1/144 - Lockheed C-141A & B Starlifter by Roden - C-141B released - C-141A in processing

Homebee

2 hours ago, Mike Esposito said:

Very disappointed they will not release the C-141A. Too much work to convert the stretch B. 🤬

It seems like a relatively simple conversion: just cut-and-shut the appropriate sections out of the B fuselage and delete the IFR probe. It’s certainly a lot easier to make an A from a B than to go the other way.

2 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

It seems like a relatively simple conversion: just cut-and-shut the appropriate sections out of the B fuselage and delete the IFR probe. It’s certainly a lot easier to make an A from a B than to go the other way.

Yes it looks simple on paper.  However, I'm really nervous about attempting it as it will be first kit I've done such major surgery on. Ah well, you know what they say - You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs. 

In this case, I won't just be turning a C-141B into a C141A, but I'll also be turning it into the Kuiper Airborne Observatory, so I also have to cut a rectangular hole in the fuselage and model the telescope and some interior detail, but I also have to fashion the sliding door (the removed section of fuselage from the B to A surgery should come in handy there) and make an aerodynamic cowling that sits between the telescope opening and the wing root.  I certainly know how to make things hard for myself!

I want to make the model of the plane making observations in flight at night, so I've ordered some n guage seated figures who can be painted up to look like flight crew.  I'm also considering adding some subtle interior lights to mimic the glow of the instrument panels.  I must be mad!

I've managed to source some decals (thanks Alain, you are a star), so once they arrive.   I'll start planning the surgery.

• Like 1