FAA hellcat....+a little friend

rob85

Hi all!

It could be said I have to many builds on, but dam it I want to build aircraft! Let's just hope I finish some.

I currently have the hurricane GB to start and finish, the p47 GB to finish, the made in Britain GB to polish off really and possibly extend, and the corsair GB coming up soon

Amongst all that I feel there is a bit of yanks with roundels theme on the go, so to continue that and as voted for at the end of my spitfire trio I will be building the Eduard hellcat.

The kit is this

24524414620_97b108684e_b.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

I was looking st the weekend edition due to cost, but managed to bag this one for £7 to my door... to much to miss really

The kit its self is beautiful and one of the best kits I have seen in the box! It's also my first try at etch so should be a giggle for you all.

I will be using the below transfer sheet

24452418089_50d90d5d33_b.jpgTech32015c by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And will be using the lower scheme. It's actually almost a shame to not be using the one of the many transfer options that come with the kit but never mind....I will just have to buy more kits 😊

So I will be looking into the details of colours etc for these AC's in FAA service, mainly so I get internals like the CP wheel well etc the correct colour, for now and then plan to start work on this next week.

Any info you have is always appreciated!

Oh and just another big thank you to the kind chap that sent the transfer sheet, Mr P, I hope the lady and baby are well and cheers again

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 10

Good man Rob, very interested to see this being built.

I've three Eduard kits int he stash. They look so perfect I'm

afraid to build them in case a make a balls of them, :shutup:

Sean

• Like 1

Good choice Rob look forward to progress,I have an Eduard 109 completed and loved the build just bought my second Eduard kit today the Bell

Airacobra and looks a beauty in the box.

• Like 1

I know what you mean sean, I almost don't want to disturb the plastic for its beautiful spruce..... but I must.... and I may balls it up as well so watch away but maybe learnt from my mistakes!

Steve their kits always looks so good, but I must say this is the first I have had in the flesh and they are very exciting to look at, I just hope I can do it justice

Rob

• Like 3

I'm so glad you started this thread Rob, been waiting in anticipation. I know what it's like having too many builds on the go (pretty fun actually!). This one can just meander as you're not on a deadline.

I've got two FAA double boxings of this kit, but haven't built one yet. You're right, it looks perfect on the sprues.

• Like 1

Cheers cookie! I am really looking forward to starting this kit and taking my time to get it right....which is hopefully what will happen. I am looking at investing in some good paints for it as well.... Let's see what the bank says though!

Darby, they are both nice schemes, any FAA scheme is I would say! But number two will be my choice as it's something I have never modelled before and looks rather cool.

Welcome along giemme, I am sure your advice on the detailed bits and etch will be invaluable.... I mean you are OK at the details sometimes

Rob

• Like 3

.... I mean you are OK at the details sometimes

:D :D You nasty boy :D :D Scheme #2 seems great to me too, BTW. I'll better get also some :beer: to go along with my :popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

I keep hearing about these Eduard ProfilePACKs so I'm looking forward to this one Rob :):popcorn:

How about some shots of the stuff in the box?

For the PE I'd recommend investing in some Gator's Grip thin from Paul. Trying to use CA on small bits is really bad for your nerves as it wants to stick to your fingers more than the plastic (ask me how I know) and gives you less than 10 seconds for positioning. With the thin blend you can blob some on the plastic with a small brush, place the part (using the brush for tiny bits), use capillary action for larger parts and then dip the brush in water to clean up. If you can stretch to it get some of the standard stuff as well - both can be cleaned up with water on a brush, dry clear and, when cured, they grip like, er, a 'gator?

• Like 3

Don't drink too much giemme, I don't want you getting unruly!

Ced as it's you I will open this

24721376062_2b2ea83ca3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Yes that's right still sealed in its bag.... untouched

24721371772_6f0ac2bc88_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Nice detailed instructions

24471623199_319ac0a1b3_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Transfer sheet I will not be using, my only critique is that the feel a little think.

24212326963_aed8a88da4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24839211475_c2ac1698f0_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Etch and mask

Then spruce with detail close ups

24839181165_fc179b48a8_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24721330712_c2f907e341_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24839195285_78f08d2cbc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24721347702_e4ee75be20_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24211024494_d78a16945f_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24543706620_135a885ab6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24543721390_cc0b1a9410_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24839221805_df0548d9c4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24211044854_21ca6c11dc_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

24745781091_8e58e28784_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

....very crisp

Very good advice on the gator grip ced.

