The end in sight - Tucano

Muzz

• 3 weeks later...

Living just up the road from RAF Linton on Ouse where most (if not all) of the Tucanos are based, I'd say there was at least 20 based there.

10 T-6's would half the strength based there but then is there a requirement to have a large training fleet these days?

As for the new Grob turboprops, I guess they're to replace the standard Grobs they use now with the ab initio training and university air squadrons. (Of which one squadron is also based at Linton).

The Phenom jets I guess will replace the HS125's.

Times are changing but at least the RAF is keeping up to date - mostly!

• Like 1

Once upon a time in, in a world far, far away there was a company called De Haviland, and its little brother British Aerospace. I wonder what happened to them? All we have now are Colonial imports!!

I'm not quite understanding how this will work, or save money - there appear to be an inordinate number of companies getting a piece of the action - KBR, Elbit, Ascent, Lockheed Martin, Babcock, Affinity Flying Training Services, Embraer, all mentioned in one paragraph! Oh, for those simpler days!

Article in the latest AFM states the T-6 Texans are to be based at Valley, Linton on Ouse's future appear's to be in doubt.

If the the number of Tucanos is around the 20 mark then that sort of reduction is probably due to the increase in the use of flight simulators in the training program.

I suppose we could look on the bright side. We might get a mainstream injection molded kit of the T-6 out of Airfix, assuming things go well for Hornby Group and they don't go belly up.

Mike.