What's the best kit for an F86A Sabre (1/72)?

John R

Which kit did this come from? I picked it up from the junk pile at model club thinking it might come in useful as toy for the grandchildren but now it might be useful. The wing is almost identical to that of the Airfix F86D. If you can identify it what is wrong with it as an F86A?

P1040338_zpsh5rfv0te.jpg

That is a OOB Matchbox kit. What's wrong with it, well the wheels,gear are garbage, the canopy/windscreen is a caricature, no speedbrake wells, and the nose shape is a bit off.

Tony

Edited by Tony Edmundson

Which kit did this come from? I picked it up from the junk pile at model club thinking it might come in useful as toy for the grandchildren but now it might be useful. The wing is almost identical to that of the Airfix F86D. If you can identify it what is wrong with it as an F86A?

It looks rather like the Matchbox kit to me. If so, the sweepback on the wings is supposed to be noticeably out. I do have one unmade, somewhere, but I've not checked this. However, the magazine article that pointed it out recommended substituting an Airfix F-86D wing.

Edited by AWFK10

as for the HB kit, I'm thinking it might well become an A, plenty of meat in the rear fuselage to reshape it & narrow slatted wings which just need their tips pruning & a Pavla.Falcon canopy. Yes??? :unsure:

Steve.

The HobbyBoss Sabre kits suffer from a bloated belly similar to the F-86D. They should be flatter across the bottom of the wing/fuselage. Your call.

Tony

• Like 1

I was just about to edit my query about which kit it was as I had just been comparing it with Tony's model and came to the conclusion that it was the Matchbox kit.

After comparing it with what drawings I could find I had come to the same conclusion as Tony. I reckon that according to the drawings I have found maybe the chord is a bit short and the sweep angle marginally off but nothing to get to excited about as it could be the drawings.

I have never heard anything before about the inital windscreen being curved. I would never have noticed it in any of the pictures I have seen.

Thanks for all the help

John

Tony,

I am impressed! Nice job- if you hadn't mentioned it was the Matchbox kit, I would never have guessed! The speedbrake well transplant looks fantastic, like it was molded on the kit to begin with. Have you chosen a scheme, yet? Please post finished pics- I need to be inspired!

Wez,

I don't care who does a new-tool, state of the art narrow-chord, slatted wing Sabre, or whether it's an A/E/F, as long as it has positionable slats and speedbrakes- if we can get that much, I figure those of us who love Sabres can do whatever is needed to do the version of choice. Platz, Meng, Sword, or Special Hobby would all be good candidates, and with all the European nations that used it, Revell/Germany would be another possibility; probably too much to hope for a complete kit of the best Sabre of them all, IMHO, the Avon Sabre! See the link- Crikey- she's a beaut!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpB8kpxQnWM

OK, I'm feeling much better now!

Mike

As for drawings, Richard Ward did a set for the very first issue of AvNews, also included in the reprint of 1/1 for their 20th anniversary. However I'd advise to check the drawings for 6/3 or not. A publication you may find useful is the Warbird Tech on the Sabre, as I think it includes a fairly comprehensive listing of differences block by block.

Tony,

I am impressed! Nice job- if you hadn't mentioned it was the Matchbox kit, I would never have guessed! The speedbrake well transplant looks fantastic, like it was molded on the kit to begin with. Have you chosen a scheme, yet? Please post finished pics- I need to be inspired!

Mike, the top picture in post #2(1st page) is my Matchbox improvement.

Cheers,Tony

I don't care who does a new-tool, state of the art narrow-chord, slatted wing Sabre, or whether it's an A/E/F, as long as it has positionable slats and speedbrakes- if we can get that much, I figure those of us who love Sabres can do whatever is needed to do the version of choice. Platz, Meng, Sword, or Special Hobby would all be good candidates, and with all the European nations that used it, Revell/Germany would be another possibility; probably too much to hope for a complete kit of the best Sabre of them all, IMHO, the Avon Sabre! See the link- Crikey- she's a beaut!

My sentiments entirely, but there's another option not mentioned: Airfix!

The kit has the (6 x 3) wings on a separate sprue I'll leave the merits of the kit to others, but it would be entirely consistent with their current practices to re-issue the kit but with a new (wing) sprue having a slatted wing with separate slats.

There's also the possibility that some aftermarket firm (Attack Squadron comes to mind) to issue replacement, slatted wings for the conversion. This is helped by the wings being in four separate parts.