Rob

• Like 7

I know what you mean sean, I almost don't want to disturb the plastic for its beautiful spruce..... but I must.... and I may balls it up as well so watch away but maybe learnt from my mistakes!

Steve their kits always looks so good, but I must say this is the first I have had in the flesh and they are very exciting to look at, I just hope I can do it justice

Rob

I'd have to agree with you there Rob, I got the Avia kit, opened the box and thought to myself,

"I'll not make it nicer than how it looks in the box", :shrug: and that was just the weekend edition!

I've got the Mig 15 and the La-5 as well, and they're just as nice looking......in the box. :D

Sean

• Like 2

Good choice Rob look forward to progress,I have an Eduard 109 completed and loved the build just bought my second Eduard kit today the Bell

Airacobra and looks a beauty in the box.

I got the Eduard 1/48 airacobra dual kit and they are superb builds - the only thing to watch out for is the cockpit door fit if you want them closed, but judicious filing and sanding rectifies that

Les

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the delay all! I bit off more than could chew in Feb, now I have chewed it all up I can crack on with this.... and crack on I have!

First off what's a m reg ford fiestas radio/tape deck doing in my set of PE (nuber 16 for none fiestas drivers)

26642170896_ad17442980_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Anyway let's have a look at what I have been up to

26395389110_3f08b2aed5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

It's small and to be honest I was worried, so first off I dry fitted everything I could first ☺

26062965154_fb9dedc0fb_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

And yes I was tempted to just paint the lovely details and forget the etch

26603112301_9c4db48022_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

26390652950_80f9c35175_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

As you would expect the fit is absolutely spot on, however Eduard can't choose who buys their kits and can't give you skill.

26663811525_80afc52b06_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Which will be evident throughout this build ☺

26395382610_aac1d6542e_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

One last one of the dry fit.

26570580822_71d373ac5b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

So off with the detail using a blade and sanding, I followed this with my first ever use of etch

26390641980_9d45575e38_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Then on to the painting of the bits...

26637197316_ac7565f642_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

These have been brushed with tamiya Japanese OD, followed by a dry brushing of hu58 and finished off with a dry brushing of a Lightened Japanese OD. My aim was to give a weathered and distressed look and I am happy with the result.

So after that dried I started with super glue and etch on the control panel. I ended up with the below

26603113261_e188c98398_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Now.... confession time.... I really tried with adding the little leavers and things but I lost most of them! They were so small! How do you do it? Anyone who manages it must be super human, Bill, giemme, Mr heath I am looking at you!

Most of the very tiny bits got stuck to my fingers or got lost, more practice needed I feel. Any how I added all I could and came out with the below

26603128331_53f481d358_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

26064622863_03b2ac7885_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Little bit of dry brushing and chipping

26642127746_8994c1a075_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

26062887524_d78a044788_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

26642119916_3f93f3524b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

26575550202_26d832a0a4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Then the I merely painted the the rest of the internals and it just slotted together

26064541273_331f7d3ea4_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Rear window added

26603063951_19385b42e6_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

However the other side did not go so well!

26668656495_65a944d92b_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

So this is where she sits now, buttoned up and wings dry fitted

26617493031_097d751db5_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Hang on who is this little chap!

I managed to aquire a buffalo, it's the old airfix one. I have always loved the look if this stubby little bugger, something almost comic about it. But it is oh so cute! But so bloody small! You would think the hellcat was 1/48 not 1/72. Any how she will be tagging along as a little (literally) side line OBB build...... I imagine it will be riveting

26590674052_d8482ad5b1_k.jpgUntitled by robert mulvey, on Flickr

Cheers all, comments welcome

Rob

• Like 8

Great job with those PE, Rob! :clap: :clap: I love the worn look you gave to the cockpit! :thumbsup:

Small PEs: I use a toothpick with a blob of blue tack on one end, and often help setting the part in place using another bare toothpick. CA gel type of glue also helps, it gives me the ability of dosing very tiny drops and also allows a few more seconds of playing around before settling completely. HTH

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Simon, I have been looking forward to this kit/ dreading it. But I can safely say, once my eye corrected themselves, it's been great and I would like to use more PE in the future!

Giemme, as ever master of modelling your input is incredibly helpful and surprisingly cost effective by the sounds of it... Off to the food hall for tooth pics and the admin office for blu tak!

Cheers all

• Like 4

Rob, try Pound land or the like, probably get it cheaper there.

Simon.

Simon! I won't be paying for the blue tak! I need it for work of course.... Some might be taken home for when I work from home 😃

Rob

• Like 1