Sea Fury in South Africa?

Paul Bradley

A photo I acquired recently. It's Sea Fury VR951, Q/108(?) of 802 Sqn, HMS Vengeance. It was probably taken during the cruise off South Africa in 1948, alongside some other, familiar, photos that you see in the books. My question is - where was this taken?

VR951_zpshchvgarz.jpg

It is likely South Africa. The control tower/terminal/watch office complex is quite distinctive, but I've been unable to find a photo of anything remotely similar. Does anyone know where this was/is?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I'd recognize that beautiful old tower anywhere Paul, it's the tower at AFB Swartkop just outside Valhalla near Pretoria. I used to be stationed there at a unit called JARIC before the unit moved to AFB Waterkloof (Kloof).

Is it for a project you're working on? Anyway hope that information helps.

• Like 1

With the doors closed any oil from the engine could/would run around the door edges thus going further outboard than the fuselage centre line? I can't imagine it's from the prop, that much oil would indicate a catastrophic failure of the constant speed unit, and the spinner doesn't look excessively dirty but the fuselage aft of the exhaust looks a bit oily.....

Hi!

Are there oil stains on the undercarriage doors? Quite a distance from the fuselage to originate from an engine, I guess. Could at least some of those stains be hydraulic fluid from the propeller's constant speed unit? Regards

Jure

With the doors closed any oil from the engine could/would run around the door edges thus going further outboard than the fuselage centre line? I can't imagine it's from the prop, that much oil would indicate a catastrophic failure of the constant speed unit, and the spinner doesn't look excessively dirty but the fuselage aft of the exhaust looks a bit oily.....

From my experience operating these things on the RAN Historic Flight it will be oil that has blown out of the bottom exhausts and made its way down to the lower fuselage

and out into the slip stream.

The Centaurus is a filthy thing.

• Like 1

Hi!

Yes, oil from exhaust would also explain stains/dirt on the lower wing surface between the leading edge and the undercarriage doors. Browsing through various publications showed that oil stained surfaces had been quite common on Sea Fury. Steve, I assume oil had been dripping from the engine into the lowest of the exhausts between flights? Regards

Jure

I'd recognize that beautiful old tower anywhere Paul, it's the tower at AFB Swartkop just outside Valhalla near Pretoria. I used to be stationed there at a unit called JARIC before the unit moved to AFB Waterkloof (Kloof).

Is it for a project you're working on? Anyway hope that information helps.

Thanks for the info, sir! This was indeed for a project - a caption for my book, now published, but adds another brick to the Great Wall of Knowledge.

From my experience operating these things on the RAN Historic Flight it will be oil that has blown out of the bottom exhausts and made its way down to the lower fuselage

and out into the slip stream.

The Centaurus is a filthy thing.

The AD Skyraider was the same, and a bugger to keep clean - many a petrol-soaked rag went through my hands.....

Hi!

Yes, oil from exhaust would also explain stains/dirt on the lower wing surface between the leading edge and the undercarriage doors. Browsing through various publications showed that oil stained surfaces had been quite common on Sea Fury. Steve, I assume oil had been dripping from the engine into the lowest of the exhausts between flights? Regards

Jure

Usually oil thats collected in the bottom cylinders getting blown out on start up, one of the joys of sleeve valve engines

is they dont clear the oil on the preflight pull through like a poppet valve engine does.

The AD Skyraider was the same, and a bugger to keep clean - many a petrol-soaked rag went through my hands.....

Ah yes, the dreaded "Occers wash" For some reason I got really bad dermatitis when I started working on radial engined aircraft.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, sir! This was indeed for a project - a caption for my book, now published, but adds another brick to the Great Wall of Knowledge.

You're welcome although it sounds like I may have been a little too late.

I'm intrigued however, what's the name of your book?

Congratulations on your book, Paul (and to finally receiving a copy - one the strangest experiences about my Il-2 book was being told how nice it was by people who had already bought it whilst I had yet to receive my copy!). Your Sea Fury book is definitely on on my list of to-buy books. I believe the (Sea) Fury is the most beautiful radial-engined fighter ever built and always a favourite of mine.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1