DH Sea Devon based in scotland

TOPGUN88

I used to own the whole collection of TAKE OFF magazines but sadly dont have them any more.I remember from one that consentrated on the royal navy birds post war and present that had a large side profile of a DH Sea Devon with a saltire flag on the tail. Being from bonnie Scotland and having a DH dove/Devon by magna models to make I am quiet intrigued to know if there was a station flight Devon at say RNAS Gannet or even RNAS Fulmar?

Thanks graham. have now found the picture that I was looking for and it does have a saltire on the fin. The aircraft is XJ322 of RNAS Prestwick Station Communications Flight.

There were also XJ348 AND XJ319 which had the fishery protection pennant on the fin but I can't remember if they were based or just detached to Prestwick.

The Lossie stn flt ones didn't carry the '683LM' marking but (in XJ322's case certainly) had RNAS Lossiemouth across the fin.

Richard

XJ322 is also listed as LM/683 at one time, and was at Lossie's Station Fight more than once, so markings are likely to have changed at different times. I saw it had been an Admiral's barge and didn't look any further XJ319 is listed as serving at Prestwick (and Lossie) but XJ348 isn't. What date was it that it carried this flag?.

Graham..I'll need to get back to you with a date as the pic is undated.

Quite a few Lossie aircraft had the code allocations but didn't actually wear them.

Given that my memory is of seeing aircraft over 50 years ago,I'll consult a friend who is a walking encyclopedia on all things 'Fulmar'

From the splendid Squadrons of the Fleet Air Arm, by Ray Sturtivant, Air Britain 1984:

SeaDevon-prestwick_zpsebnvpmip.jpg

She is listed as on Prestwick Station Flight from Jan 74 to June 75. Previously, '322 was with Lossiemouth Station Flight in the sixties.

Edited by Paul Bradley

The pics I saw were on the Air Britain site.

One has XJ348 with the pennant in 1970 and still wearing it in another in 1980. She is preserved in Germany and still wears it.

I saw her at Prestwick but she may just have been visiting.

There is a good pic of XJ322 in the station flight hangar at Lossie on www.NA3T.org site.

Thanks very much guys. That is quiet cool. I am deffinately gonna make a prestwick flight devon. never been to prestwick but i understand that there is now an airshow there every year now that leuchars has stopped :-(

Airshow is over two days with the flying display along the Ayr seafront on the Saturday with the static at the airport on the Sunday.

Although a shadow of what it was in the sixties and seventies, Prestwick is still an interesting place with many varied visiting aircraft.

Have a look at this site :

http://www.egpk.com/

Richard

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I cant see these pics anymore and would really like some pics of some sea devons that were based in scotland now that I have an Amodel kit. Anybody have any?