RCN Grey 501-109

Smudge

Hi Smudge.

Google seems to know more about this than I do, so I've asked John Snyder what colour it is. I found a photo of a tin complete with code which does match stuff I have got, but I want to confirm what should be inside before giving a bum steer.

I'll report back as soon as I clarify things.

Hi again.

The short answer is no, unfortunately.

The full answer is that back in the WEM days, they were asked by Resin Shipyard/Hawk Graphics to produce it. The market was felt to be too small to sell it, so it was offered that WEM would produce this unique colour providing the above stockist bought the entire batch. I've actually never spoken to the owner of the above business but will get in touch to see if they sold it all and whether they want any more of it.

We have everything we need to reproduce it - but given we've owned Colourcoats for 15 months now and it's only really just registered that we could make this, it would appear WEM were right in thinking they'd never sell a batch in a month of Sundays - unless a glut of Canadian subject kits come out and the British naval modellers get all pro-Canada!

Hopefully Resin Shipyard still has some though!

• Like 1

Hi,

Thank you for your replies. Shame you haven't any, but cheers for checking it out for me. I did come across The Resin Shipyard website, but to be honest I wasn't sure it is even still up and running as a going concern. I thought there might be an outside chance you may have some, and easier to deal with a Britmodeller here in the UK.

Anyhow, it won't hurt to drop them an email, you never know your luck.

I hope she wont mind me dragging her into this, but one of our resident Canadian experts (my words), Jessica did give me a heads up on using XF-12 with a touch of this and that. My own thoughts on this are that whenever I saw Canadian aircraft in this colour they always appeared to be a slightly blueish/greenish colour, hence mixing using Sky as suggested by andyf117. (duckegg blue/green?) Trick of the light I guess, but who knew it was grey! Oh well.

In the meanwhile, maybe enough Britmodeller's will join me and twist your arm enough to knock some up. You know you want to.

Cheers again, all the best.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Thinking slightly bigger picture, is there an appetite for more Canadian specific paints? There certainly seems to be a lack of model paints specifically matched to the Canadian standard.

Mark.

Yes, I would be interested. Although I am not too sure if there are that many uniquely Canadian colours.

I stand to be corrected.

I'm sure there would be scope for a few of the more popular schemes (Buffalo Airways green?)

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Jamie,

Just thinking about putting in an order for Telford collection, probably some Japanese colours. Couldn't help thinking about the old 501-109 thread. Sorry to drag it up again, but your probably my best hope. Any more thoughts on doing a few tins?

The old Canadian P2 Neptune is still under the workbench......

No pressure :)

Hi,

I keep meaning to do this. I can't promise it'll be ready for Telford as we've quite a large queue of current products to restock, but I am intending to do this. I've got to revise the production queue list in the morning so I'll add 501-109 when I do so :)

• Like 1

Hi Jamie,

That's great news. I will get in an order for some other colours over the next few days, and hopefully will stock up on a few tins of 501-109.

Thanks for sorting it out, look forward meeting you at you at Telford.

All the best.

• 2 years later...

There's some confusion possibly here caused by WEM. Their product code for 501-109 was M23, which by the time we acquired the brand was no longer produced as 501-109 but instead BS381C-697 Light Admiralty Grey.

Some online sources give equivalence of 501-109 as being FSx6480 which, whether by coincidence or not, is very similar in appearance to BS381C-697 Light Admiralty Grey!

We still make Light Admiralty Grey as NARN51 - so if you're happy it's close enough for government work then there is that option.

Hi Jamie.

Thanks for your patience with me on this one. 

Yes, I think that might be an option, it does look close, maybe even the same. It can be hard to tell just looking at patches. But definitely worth a try.

Thank you.