Restored Flying Scotsman

nheather

I don't know much about steam trains, all I know is from train sets and books from my childhood.

But when I saw film of the recently restored Flying Scotsman it didn't look right to me so I did some Googling to check.

So why is the restored Flying Scotsman

Black rather than green

Have cheek plates on the front of the boiler

I would have thought it would have been restored to reflect its most famous moment.

Cheers,

Nigel

I think the black is a Base coat as they will later put a BR or LNER green finish on. This while they're doing early tests and running in, the black with NE markings is sort of authentic WW2 livery for some Pacific's. The "German" style smoke deflector plates (either side of the smokebox) stop drifting smoke obscuring signals and were fitted to A3s in the 60's; I think FS carried them when she was first bought by Alan Peter from BR so they are OK with either green livery. By the time of the BBC film, 1968, the deflectors had gone and she had a second tender as water was less available round the system.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

Thanks glad to know that it is going to be green, LNER I presume.

I think they should finish it to match what it looked like when it set the records - I don't think it had smoke deflectors on then. Plus I think it looks better without them.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks glad to know that it is going to be green, LNER I presume.

I think they should finish it to match what it looked like when it set the records - I don't think it had smoke deflectors on then. Plus I think it looks better without them.

Cheers,

Nigel

Yeh, kind of agree - but it is BR Green as livery of choice for me - as it is mechanically as well as visually - in BR condition, in fact she wasn't even an A3 until 1947 (ex-Gresley A1), in 1954 when she was converted to LH Drive and got the famous 'banjo' dome. The double chimney dates from 1959.

This is a good reference:

http://blog.nrm.org.uk/many-guises-of-flying-scotsman/

• 2 weeks later...

Trouble is as an A1 (right boiler, single chimney, no smoke deflectors) and matching LNER green she would be more authentic but much less capable of pulling a heavily loaded train of the weight usually seen today on main line steam specials. Before this rebuild she was basically running as an A4 (like Mallard) but without the streamlining. More powerful and capable. But still painted LNER green to look like the Scotsman. This rebuild was initially supposed to take her back to towards A1/A3 standard (including a genuine A3 boiler from Salmon Trout) but seems to have ended up back as a late BR era A3.

Should have cast a new middle cylinder (or rather complete late style 3 part casting) for Green Arrow as she looks more authentic as a big green LNER loco than Scotsman does. I suspect Tornado was built for less money than this Scotsman rebuild. Having said that I am still pleased to see Scotsman back, but would be happier with her to stay in BR green to match her condition.

FWIW I agree that FS should be in BR Green for historical accuracy and aesthetics. Lovely engine but NOT a candidate for Apple Green.

I also agree with the reference to the V2 Green Arrow which SHOULD be in Apple Green - one of my favourite engines (even though I'm a Western fan)...in case anyone's interested, have a look at how she looks in the clip below. Also shows her starting a heavy train on a 1 in 49 gradient on the NYMR - go to about 2min in and turn up your sound to its loudest...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsO12UgA85M

Does anyone know of times /days it will run on the East Coast Mainline?

Doing London to Edinburgh on May 14-17th. Calling at Stevenage, St Neots, Grantham,York,Edinburgh. Leaving Kings Cross 09.30 - arriving Edinburgh 20.00. also doing the Waverley route & Fife Circular that weekend. If you can get the website to work, try www.steamdreams

Allan

Doing London to Edinburgh on May 14-17th. Calling at Stevenage, St Neots, Grantham,York,Edinburgh. Leaving Kings Cross 09.30 - arriving Edinburgh 20.00. also doing the Waverley route & Fife Circular that weekend. If you can get the website to work, try www.steamdreams

Allan

Good news - we'll be able to see (albeit very briefly) from upstairs from here at MJW Models HQ! Any ideas of when it might go through Newcastle + Morpeth?

thanks

Mike

• 2 months later...

Well it went past MJW Models about 20 mins ago. We were on the platform of the local station, as were probably over 100 people and our view was spoiled by a few ignorant and selfish people, which is a shame as we were stood on the platform for 1 1/2 hours as all we knew was it was going through Newcastle at 5PM and it only takes about 20-25 mins for a train leaving Newcastle to pass through here. As a bonus we did see the Flying Scotsman service going though southbound (as it only does now) at a speed which must have been around 100mph and the Flying Scotsman loco is looking very well indeed.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1