Revell/Germany? Perhaps, but surely in the versions used by the Luftwaffe: K with slatted wings, though not sure about the day fighters.

And my Cutting Edge slat conversion? No instructions whatever just a note to say that it is for the Fuijimi kit. I'll take a deep breath before trying to transplant it onto my Hasegawa D, rarely seen without the slats deployed.

Wez mentioned the old Modeldecal sheet so I thought I'd supply some pictures as applied to the Matchbox kit:

That is a lovely Sabre, nice one!

Denford,

I have the Cutting Edge F-86A conversion set, CEC72-014, which has a detailed 2-page set of diagrams and instructions for using the parts with any Fujimi F-86F-30 kit. It does describe where to cut the wings to install the slat bays and slats, which would be the same location if you were using the slat parts from a donor Academy/Hobbycraft kit. This set also has a new rear fuselage, V-shaped windscreen, gunport panels with the blast doors, as well as standard stabs with elevators. The set also includes a pitot to be installed in the nosecap, as according to the instructions, it was located there and moved to the wing beginning with the F-86A-6. I would be happy to scan the instructions and mail a copy to you; just send me a PM with your mailing address. Hope this helps..

Mike

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The first 13 or so "A" models had the curved windscreen as depicted on the matchbox model. One way (the way I chose), was to convert an "E" model, using a Clear Vax F-86A (Vee) canopy from a set made in Australia.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=219079

photo1-vi.jpg

The article explains how I made the decals for the 94th, the first unit to receive the "A" models.

Ed

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This might be of interest to anybody unhappy with the shape of the Matchbox F86A canopy.

Taking the canopy for the Matchbox F86A pictured in my earlier thread I decided, before removing it amd replacing it with the Heller version, to see if it could be modified so I took a sanding block and ground it to the 'correct' shape with a rounded front section. I managed to remove enough of the top without going through to the inside. I then polished it and achieved the following result. There appears to be a hairline crack, just visible in front of the seat. Whether this was pre-existing or caused by my ham fisted modification I do not know but it does appear that a lot can be done with the Matchbox canopy.

Matchbox%20model%20canopy_zpsa5w32v8z.jp

John

Edited by John R

interesting way of dealing with the fictional framing and Vee shape. There's still that ridiculous separate rear section and bogus area behind the seat to put up with though.

Let's see it after you have put on all the canopy framing, please.

Tony

• Like 1

It was not intended to be used as it would have to removed and cleaned up internally and I did not rate the chance of a successful removal very highly . I have a Heller canopy to modify as the 'real thing' and so I decided to see if it was possible to reshape a canopy.

Please can you clarify what you meant by "There's still that ridiculous separate rear section and bogus area behind the seat to put up with though." as I have not studied the internals of the Sabre cockpit.

There was also, earlier in this thread, a comment about using an F80 nosewheel. Was this instead of the Matchbox or Heller item as, again, I was unaware of any problem in this area.

Thank you for all your input - I'm sure that many others besides me are finding it of great interest.

Please can you clarify what you meant by "There's still that ridiculous separate rear section and bogus area behind the seat to put up with though." as I have not studied the internals of the Sabre cockpit.

There was also, earlier in this thread, a comment about using an F80 nosewheel. Was this instead of the Matchbox or Heller item

The fact that Matchbox molded part of the moveable sliding canopy as part of the fuselage, AND , that big box-like structure behind the seat is a work of someones's imagination.

I used a copy of a F-80 nose wheel as it looked similar(not exact) to the early type nosewheel found in some Korean-era Sabres. The Matchbox nose wheel is a poor rendition, the Heller wheel is much superior but didn't fit my build.

early wheel on McConnell's Sabre;

11151010_990352137676744_433184220900568

Cheers, Tony

I have that sheet Tony, its not the best :(

I wish someone would do a 1.72 clear resin early screen similar to the CE 1.48 one, I would buy a few for sure. Or someone do a new tool F-86A kit, Please :pray:

• Like 2

I have that sheet Tony, its not the best :(

I wish someone would do a 1.72 clear resin early screen similar to the CE 1.48 one, I would buy a few for sure. Or someone do a new tool F-86A kit, Please :pray:

Personally, I wouldn't care too much which of the major players gave us a new 1/72nd Sabre series but given the quality of their recent Fouga Magister and Mirage F.1 I could see Special Hobby coming up trumps with a series of Sabres moulded to that standard, I'm thinking F-86A, F-86E early/late (slat wing), F-86F... without getting too esoteric.

• Like 1