Spice Mining and Sandworm

Although not a huge fan of 'EEEH-PIIIC' sci-fi operas like Dune (I have the attention-span of a minnow), it is undeniably a great classic and I've always been fairly captivated by some of the concepts in the stories -this is one inspired project!

Great work so far, can't wait to see it done.

• Like 1

There are some moulded teeth (with relief) in the worm's mouth already, although there aren't really enough. I was hoping I could paint them and it'd look OK, I guess we'll see.

Will

Perhaps tiny dots of thick acrylic gel medium applied and spiked with a toothpick could be used to create lots of tiny 'teeth'? I was going to experiment with my own stuff but the screw-cap has split and the contents of the tube are half dried and useless, unfortunately.

The spice harvester is looking great.

Ross.

• Like 1

Perhaps tiny dots of thick acrylic gel medium applied and spiked with a toothpick could be used to create lots of tiny 'teeth'?

That's not a bad idea, thanks! If I mixed it with white paint it could form the shape and colour it in one step.

I haven't had a lot of time the last week but I did manage to get some aluminium tube and make some hydraulics for the header arms. I wanted to add cylinders to raise the V-shaped brackets but they'd be so clunky, so I think I'm going to drill holes and rig it with line later - as though it's lifted with a winch or capstan on the end of the arm.

24798092789_9ab207c5fb_b.jpg

I also started doing some work on the hull. I made the spacers which set the width originally to suit the grilles liberated from a T-55, but having tried it out (see pic) I think it won't work and I'd be better off making a recess and filling that with nurnies.

The weird round piece I like though, that's now more symmetrical than it was and will fit inside nicely. I also started boxing in the back.

Will try and do a bit more on this over the coming week since the club newsletter is once again out of the way for a few weeks.

Cheers,

Will

• Like 6

Mmmmmmmmmm. Shai Hulud.

I have continued to add details and fill in the hull properly, I'm not sure they're all as well thought through as the header though. I added this nice vent piece (from a Green Max loco kit) because it fit well, but I think it's in the wrong place vis-a-vis the cockpit and might get covered up or removed. There's a load of Madhatter-style styrene bits in the channels on the back too but they're completely invisible at the moment!

25070498562_11824261f8_b.jpg

The big round piece fits nicely in the front though, I added a tank wheel to the bottom and it needs a spacer to sit flat. I think I'll drill the lower part for the spice hoses rather than have them go in through the ports at the top.

25095514791_2d03c3e0dd_b.jpg

At the back I faired in the plastic additions and made up some spice tanks from leftover marine pack thruster parts and some bits from a PzKfw IV I think?

24893138420_547550bc94_b.jpg

I started with cylindrical tanks here (about the same diameter as the end-caps) but then found the conical pieces and I think they fit a lot better.

Need to resolve the cab and add some pipes and things, maybe do a bit more to the chassis/body interface, and then primer!

Cheers,

Will

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of doings on this, Judge Anderson is currently taking up my bench space. I have been thinking about the cockpit though!

I was wondering about lighting it but I think I'll take the easy option and not bother. An LED in the red bit would be easy enough, but it really needs some work lights/flood lights which'd be harder.

Cheers,

Will

• 8 months later...

I too am a fan of Dune having read the book some ages ago! :D

I personally found the Chris Foss paintings for a proposed Dune movie very inspiring!

The actual movie that was later made by David Lynch took a very different approach vehiclewise, but exiting nonetheless.

And Will Vale - remember - real art can't be rushed! :winkgrin:

Cheers :bye:

Hans J

Or most any build of mine.  :blush:

Would love to see this one move on though, it's a really cool (and apparently rather popular) subject and you've already made a great start.  :coolio:

Perhaps some inspiration might help:

Dune_Concept_Art_Illustration_01_Mark_Ke

755_max.jpg

Dune_Concept_Art_Illustration_01_Sparth1

• Like 5

• 7 months later...

I really want to!

But I have to finish my Zoid, paint more Nurglemen, and probably finish a Tiger 2 before the end of August for a club thing. Still, the Zoid went really fast when I actually, y'know, spent time on it :)

Will

• Like 2

• 1 month later...