Airfix “Flying Tin Opener” – and it aint for baked beans!

Tomoshenko

Right then, made some progress. Got the undercarriage bits sorted. Added a strut which was missing. And a little rivet detail and hydraulic cable. More for my own satisfaction really as opposed to enhancing the kit..

Hurricane%20Wheel1_zpscklkfvib.jpg

Assembled the other stuff, in particular the 40mm guns. Drilled out the guns. To be honest the 3d kits conversion plastic was nice to work with and probably the most accurate parts of the kit.

Hurricane%20Guns1_zpsyxbzuamc.jpg

Scratched a pitot and ladder from plastic strip and rod. Again minor omissions from the kit but these really should have been incorporated.

Hurricane%20Bits_zpsvgujm7ue.jpg

Next up was to add a little scribed detail to the wings. I wasn’t going to go to the nth degree given how inaccurate much of the scribed (or unscribed) detail is, but these were blatant omissions that need sorting.

Hurricane%20Scribe1_zpslbwjtsy7.jpg

Finally got some primer on. Here are the bits and bobs:

Hurricane%20Prime%201_zpsknhug5lt.jpg

And finally the Hurricane in all her glory:

Hurricane%20Prime_zpsnckzwhqa.jpg

Looking quite nice if you don’t mind me saying.

Next up got the Azure blue on the go courtesy of Vallejo. Now a couple of things, first up it is probably a little light but I don’t care, secondly it is a little thick for my liking. Would be interested to hear of the modus operandi of Vallejo regulars; but I thinned it with undistilled fluoridised Brummie water care of the Elan Valley in Wales…Went on very well, lovely finish. Nice smell too…something like 1970s sweets.

Hurricane%20Wing3_zpsft3yjqqk.jpg

This is where I’m at. Get the other paints on tomorrow and in the week, and shock horror, will probably complete within the deadline.

• Like 5

Hi Tomoshenko,

This is starting to look real nice!

Brilliant scratch building as well.

Shame not much remains visible once the half fuselages are glued together... Unfortunately I have the same symptoms: time wasted on the invisible....

Congrats

JR

• Like 1

Thanks gents. You are right Jean about detail visibility, or the lack thereof. I take solace in knowing “that it’s there”. Well at least that’s what I keep saying to myself in an attempt to give some purpose to it. It also serves as a little challenge to add a little more interest in what is after all quite a bland kit detail wise.

This evening I got the mid stone on courtesy of Hu 94, which I used to paint the harnesses. Can’t beat a bit of colour coding – matching belt colours to external paint job. May as well have a bit of style. Tomorrow I hope to get the dark earth on.

Hurricane%20Wing4_zpseoqmel1e.jpg

• Like 2

After the mid stone I masked up ready for the dark earth. Realising that I’d run out of blu-tac I plumped for good old masking tape. Doesn’t follow the box markings exactly given they were cut out freehand using a scalpel care of the Mk1 eyeball. Look fit for purpose though:

Hurricane%20Mask_zpsfgfcipcu.jpg

On went the Hu 29. Of course I couldn’t wait to rip the masking tape off. No horrors awaited. Don’t think it looks too bad.

Hurricane%20Wing5_zpsldyjiqea.jpg

Must admit the blue looks nice n’ pretty, and contrasts well with the sandy desert camouflage, tad ironic it’s on the underside of a killing machine, certainly aesthetics weren’t on the mind of the designers.

Hurricane%20Wing6_zpssszakq1l.jpg

Anyroad I think it’s looking okay. Got some Klear on it tonight so it’s a bit shinier. Will leave overnight then get the decals on tomorrow. Panel wash and weathering awaits.

• Like 3

Rather smashing I dare say!

The "sober" detail on the wings does actually look perfect. Almost Art Deco!

Great show.

JR

• Like 1

This is absolutely superb modelling on all levels!! Your scratch building and detail work makes it look like you are working on a kit much larger than 1/72. Beautiful work! :worthy:

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind words gents. Art Deco camouflage eh Jean. Quite befitting of an aircraft from the 30’s I think. I like the concept of art movement inspired camouflage. Maybe you should try your hand at an Art Nouveau camouflage for a Morane Saulnier. Would look quite fetching methinks. Anyroad enough mirth.

Got the transfers on. They are thin and lie down very well. The only problem is that they stick fast like the proverbial dung (substitute for the other word which is modded) to a blanket. Even gallons of jet blasted Micro Set have limited effect. The net result is that I chewed up the J and V on the starboard side and had to use the other set which is fortunately provided. However, it did leave a light mark above the J which I had to touch up, and you can just make out if you look closely. Bit anxious, but other than that they are very good. My advice is if you have this kit and decide to use the supplied decals, then cut the J and V apart and apply them separately. There is little carrier film between the J and V bits and they end up going or wobbly if you’re not careful.

Hurricane%20Wing7_zps2xsrdo3c.jpg

Looking nice but far too shiny shiny Corgi die-cast come Aifix snap-together looking at the moment.

Hurricane%20Wing8_zps6njtxrhf.jpg

Will soon change that :devil: Putting on a wash made from Burnt Umber and Yellow Ochre oils. Want it dirty sand looking, as opposed to dark dirt European grime.

Hurricane%20Wing9_zpsnlg2mlfc.jpg

Will see how that dries before I get the matt varnish on and then the final weathering stage.

