1/72 Matchbox DH98 Mosquito PRXVI, 618 Squadron, RAAF Narromine, Australia, early 1945

One of my friends has asked me to build a Mosquito for her ex-RAF Grandfather for his 90th birthday later this year. He was with 618 Squadron when it was in Australia working up to attack the Japanese Fleet and has recollections of the PR XVI photo-reconnaissance Mosquitos which operated with it. 618 was a sister squadron to the more famous 617 Squadron and like it, was armed with a Barnes Wallis weapon, in this case a spherical-cased smaller version of the bouncing bomb, codenamed "Highball". Originally formed to attack the Tirpitz, once that target was substantially put out of action the proposal was made to deploy the weapon against Japanese capital ships but VJ-day found the squadron still working-up in Australia and it was disbanded fairly shortly after the war's end. With the kind help of forum members Black Knight, RossM and FZ6, I have been able to pull together the parts to build one of these, and here begins the work in progress thread with a photograph of the component parts, principally from the old Matchbox Mosquito kit, which has the correct 2-stage Merlins:

20160124_231605_zps9tasnhwb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm getting out the pop corn!

First it's principally a Matchbox kit and that's what I grew up with spending my pocket money in the mid 70's

Second it's an Aussie version and that's always a treat when you live down under.

Good luck with the build....what a great tribute.

I really look forward to the progress :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

I started with the cockpit, with the very basic addition of an Airfix instrument panel, slightly modified, plus instrument Decals from a variety of sources to give an impression of the front end of the Mosquito's busy "office":

IMG_20160130_110621_zpsemfjldkp.jpg

PS, thanks Winenut, hope you enjoy, this one will take a while to come to fruition, I think!

Edited by Manipled Mutineer
  • Like 1

My next step was to try and add a little more detail, bearing in mind that the basic layout is a flat floor, two rather inaccurate seats, and a bomber yoke for the pilot!

IMG_20160130_152339_zpssbl3n55h.jpg

First I tried to add a little more detail to the front end with a bulkhead, kneeling mat and fire extinguisher, which latter also added a welcome hint of colour.

Then I put in some rear decking, radio boxes, etc, all highly simplified but I hoped suggestive of the real thing.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Martin!

After checking my sources I decided to add a bit more detail to the seats and other bits, including straps cut from tinfoil (don't ask me why I thought that was a good idea) as my "client" requested the cockpit without figures.

IMG_20160203_133657_zpsyiuicyyl.jpg

IMG_20160203_133350_zpsdxpngs4c.jpg

IMG_20160203_133323_zpss7wwpy5d.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I'm starting to put it all together now that I have got past the mating of the Matchbox nacelles and better-detailed Airfix undercarriage, which I really wasn't looking forward to, and decided on the handling of the camera ports (decal film or similar rather than trying to drill).

Thanks Martin and Tomoshenko, I do like the Matchbox kit but the Airfix parts certainly seem to me to be a notch ahead in terms of detail, so it seemed a shame not to use them (or indeed to take advantage of this long weekend.) Provided I can do it justice, I think it's going to be an attractive-looking aircraft when finished.

• 1 month later...

Finally some progress (& a question)

IMG_20160710_075734_zpsfnlckine.jpg

IMG_20160710_174049_zpswjfohuka.jpg

IMG_20160710_174251_zpsq4xvbz46.jpg

I've finally put on a second coat of paint, redone the props (thank heavens for a spare set), extracted, trimmed painted and affixed the vacform canopy and fettled the Airfix exhausts until they fitted.

I'm now thinking about decals and am hoping for some advice on sizing and placement of roundels, flashes, codes and serials. I've heard that the roundels and flash were standard RAF ones with the red painted out, but any further detail would be warmly appreciated.

• Like 1

One further question: any hints as to location of camera ports?

AFAIR there were two camera windows underneath, both in the forward half of the bomb bay. On the port side towards the rear of the front half, on the starboard side it was forward. O)ther cameras were in the glazed nose.

Wing roundels; measure the length of the wing from the root to the tip. 2/3rds of this from the wing root is where the centre of the roundel will be. Looks like roundels about 42 inch diameter used on the top of the wings

Well, in view of my imminent departure and return only the day before the 90th birthday of the gentleman in question, although it is by no means perfect I have decided to call it a day on this build, with sincere thanks to Black Knight, RossM and FZ6 for their generosity, and to all on this thread for your interest and encouragement.

Anthony

• Like 1