Duxford May 2016 Prices

Jonny

I had an email from IWM today.

Duxford's May airshow will be advance ticket only, They will chatge for parking a car.

I'm not too happy about that - in the past for a 2-day event I've waited to see what the weather's like before setting off. Advance tickets stop that happening. There's also a risk that come the day one cannot go - I don't recall any mention of refunds.

This is the first time that I can recall that they've introduced a carpark charge. Given the number of cars around the place they'll make a mint - unless everyone votes with their feet and doesn't book! I know - UNLIKELY!

This year's theme is 'American'.

I thought I might be the first to highlight this ... I wonder if the carparking charge is because of the increased CAA charges?

Im done with Duxford. No disrespect meant to photographers , and i Can see its your hobby , but last year some bloke moaned because i said "excuse me please" and walked past him , in a very crowded position. "What is this , we pay to come here and take photographs!" he said. I just ignored him. The airshow has not even started. That will be my last airshow at Duxford , the stress is not worth it. Booking in advance in the UK is a bad idea due to the weather. Charge for parking? Nope thats it.

• Like 1

It's worse than just the May show.

I've just had a look at the IWM site and unless my eyes are deceiving me then all three air shows this year are advanced ticket only.

I agree with Britman that the price compared with a concert or a sports event is good value. The difference is - and I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong - the IWM is funded by the MoD and therefore taxypayers' money and so we are already paying for the museum(s).

However, if we take into account the UK's weather, post-Shoreham restrictions imposed by the CAA and the reality that many of the aircraft on display will be the same as last year and the year before then my twice and sometimes thrice yearly visits to Duxford will likely become a thing of the past.

As for the parking charge, that feels to me like talking the mickey in the way that theatres, concerts etc charge a booking fee. Either absorb it in the cost of the service or the provider should accept it as a cost of doing business. Why charge the punter when they effectively have no choice? Ah, because they can and people grumble but accept it.

Those who walk, cycle or take the bus to the show will have a different view of course and I happily accept that.

I suspect that the "naughty field" (which I have never visited) and Duxford School will become more popular than ever.

• Like 2

Let's get the debate going.

As an example tickets to RIAT on the Saturday and Sunday are £44 each plus the irritating £2 booking fee for an eight hour flying display with a large (by the standards of today's shows, not the glory days of the 1980s) static line-up as well as various ground displays. The aircraft offered are varied. They may be F16s but they are different F16s.

Duxford offers a 2 1/2 air show which offers many of the same aircraft at each show. Add in £5 parking at you're at £34.50. A flight line walk is another £5 to £39.50. The variety of ground displays/static for each show are limited.

It is probably pretty unfair to compare the two but £46.50 versus, say, £34.50. Either RIAT is way under-priced or Duxford is way too expensive.

Other than the two above and Shuttleworth last year I didn't go to many shows and I suspect that Duxford's pricing is probably in line with most. It will be interesting to see what happens to show prices this year with the new CAA charges.

Anyway, now I've lit the blue touch paper I am retiring to a safe distance to watch the fireworks.

But how long does the football match or concert last?

Isn't it down to enjoyment? A rather more subjective measurement than linear time, I would say.

Some football matches can be superb to watch, while others make you want to cut your throat open out of sheer boredom. Some airshows can have excellent line ups with wall to wall sunshine, while others take place in thick fog with no flying or weather that keeps you sitting in your car all day.

It's not so clear, and if you are an avid football fan with no interest in aviation then I know what you'd spend your money on.

• Like 1

How much does one spend in a restaurant for you and another? Forty pounds for a pleasant sit down and a couple of hours chat. I still think the airshows are very good value and don't shout too loudly,but as we my wife and I left Duxford last year we thought the price quite honestly excellent value.

• Like 1

I'd still rather pay for an airshow than not see those wonderful aircraft in the air each year. Costs go up, inflation, flying fees, CAA fees, and in the end the IWM have to cover their costs and put some money into the coffers to help pay for the rest of the year. Upping the prices is going to do that, and I can understand pre-booking, as it will stop the crush of a big day from happening, and also give them an idea of how many people to expect and react accordingly. From our point of view it's a bit of a bind, but not the end of the world.

For a whole day's entertainment (plus the cost of some sandwiches or a burger), it's still pretty good VFM IMHO :)

• Like 3

They lost my business after having to queue for hours to get in and then finally giving up and going home. I can see how advance tickets would limit this, but are they limiting numbers? or just selling as many tickets as they can?

