TRUMPETER 1/12TH FORD GT40

D1fuN0

Helooooooooooo chaps :bye:

And our second entry from the shelf of unfinished models...

Now, seems with a lot of people, the mere mention of the Trumpeter name launches arguments of accuracy, box art etc...

But honestly, I couldn't give a damn. Yes there are probably a few things that aren't quite right, but the overall look of the model is good in my opinion.

I've decided to build this OOB, using whats in the box, with basically the only addition some blue painters tape.

So, starting with the engine...

Its pretty basic, even for this scale.

IMG-20150614-WA0009.jpg

All of the woven hose is include in the kit, and is a bit of a pain to work with, but you get the hang of it. As there was no distributor included I added one and wired up the plugs.

Heat staining on the exhausts has been added now.

Moving swiftly along...

Here we are with the front and rear suspension added, and the engine seated.

IMG-20150726-WA0014.jpg

The suspension is extremely fragile and needs a good dollop of superglue in strategic places to keep it all straight and level.

Next up we have the cockpit interior installed.

Everything in the photo is included in the kits, except the blue tape for the seat belts, the material Trumpeter supplied isn't very good

20151031_090216.jpg

The seats are not the best representation of the real thing... I drilled out the centers of all those holes and then found the best way to finish them was to dry brush them and touch up any overspills

Seat belts were made using the supplied templates

IMG-20150803-WA0001.jpg

Front end starting to take shape

20151031_191509.jpg

Good place to mention here about tolerances. in a word - tight.

You will need to sand down the top edges of the doors just a smidge, because after the paint was applied, they didn't sit in the roof properly. its not a huge amount. I was using rattlecans though, might not be such a big issue if you are using a paint squirter.

And where i am now...

Wanted to see how it all fits together, and the fit is quite good and its all held together with screws.

IMG-20151031-WA0005.jpg

I stuck the wheels on to see how it sat on rubber, and not too bad, but promptly pulled of half of the front left suspension.

so... repairs and more to follow

Thanks

Steve

• Like 2

This kit does get more than its fair share of knocks.

I've built it too, and it's a really good kit in terms of fit and buildability.

Easily on a par with Tamiya.

OK, a few inaccuracies but I made it even worse by painting it and decalling it in the Gulf colour scheme.

This car never ran in Gulf colours.

I also built mine only using the kit bits - no aftermarket stuff - but I did go potty and added tons of wiring, plumbing and all the brake pipes!

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. It's looking really great so far.

Nice idea re: the seat belts.

Got to LOVE the GT40.

If there was EVER a candidate for a 1/8 car, it just has to be this.

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

:bye:

Roy, I am surprised, given the legend that the car is, that it hasn't been issued in the Gentleman's scale :coolio:

It would have been a fantastic subject for Pocher, or even one of the Part Work company's, and its not that big for the scale.

Von Trips - that's a tip I picked up from an american site a few years ago. why pay for seat belt material when you have some on your desk already. Tamiya masking tape works even better.

The new Tamiya bendy tape is also excellent for fan belts.

:ninja: Mad Steve :ninja:

• Like 1

Steve, while apart, lower the front arms by 2mm with shim. Looks like carousel horse if you don't. Nice dist and hoses. When you do the fuel hoses, easier if after cut to length, a tiny drop of thin CA on the ends will hold tubular shape. Then CA to their locations. Pay special attention to the rear clip at the roof and the sides where it meets the fuel tank area. You will get a gap there unless you reshape the top (at the window area) a bit. If not doable, add shim to the edges.

EDIT:

That problem happens when the inner clamshell is glued to the outer; they're two different curves. So temp glue together THEN do fitting, bending or sanding. Mostly at the roof section; it's fairly easy to bend and change the curve with warm water:

[/url]">http://s679.photobucket.com/user/Aframe/media/Album%201/P8140012r_zpsgsqzzuki.jpg.html'>P8140012r_zpsgsqzzuki.jpg

Edited by Codger

Hey Codger :bye:

Long time no speak

Thanks for those tips, much appreciated :thumbsup:

I do exactly that with the hose. It took a while, and plenty of pulling hoses off fingers, but i eventually nailed it :analintruder:

Thanks again

• Like 1

Oh no a GT40, just when I make up my mind to get back to building cars & start my Fiat 806 next I look at Roy's E-Type & think hmm, maybe I will build the big Jag, then this comes along & its screaming pick me from the stash, pick me......my heads gone!

Smashing work indeed & another great car thread to follow (we are growing on here) :evil_laugh:

Mac

:bye:

Oh but Mac.... we have ALWAYS been here...

Waiting in the shadows.... observing.... just waiting for the right time.

Gotta be careful around these airyplane lot, emotional and delicate liitle flowers they are...

Every so often we pop up and scream; Spitfires are crap!, from the deepest shadows and then sit back and watch the hilarity :bleh:

But If i was you.... Id build your Fiat 806 first, it really is magnificent.