1/72 Airfix Vulcan - FINISHED

Work goes on. I'm not sure what these are called, or exactly what they do, but I noticed that the ones in the kit are too flat, just like semi circle in profile.

I photographed the ones on XH558 during a visit this year. I'm on about the two pipes that run between both pars of engines.

DSCN0884

To temedy this i stuck them to piece of plasticard to the appropriate thickness.

IMG_0083

Then an trimmed off the excess and sanded. This looks much more like the real thing. 

IMG_0084

I've also drilled out the ends of the pipes. I'll post another picture when they're fitted. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 4

Update. I've given it a couple of coats of medium sea grey, which was an epic job. Now in the middle of masking before spraying the green.

Nothing in this build is small or quick.

You are looking at about 3 hours work. And that's just the top side. :wall:

IMG_0086

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

The green has been sprayed and the masking removed, which was a particularly nerve wracking event. 

I'm very pleased and not to mention relieved with the result. I've tried my best to make the pattern as close to XH558 as I could from studying photographs. The pattern on the instructions are close, but wrong for this aircraft, you really do have to copy of photographs rather than rely on them. 

Anyhow, here are the results...

IMG_0087

IMG_0088

At last there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Next up a couple of coats of clear. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 9

That does look nice! I keep wondering whether I should buy this old kit or wait for the inevitable Airfix re-mould. Since I haven't bought the Valiant yet, and the Victor is just now coming out, I suppose I can wait and do these kits first. By the time I would finish these, Airfix will have done a re-mould of the re-mould.

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor correction.
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Learstang said:

That does look nice! I keep wondering whether I should buy this old kit or wait for inevitable Airfix re-mould. Since I haven't bought the Valiant yet, and the Victor is just now coming out, I suppose I can wait and do these kits first. By the time I would finish these, Airfix will have done a re-mould of the re-mould.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason. Just go for it with the Vulcan. I think it's almost become a right of passage for Vulcan fans to drag the old moulding kicking and screaming to completion.

48 minutes ago, CedB said:

Very nice Mark, that looks really neat. 

Thanks Ced. Plan to push on and finish it the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

Really nice. Looks like all the effort you put in has paid off. I hope that Airfix does indeed produce a new tool, but mostly so I don't have to put in the work I see here. Now that I know what is possible I would be obligated to follow suit! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, modelglue said:

Really nice. Looks like all the effort you put in has paid off. I hope that Airfix does indeed produce a new tool, but mostly so I don't have to put in the work I see here. Now that I know what is possible I would be obligated to follow suit! 

Thanks for your comment.

I agree, I'd love to see a new tool Vulcan. I would like to build more in different schemes, but am reluctant to go through this again. It has been a massive learning experience and I feel I'm coming out of the build a better modeller. I could build another one quicker, but the work required to bring this old kit up to standard should not be underestimated. 

• Like 1

A couple of coats of clear done, windows unmasked and this afternoon I've completed the decalling. 

IMG_0089

IMG_0090

IMG_0091 (3)

I'm really pleased with the result so far.  Next some gloss varnish, then some small aerials and antennas, then a bit of touching up and it's done. A friend of mine is going to make the base for me, so nearly there at last. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 10

A couple of coats of Humbrol clear gloss done.

IMG_0092

Looking okay, but still not the gloss I'm after. Does anyone know how many coats it should take? Still looking a bit patchy in places, more silk than gloss. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 5

With the build at last nearing completion it was time to concentrate on the method of displaying. As I've said earlier in this thread, I wanted to display it wheels up in a climb. To that end I'd already drilled out the two inboard engine exhausts and fitted plastic tubes to take the brass rods before I glued the fuselage together. I've also rammed some sponge up each tube to cushion the ends of the rods.

I commissioned my mate Steve to make the base out of wood, because he's really good at all thing woodwork, and I'm, well, not. This morning I got a call to say the Steve had got around to making the base and it was finished, so I popped across and picked it up. And here it is.....

IMG_0093 (2)

I'm not going to post a pic of the Vulcan on it yet, not until it is finished. Hopefully that won't be long, just a bit of wet and dry, another coat of varnish and some minor brush painting of various small bits, and to make a couple of aerials. Actually more than I thought at the start of the previous sentence, but anyhow, hopefully finished by Christmas if I can find a couple of hours here and there. 

Edited by Mark4700
  • Like 4