A Tunnan, a Dodge and a pair of Ray-Bans...

I've started a new build with something that has always interested me. I'm a bit stunned that there is now not only modelkits of these objects but they are also very, very good!

I might warn you that this build might sound like a commercial for the company Pilot Replicas but I don't work for them, unfortunatly... :weep:

These are the kits I'm going to try and do something nice with:

DSC_1178_zpsxuvqqnlh.jpg

DSC_1180_zpsfov0njon.jpg

DSC_1181_zps4sam054u.jpg

I was going to start this topic a few weeks ago but I couldn't resist building instead.

I've started the J 29 Tunnan and I'm loving it. I have been building models for the last 30 years but I have never seen this quality in a "mainstream kit"!

The parts fit together like a dream and the sharpness of the detail is great. The whole package just screams quality!

As I said... I'm sorry but it's a great kit and I'm very happy.

The J 29 is my absolute favourite aircraft of all time. As some of you might already know I have a full scale one to play with!

062.jpg

Stay tuned!

I will post more pictures of the build as soon as can upload them to Photobucket.

Andreas / Rudolf_Filip

Edited by Rudolf_Filip
  • Like 7

OK, here we go!

Here is how my Tunnan will look like when finished. Hopefully...

DSC_1016_zpslymiljfu.jpg

I wanted to build a machine belonging to F 10 Wing at Ängelholm. I found this picture which suited me fine since most of the markings can be put together with the supplied decals from the box.

The only markings missing are the griffons of Skåne on the forward fuselage. Fortunatly I have some in the right size from a Hasegawa Draken.

As usual I didn't follow the instructions and started the build with the rear fuselage. The part fits together perfect and no need for filler anywhere.

DSC_0855_zpsydh50ukx.jpg

Pilot Replicas missed the shape over the exhaust a little. A very small piece of plastic card solved that minor issue simple. If you're wondering why there is a crack or a small gap below the tail section it's supposed to be there. I've tried to repicate the shape but it looks a little messy right now. It will be fixed later. Take a look at the next picture to see how it's supposed to look.

DSC_0995_zps74qjtgpz.jpg

The afterburner in the kit is extremely basic and doesn't quite live up to the quality of the rest of the kit.

I thought about building my own but I decided that life is too short and stole the one in my Hobby Boss Tunnan instead...

It's a bit small since the HB kit is... well... too small...

I think it looks ok. It will do on this one but on my next J 29 hopefully there will be some resin out.

DSC_0853_zpsvxr8azil.jpg

I wanted the rudders to be lowered so I carefully removed the rudder from the horisontal tail with a saw. I'm not so happy with the result but hopefully it won't look too awful on the finished model.

DSC_0859_zps0ctvsb7n.jpg

Time for a break and a beer! I decided to test the larger parts to see how they fit. Perfect!

Note the AZ monster in the background... :zombie:

DSC_0898_zpsdiuwsqpo.jpg

Also notice the tube in front of the PR kit. I have a cunning plan to replace the intake channel with this since the one in the kit is "simplified" because of the lack of space under the cockpit.

We'll see how that goes. I'm also going to use the engine fan front from the AZ kit. Nobody will ever notice when finished but I will know...

Andreas / Rudolf_Filip

• Like 3

The seat in the kit is decent and looks the part when installed. It wont take long until Pilot Replicas will release a more detailed seat in resin but for now this will do.

The doesn't have much of detail in real life either. Here is a picture of one of our seats.

IMG_2465_zpsdcrhofxr.jpg

Here is my seat in 1:48 under construction.

DSC_0862_zpssu6e8pdc.jpg

I've added a few pieces of plastic card and wires.

I used the belts from the Maestro models etch for the AZ Tunnan. I also made the life raft that the pilot sits on. Now it looks like this after some paint. I still have a few details to add on the back of the headrest.

DSC_1046_zpsgisvu55i.jpg

As you can see I couldn't resist panting the instrument panel. I wanted to see how the decals worked. I'm happy with the result. What do you think? Will it work in a cramped dark cockpit?

Now on to the intake and the prevoiusly mentioned tube, I didn't like the one in the kit so I decided to try and fit a piece of tube from Evergreen plastic.

DSC_0895_zpsotn1r71t.jpg

DSC_0897_zpswl2a91p1.jpg

It might work...

IMG_2436_zpsbmlnziaw.jpg

I've actually crawled all the way in to measure it properly.

By the way. Here is decent picture how the exhaust should look like.

039.jpg

Oh and if anoyone is interested here is me with a friend of mine! :winkgrin:

FB_IMG_1446404502360_zpsmc8e6dy6.jpg

I'm the guy to the right...

Andreas / Rudolf_FIlip

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...

It has been a while since I last worked on this kit. 

Tomorrow we are going to celebrate the 70th anniversery of the first flight of the SAAB J 29 Tunnan. We are having an event at the museum and I thought that it would be fitting if I have this model on display... 

So tonight I'm going to be rather busy finishing this old project. 🙂 

Fw6a4zf.jpg

VJdGM3H.jpgaqbmBUb.jpgC8FOWXW.jpg

To be continued... 

• Like 7

Well, why not? 😀 

Here we go... 

Some extra fuel is always nice to have! 

SxZ9T6z.jpg

Front fuselage joined with the rear. 

Almost perfect fit! 

wVFRzxM.jpg

The thing I worry the most about is not the kit... 

I've already had a few beers and I might not be sober enough to finish this "barrel" before I'm to tired... 😀 

• Like 3

Looks like you're having a 'barrel' of fun there!

An interesting subject, never seen a kit of one of these before. I think a collection of Swedish jets could be a good project one day! Tunnan, Lansen, Draken and Viggen. 

• Like 1