colour? Maybe glaze with earth colour and then include them in whatever overall drybrushing I do, so they end up being a mix of internal and external?

Will

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

looks pretty impressive to me :idea:

Thing is, I have been here before watching Will’s builds, you think no it is fine as it is, then Will makes a change and I’m “oooh that looks good!”

watching this with with a great deal of interest Will. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Chief Smeg said:

Thing is, I have been here before watching Will’s builds, you think no it is fine as it is, then Will makes a change and I’m “oooh that looks good!”

"Past performance is no guarantee of future results."

I had a suggestion on Facebook that the slits could be dealt with as headcanon by claiming they're gills which open to breath when the worm surfaces, like whales. I thought that was pretty cool :) I added some pink flecks to the segments to suggest spiracles and then went over the raised surfaces with a bright orange as a glaze/highlight. I've also added a very thin glaze/wash of this to the skin to bring the hues closer together:

39459787481_639b7c296e_b.jpg

Oh yes and the teeth :) Remember the teeth.

I think in the light of day I might need to go back and neaten a few of them up, the ones in the throat were a pain to get to and aren't very well shaped either. Probably because they were a pain to get to when sculpting the master! I went and found my series 7 brush today and did some highlighting and tweaks to the teeth with that, I think it might be time to move the Tamiya HG brush (which has done very nicely for the past couple of years) to precision drybrushing, washes etc. since the point is starting to lose its original laser-like precision.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 5

Now that's a great start to my new year.....Cheers Will (nice work on the teeth too)!  :thumbsup:

PS - Not sure about the slightly shiny/moist look on the pink sections, reckon this needs to be as matt as a matt thing.

• Like 1

I agree it should be pretty matt in order to look big, although I think a slight sheen in the slits is ok. One of the washes I've used is gloss but I'll be varnishing later to tone that down.

Although I need to be careful about that - the figure is vinyl-ish and I don't want a repeat of Judge Anderson :(

W

6 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

I don't want a repeat of Judge Anderson :(

What happened? 

Actually, if that's the Anderson you did on here, with the textured effect bodysuit, I'm not sure I want to know.....That figure was a masterpiece!  :undecided:

PS - Surely the only 'shine' on a sandworm would be metallic chunks of crawler stuck in its teeth.....They don't like water much.  :nerd:

• Like 1

I put her away for a while in a ziplock bag to keep dust off, and when I went and found her again a few months later to do a bit more, she was sticky. I think the enamel varnish didn't dry fast enough owing to the bag, and that allowed the plasticisers time to leach out and stop it from ever curing. I've got her in a nice airy case at the moment and it seemed to be getting better for a while but hasn't corrected itself :( Her head is fine though as I never varnished that.

I was going to try an acrylic clear coat but I think I probably need to try and remove the enamels with thinner and see if I can save the paint job. Or strip and start again!

As I understand it, the vinyl's softness comes from plasticiser and this stops the enamel curing reaction from happening properly. So it shouldn't be a problem to remove the enamel as it's not the vinyl that's chemically damaged, just the varnish.

In happier news, I've done some more on the Sandworm's skin:

25592959448_0dc5764daa_b.jpg

I glazed the mid shadows with Castellan Green, and the highlights with Vomit Brown, then washed all the skin folds with Agrax Earthshade. Once that was dry I drybrushed with Vomit Brown, Fire Dragon Bright, Flayed One Flesh and Pallid Wych Flesh in increasingly small areas, then finally washed the whole model except the mouth with a mix of Reikland Fleshshade and Lahmian Medium.

I think the folds are a little dark and blobby, and might need to be redefined with some fine line work in paint, but otherwise I'm pretty happy :)

39463364041_013b90d501_b.jpg

The side view is a touch weird, I'll need to get the angle right when I base it.

Will
  • Like 5

Hope you can save her Will, definitely one of my favourite figure builds and one I've shown to several friends online and off.  :pray:

Looking much drier on the worm front, are you going to risk using pigments or do you think they would look too coarse?  :hmmm:

• Like 1

Thanks, I think it's just a matter of psyching myself up and trying it. It wouldn't be that hard to repaint her, I suppose - apart from the belt, most of the tricky work was in the conversion.

I think pigments would be a great idea, they're generally very fine, but I think I'll wait until I bed it in to the ground and treat it all at the same time?

W

• Like 2

On 03/01/2018 at 3:23 AM, Will Vale said:

It wouldn't be that hard to repaint her, I suppose - apart from the belt, most of the tricky work was in the conversion.

That's great news.....We get to see you work miracles all over again!  :yahoo:

• 3 years later...

I agree with Sgt Squarehead  👍

Superb bit of scratchbuilding on the harvester .... The worm looks superb to me .

I saw the film's remake a couple of days ago .... Would love to this finished   😍

• Thanks 1