Removing old enamel paint. Best way?

Rick Brown

Sorry to wake this one up again.

The Mr Muscle oven cleaner", I can only get the spray in Morrisons.

Is it the same stuff?

I've an old sprue in it at the moment to see if it does any damage.

Rick.

Sorry to wake this one up again.

The Mr Muscle oven cleaner", I can only get the spray in Morrisons.

Is it the same stuff?

I've an old sprue in it at the moment to see if it does any damage.

Rick.

Hi Rick,

stop smegging about with hydraulic fluid, domestos & all the other cr*p, trust me, Mr. Muscle is the bizz. I'm currently fairly skint so am recycling some of the models I made 30 or more years ago and have stripped 4 or 5 now. My m.o. is put model in asda freezer bag, nuke it with MM, close bag, leave it for a bit, take it out & wash in a dish (in case any bits drop off & to save the gunk produced from gunking up the sink) using an old 1" paint brush. Repeat if necessary.

The spray stuff is what you need. I never used to use gloves & I still have both hands & a full complement of finger nails, it doesn't half get your hands clean, I have now started to glove up but I only use the really thin surgical style gloves to retain sensitivity.

You really need to trust me on this.

spad

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The parts have been in the gunk for 24+ hrs, with a good few scrubs, and some more of the paint stuff has come off.

It's still present though, gawd only knows what sort of paint it was!

Most of the parts will be fine now, but the wheels have gone back in for another day.

Really frustrating.

Rick.

Huzzah!

MM hasn't failed me yet but sometimes you need a couple of applications and sometimes, weirdly, the odd patch will remain whatever you nuke it with, probably some sort of trans-dimensional overspray from a parallel universe or sumfink.

• Like 1

+1 for the Mr Muscle spray oven cleaner!

I've just stripped back my Tamiya Mini that I'd naievely primed with Humbrol Matt Enamel - Trainer Yellow. I'd then covered it in two or three coats of Revell Aqua Color Orange, and a further two coats of Humbrol Clear Gloss Varnish. The crazing of the gloss and softening of the colour coat meant that I'd have to strip it right back.

I put all of the parts into one of those tupperware-like plastic Chinese takeaway cartons that up until now my wife has never understood me keeping, and sprayed a load of Mr Muscle in and watched the foam start expanding before putting the lid on and leaving for about an hour. When I went back I rinsed it all off under the hot tap and a lot of the acrylic stuff started to come away, or at least blister up exposing the enamel primer underneath. I then sprayed them with Mr Muscle again and went out for 4 hours. This time when I rinsed them (again, under the hot tap) everything just came straight off without scrubbing. The white plastic of the kit now has a very slight yellowed staining from the primer, but all of the paint has totally gone!

I've just sprayed another load of MM in and will see if this removes the stain, but as for a paint stripper, it's marvellous.

I'd recommend spraying this stuff over a sink, just in case there's any overspray. I'd also recommend rinsing the sink immediately afterwards as if there's any chrome on the taps, plug etc, Mr Muscle will attack it.

UPDATE: The yellow staining has gone from most areas after leaving it to soak in MM a day and a bit. There is still some very faint yellow staining but it appears to be limited to the areas that I sanded prior to priming, so I guess that they keyed surface holds on to the the paint, but I don't think it's enough to cause any problems with repainting.

Edited by AndersP
  • Like 2

Well it's failed to remove whatever this SRX has on it!

It still has a weird, white, powder left behind after stripping a metallic coat off.

I have no idea what this paint was, but it aint shifting!

Most of the kit is now usable, but the wheels are going to be a problem.

Rick.

Is it really a problem, it could be a chemical effect on the plastic, or is it actually a coat of white powder? If it looks like it's able to take a coat of paint just paint it, if it is a white powder try a suede brush to get it off, alternatively get a new model!

Good Morning Chaps :bye:

Hi Rick

I know this is scoffed at by most modellers, but soak the sprues in Dettol for about 24hrs.

Get a big bottle of dettol, add that and an equal amount of water (fill the same bottle with water) and just let it lie for 24 hours.

(whizz forward 24hrs)

The dettol makes the paint turn to jelly. clean it all off with an old toothbrush, then wipe as much as you can with a cloth/teatowel, then only rinse under water.

(following that sequence is important, because if you use water to wash off the jelly it turns to goo that dont shift)

Some pics below of a Tamiya Subaru I did.

004.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

020.jpg

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi not sure if it will work on paint as i have not tried it yet , but Traffic Film Remover / truck wash which is available at motor factors Ā removes chrome plated parts every time Ā if used undiluted on vehicle paint it removes the shine after so long , so hopefully it should work on model paint , the only problem is the smallest amount is 5 litre containers

• Like 1

Thanks chaps.

I've not tried detol yet, worth a punt as the SRX looks a nice kit.

As for the Revell stuff Nocoolname, that has worked the best so far, but hasn't completely removed it.

Rick.

7 minutes ago, Panzer Vor!!! said:

Blowtorch -------never fails Ā guaranteed 100 % success rateĀ :whistle:

Ā 

Cant you still buy Modelstrip came in Ā white tubs a white paste cover model wait 24 hrs then rinse off ??

I had some model strip, not sure if you can still get it though, but it turned to rock when left unused for a few years.

Ā 

Rick.

I've just used " Biostrip " to remove the paint from a second hand Buccaneer model , about half an hour in the stuff and the paint came right off. Admittedly only a single coat of enamel but it seemed to work well. Got it on Ebay.

Ā 

Andrew

• Like 1