1/72 - Grumman J2F Duck by Valom - J2F-1/2/2A/3/4/5 & 6 released

Homebee

A new 1/72 Grumman Duck is excellent news!

As for the earlier vs. later versions.... Consider this: like some other vendors, Valom is known to have released / announced several variations of the same kit in the past (e.g. Fouga Magister; F-101). It may well prove to be the same with the Duck in due course.

Just now, Kevin Callahan said:

I like the way you think. I've always wanted a Hendon but couldn't generate the long-term commitment for the vac. 

Me either. I had a chance to buy one at a modelling show once, but prudence and a lack of quid stopped me. However, I would love a Hendon in IM in 1/72nd scale. Followed by a Virginia/Valentia. I can dream, can't I?

Regards,

Jason

47 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Followed by a Virginia/Valentia. I can dream, can't I?

That is a dream of me too! But the early Duck is also interesting. I think the differencies were bigger than only cowling. (?)

J-W

• Like 1

On 09/11/2017 at 22:38, Blackfordhibby said:

Ooh! Can you do the Duck from Murphy's War with  one of these ? Does anyone do the decals ? If I remember correctly the film aircraft didn't have a cowling ???

Peter

Yes, and very oversize markings too. Which should not be too hard to obtain from the spares box.

Thomo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Yes, and very oversize markings too. Which should not be too hard to obtain from the spares box.

Thomo.

Cheers Thomo

Did a wee bit hunting after my post, do believe it's a J2F-6. The A/C used in the film is at Wright Patterson Museum. It has been repainted in Rescue Squadron markings and regained its engine cowling. Probably be Letrasett for the RN/MS Mount Kyle on the fuselage. Wouldn't normally build a figment of someone's imagination, but i'd bend the rules for that one.

Peter

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is that a vac canopy with no injected alternative? Yikes. That would be a dealbreaker for me unless the type is something I have been wanting for ages. Which the Duck isn't. I have no issue with including a vac canopy as an alternate, but in 2019 there should be at least an injected one as primary. 

48 minutes ago, Kevin Callahan said:

Is that a vac canopy with no injected alternative? Yikes. That would be a dealbreaker for me unless the type is something I have been wanting for ages. Which the Duck isn't. I have no issue with including a vac canopy as an alternate, but in 2019 there should be at least an injected one as primary. 

I have built the kit and yes , they supply two vac canopy , both around 0.5-1mm wider than the fuselage on either side - this is an error that is simply unfixable . No matter what you do to mate the canopy frame with the fuselage , it will show . 

Rest of the kit also pose significant build issues - especially the outside struts that are around 2mm too short requiring boots to jack the wing up to correct height. I put in lot of work in my model and still hate how it looks.  

Have built two valom kits and they are the two worst models I have ever assembled in my life. AVOID LIKE PLAGUE . 

23 hours ago, Basuroy said:

No matter what you do to mate the canopy frame with the fuselage , it will show . 

A slim wedge shaped spacer in the fuselage join before & after the cockpit opening would probably work to accommodate the width of the canopy & at the same time have little effect on the rest of the kit. No, you shouldn't have to do it but sometimes needs must. This was a fix used by some people on the overwidth Hampden clear parts that Valom did, unnecessary now AZ have brought out their fix for this. other kits have needed similar fixes, it not uncommon.  No, don't ask to to recall exactly which kits & when, my memory isn't that good but I do know I've read of such on several occasions.

Steve.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...