1/35 MENG Mk.A Whippet, B Company, 6th Battalion, Tank Corps, British Army, May 1918.

plasmahal

1/35 MENG Mk.A Whippet, B Company, 6th Battalion, Tank Corps, British Army, May 1918.
Some background on the Mk.A Whippet:
The Medium Mark A Whippet was a British tank of the First World War. It was intended to complement the slower British heavy tanks by using its relative mobility and speed in exploiting any break in the
enemy lines.[2] Whippets later took part in several of the British Army's postwar actions, notably in Ireland, North Russia and Manchuria.
Onto the box and sprues.
DSCF3351.JPG
DSCF3352.JPG
DSCF3354.JPG
DSCF3355.JPG
DSCF3356.JPG
DSCF3357.JPG
DSCF3358.JPG
DSCF3359.JPG
DSCF3360.JPG
DSCF3361.JPG

Update One

As usual with MENG, it looks to be a well engineered and detailed kit. It went together over the course of a few hours with no fit issues.

Starting of with the main hull and adding the front plate.

DSCF3363.JPG

Then it was a start on the turret assembly.

DSCF3364.JPG

Adding more to the turret assembly.

DSCF3365.JPG

Once the turret assembly was completed, it is attached to the main hull.

DSCF3366.JPG

DSCF3367.JPG

Then lower hull plating is added.

DSCF3368.JPG

Then the four machine guns are fitted along with the engine intake lourves and exhausts.

DSCF3370.JPG

Then is was the long task to remove, clean and assemble the wheels and sprockets.

DSCF3371.JPG

Once the wheels were all done, it time to start assembling the track sponsons.

DSCF3372.JPG

I used some white tack just hold the idler wheels in place during assembly.

DSCF3373.JPG

One track sponson complete.

DSCF3374.JPG

With the other sponson completed, they were added to the hull.

DSCF3375.JPG

DSCF3376.JPG

The last task of the day was to add the spare tracks and the tools.

DSCF3377.JPG

DSCF3378.JPG

The tracks and the cables will be assemble and painted separately and added later.

• Like 5

Update Two

The tracks links were removed from the sprues and the nubs removed. This took an hour or two. Tow cables were assembled with CA glue.

DSCF3380.JPG

Then everything was primed with black Stynylrez.

DSCF3384.JPG

The MENG colours in the instructions show a very dark green tank colour and it's generally accepted that the colour in WW1 was more a muddy brown

with a hint of green. I tried a custom mix with XF-52 flat earth, XF-55 deck tan and XF-67 nato green but I added too much green and had to add some

XF-72 brown/JGSDF as i had run out of XF-52.

I think it came out OK in the end. With shading, washes and filters etc, it's going to change colour again.

The tracks and cables were painted with XF-84, dark iron.

DSCF3387.JPG

• Like 2

Update Four

So I have finished off the primary painting phase with the red and white stripes, machine guns, exhausts and the wooden blocks.

As the machine gun ports were round, I used a white tack worm and tamiya tape to mask them for painting.

DSCF3394.JPG

DSCF3395.JPG

DSCF3398.JPG

Edited by plasmahal
  • Like 4

That's looking very nice.

As a point of interest re one of the markings, the David Fletcher's book Tanks and Trenches mentions that the large red IX marking was added 19 Sept 18 when the 6th Battalion (plus the 5th and 9th) were "allocated to IX Corps from Army Reserve", prior to the attack on the Hindenburg Line.

• Like 1

Update Five

The whippet was gloss coated with alclad aqua gloss and left to cure. Then the decals were added and left overnight after using micro set and sol.

Then after the decals were inspected and found to have settled nicely, another coat of alclad aqua gloss was added and left to cure.

DSCF3399.JPG

DSCF3402.JPG

To start the weathering off, I mixed some black and brown clay based wash and added in some thinners. I used this as a pin wash.

DSCF3405.JPG

DSCF3406.JPG

This was Then cleaned up and the whippet received a matt varnish ready for the next stage.

DSCF3407.JPG

DSCF3411.JPG

• Like 6