The whole management of Duxford seems to be taking a backward step at the moment. As Dave said they way they treated MAFA has left a bad taste with a lot of people. Of course costs go up and looking at the proposal from the CAA (Campaign against airshows) costs are going up again.

Would you want to pay £40 up front and then be rained off? will they refund for this? I bet not.

All in all I think airshows in the UK are going to became a thing of the past.

• Like 1

As I understand it, at least part of the pressure for advance tickets is coming from the local police because traffic control has been an increasing problem. Living in the NW, in previous visits I've booked a local hotel room for the night before then travelled in early, and traffic has not been a problem. An extra few pounds on an entry ticket isn't going to significantly increase overall costs: I could probably save as much by restricting my speed to 50mph on the way down.

Looking at the various threads here and on Flypast has given me much more sympathy with the term "whinging Poms".

• Like 1

I was impressed by the approach in Payerne - parking was free if you had three or more persons in your car.

If you wanted to pay extra to park close to the entrance gates it cost you more money.

Most people used the free car parks which meant a fair trek as they were the furthest away, but it didn't seem to bother anyone, and everyone cracked along at a good old pace - most of the blokes headed straight for the beer tents upon arrival!

I would assume the team at Duxford have a good idea of the ripples that would emanate from the new process/charges, and consider it worth doing. I for one am grateful that I have the option of going, though I didn't attend anything there last year.

Horses for courses, as they say.

It will be interesting to see what happens to attendance levels.

I'm thinking less of enthusiasts and more of the families who see it as nice day out (which it is) and if the sun is shining decide to go.

Having to decide in advance whether to buy a family ticket is a different matter.

As I understand it, at least part of the pressure for advance tickets is coming from the local police because traffic control has been an increasing problem.

Travelling from the East, we get blocked by Plod, who prefer to keep the M11 flowing. Making people sit stationary for 3 hours whilst the Southerners get priority, then to be shunted into a field because the car parks are full tries one's patience. To miss some of the show, and be charged a parking fee on top is extracting the urine.

My first thought on reading this was that Duxford were working hard to lose my custom, but having seen the press release on UKAR it seems they are justifying it as a way to improve traffic flow and the visitor experience. There will be a limit on the number of parking passes sold and the airfield will stay open longer after the show to break up the rush.

The former is the route RIAT took when they went all ticket and I think they've held up their end. Departing after the show has been much smoother for me in recent years (can't comment on arriving as I'm usually there just after 6). It'll be interesting to see if Duxford can show a tangible improvement too.

The latter is something I've been thinking about for years and seemed like a no-brainer to me. In the past I've experienced the message of "stay and make an evening of it" from the PA announcer coupled with "sod off we're closing" from the staff in the American museum. It seems the message may have permeated through at last.

The most annoying thing is the requirement to pause the show every time the M11 slows down or stops. I completely understand why and without it there'd probably be no more Duxford,, but it p's me off no end. I'm planning a recce at the May show, and will base future attendance on first hand observation of the new measures.

Steve.

PS the release also mention that for Legends (not run by IWM) the car park charge will be built into the admission price.

Numbers will be limited to ensure all that have a ticket will get in, it's not selling as many as they can do. A reaction to the 2 x lanc show which caused all sorts of issues due to too many people visiting sometimes Duxford just can't do anything right in some peoples eyes.

The car parking and associated management of, is what has triggered the car park fee, a combination of local police traffic management requirements and Shoreham fall-out.

To me you still can't beat a good Duxford airshow and I make sacrifices on expenditure through the year to be able to attend these.

If the DoT/Highways Agency/Whatever had listened to the locals at 'consultation' time, the M11 would have taken a slightly different route equidistant between the three villages. DX would not have had a lump taken off the runway, and there would be less queuing on the M11, as the A505 would have absorbed more traffic. Now, 35 years on, it presents a 'traffic/congestion problem' so we have to pay for parking. I don't suppose they want to sell the 'overflow' field off for housing by any chance? IWM stands for I Want More!

• Like 1

When ever we have gone to the Duxford airshows, we park at the Trumpington Park and ride (costs £1) and get a free shuttle bus which drops you off at the main doors to the museum. At the end of the show, straight onto a bus (maybe with a short wait) and back to our car within 10-15 mins. If more people did this, it would make it easier to get to the site on the day

• Like 1