111 Sqn Phantom FG.1 XT864 Zaps

Jon Freeman

Hi all.

Can anyone show or tell me what the tiny zaps say or look like on XT864 circa 1988?

It's the airframe with the Blue Bird artwork on the fin sides.

The zap info I'm after are really tiny just after the 'BJ' codes on the fin plus there's an extra one in front of the right hand side bird.

These markings are on ModelDecal sheet 97 (?) and are numbered 27 & 28 on that sheet.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

Looking at my ModelDecal set although the writing is extremely small I too can just make out the letters 'UNK' numbered 28.

As for numbers 26 and 27 these zaps are even harder to make out, but my best guess is 'Art by the 43F Quartet' .

Can anyone confirm this is correct?

best

Paul

They can just be made out on page 102 of Patrick Martins British Phantoms Vol 2 1979-1992.

Written it appears in the same blue as the bird after the J is 'UNK'

Hi Jon,

There's a black and white version of the same photo in 'The Phantom Story' by Tony Thornborough (p81). The letters after BJ are definitely 'UNK'. Looking at my copy of Modeldecal sheet 97 under magnification, I agree with Paul, the other wording looks like 'Art by the 43F Quartet', the first word is not distinct but the first character is almost certainly an A. It looks as these were written with a black marker pen on the original.

I believe Duncan B was on 111Sqn at the time, perhaps he'll remember. Alternatively you could try Patrick Martin for higher resolution copies of the pictures or maybe a contact for Dick Ward.

HTH,

Jonathan