1/72 Airfix Vulcan - FINISHED

I've just given the engine exhausts a coat of paint. Until now I've always used Humbrol enamels. However I've recently bought a few AK True Metal tubes and so thought I'd give them a go here. I've given them one coat, straight from the tube with a brush, and I'm really impressed. You can polish the surface, but I'm leaving this as it is. Coverage was really good, and a little goes a long way. A couple of coats should do it. 

IMG_0094

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 5

The true metal stuff has good results.  Looks much better when polished but I can understand why you are not. I struggled to avoid brush strokes when I hand painted it and had better results using the airbrush. The worst part is it keeps giving so avoid handling it near the exhausts otherwise you will get metallic fingerprints all over the place. It took about 6 coats of aqua gloss to finally seal it but loosing the metallic look by then. It resembled more of a RAF high speed silver. Lastly I have had a couple of tubes swell while in storage like they are going to burst from the bottom. Taking the cap off to release the pressure just sent metallic paint everywhere. These have their place but they are no replacement for traditional metallics. 

• Like 1

Spent a couple of hours tonight making aerials and painting all the odds and ends. I'm particularly pleased with the civic radio aerial under the bomb aimers blister. 

All thats left to do now is another coat of gloss varnish and that's about it. Hopefully the next update will be news of the completion. :yahoo:

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 7

FINISHED :yahoo:

As you can see this thread started at the beginning of Feb, so this build has been a big part of my year. I know I haven't spent every spare minute on it, but I've racked the hours up. 

The Vulcan is my all time favourite aircraft. In the early 70's we moved to Pontefract, Yorkshire and I remember the daily flights of Finningley's Vulcans over the town. Then there was the Vulcan scramble I witnessed at the 1977 Finningley air display to mark the queens Silver Jubilee. Anyone who has seen a Vulcan scramble will remember the sound waves travelling through your body and the ground shaking beneath your feet. The Vulcan was and still is, awesome in the truest meaning. 

I last saw XH558 flying at the Yorkshire air show at Churchfenton last year. I admit now that I had a tear in my eye as I watched it fly away for the last time until it was out of sight. So as you can appreciate I really wanted to do this kit justice, abs make it as accurate as I could as my own personal tribute. Hopefully I've achieved that. 

I will I'll take some proper pictures later for the RFI section, but for now here's a few to be going on with. 

DSCN1096DSCN1098DSCN1099

DSCN1100

Thanks again to to everyone who has followed and commented on this build thread. Your help and assistance is hugely appreciated. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 11

4 hours ago, Mechanised Dwarf said:

Absolutely stunning!  Very well done. This build has been bookmarked for when (if?) I every get to build this beauty so thank you for such a well written WIP 

MD

Thanks for your comments. I recommend getting on with it. I have learned such a lot during the build, it has really pushed me, and the sense of achievement when you've finished is immense. :)

36 minutes ago, philp said:

Great looking build.

Hope mine turns out near as well when I finally get to it.

I'm sure it will Philip. Research is the name of the game, and taking your time, and patience, yes patience you will require lots of that, and filler, lots of and sandpaper/files, again lots of. If you have all that you will succeed. :yahoo:

• Like 1

I have had to edit every post in this thread that included a picture due to issues with photobucket. This resulted in me having to move all the photographs over to flickr loosing several of them in the process. I've rebuilt the thread as best I can and that it assists those of you looking for help in recreating XH558 in her final year of flight.

I really appreciate you taking the time to update your photos as I hope to use your experience when I get to my build.

This Photobucket thing is becoming more annoying when I try to review old builds as so many pictures have been lost.

• Like 1