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 3

Right then. Stage 1 of the weathering done. Onto stage 2. The excess wash was wiped away. There was some slight residue, especially underneath, which I left on. Using soft pastels, I stubbled and brushed various shades of green, yellow, white and grey on the upper fuselage. No particular modus operandi, just lighter shades in the middle. This is then brushed off prior to a coat of Alclad Semi-Matte varnish.

Hurricane%20Wing10_zpsy4fuzzqd.jpg

The effect is quite subtle. It is a little more pronounced than the photos show, but subtle it is. The effect I’m after at this point is not a heavy handed weathering, but to break up the monotone shades and give them a little tonal variation. I hope you get my drift.

Hurricane%20Wing12_zpsyc4uaqxw.jpg

The underneath gets a similar treatment with various shades of blue and a bit of white. I’m just trying to add some variation. The underside needed more work to break up the single shade of blue. Lovely shade of blue it is, and it’s a pity to spoil it, but needs must when one is trying to replicate a desert tin opener!

Hurricane%20Wing11_zps24qbm4fv.jpg

Here it is after a coat of semi-matte varnish. Again the photos don’t really bring out the tonal variation, it is there honest, trust me – even though I’m not a doctor ;)

Hurricane%20Wing%2013_zpsgjf3t1jo.jpg

These bits get the same working over. I’ve also given the guns a coat of Metalcote gun metal, then given them a light buff. The kit instructions state matt black, but I want a faded look from being in that desert sun. It also gives me an excuse to use metalcote which I really like.

Hurricane%20Guns2_zpsmiamrl30.jpg

The prop and spinner have also been painted and given a coat of semi-matte (pictures to follow). They will then be given a similar treatment. They need a coat of semi-matte first, because if you try and use pastels directly onto a matte finish, it is too heavy handed and can ruin the finish, permeating the matt coat. Gloss is the other end of the scale as it is too…well glossy…and the pastels won’t adhere. Semi-matte is the Goldilocks – just right. You can apply the pastels and wipe away if you go too far, or add more.

I then add the semi-matte to seal everything in, and get a view of how it looks. The varnish will suppress the pastels somewhat, hence why I do it in several stages. The Alclad semi-matte will be given a couple of hours to cure then it is on to the final stage. Probably shading with white and grey pastels to give it a faded look. The odd oils stain and stone chip here and there too. Then it will get a final coat of matt.

Right while that’s curing it’s off to get a few domestics done and a couple of hours in the pub. Back soon :drink:

• Like 1

That's looking rather nice, I think you have done a great job of breaking up the tones. I am also a fan of weathering with multiple colours of pastels to give it that used battle hardened look, I probably go too far, same can be said for the chipping.... But I just cant help myself!

Big fan of the work you have done on this, it's really paying off.

Rob

• Like 1

Having trouble with photobucket. Can't view my pictures for some reason - utter load of "you know what". Anyway have defected to postimage.

Almost there. Finished off the weathering and got a coat of matt varnish. Then unmasked the pit at long last. Time to finish the pit. Here is the seat in Alclad airframe aluminium. Some debate as to its accuracy. It probably would have been cockpit green, but I’ve taken a little artistic licence with the aluminium finish to add a little contrast and colour. Made the harness from take-away tin foil.

Hurricane_Seat1.jpg

Here are the buckles folded from fuse wire and dabbed in silver paint. Okay not gonna put eduard out of business, but they’re fine from a distance. Ditto the seat adjusters.

Hurricane_Bits2.jpg

Hurricane_Seat.jpg

In situ with the gunsight added.

Hurricane_Pit20.jpg

Canopy added and kick out hatch. Not best please with how the canopy has come out. Doesn’t lie true and there is a hairline fracture on the other side. It will pass muster for now, but think I will change it at some future date.

Hurricane_Pit21.jpg

Oh as you can see I’ve got the undercarriage and big guns on. More to come in the final reveal.

Edited by Tomoshenko
  • Like 1

Well final push. Got the exhausts finished off. They’d been given a coat of gunmetal metal cote, then rubbed over with a cotton bud lightly dabbed in bronze then metallic blue. Gives ‘em a little tone.

Hurricane%20Exhausts_zps5lg8wjdd.jpg

Then the prop. I did weather it with pastels, but the matt coat pretty much muted the effect, so I dry brushed with some silver.

Hurricane%20Prop1_zpsfqshqhyu.jpg

I added the formation light – Little Cars 1mm light, then rigged up the aerials. Hence my Heath Robinson get up to tension the cable (invisible thread) while the glue dried.

Hurricane%20Cable_zpsfkejfbac.jpg

I then added a couple of handles to the canopy – folded 5amp fuse wire. As I remarked yesterday I’m not wholly satisfied with the canopy, but it will do for the time being. Handles glued in place care of Micro Kristal Klear. Also added a rear view mirror scratched from some plastic sheet and tin foil – reckon you could shave in it.

Hurricane%20Handle_zpsggnlm77z.jpg

Hurricane%20Canopy2_zpshahphk42.jpg

I got the little ladder glued on and the underwing pitot. Oh yeah, after I’d glued it in place I realised in my dotage that I’d fixed it to the wrong side…grrrr. Well it can stay there for now – batch variation come Friday afternoon job I’m putting it down too. Wheel hubs were Alclad Aluminium and tyres Tamiya NATO Black. Prefer the NATO Black to the Rubber Black.

Hurricane5_zpsn5tdood9.jpg

Some preliminary piccies. There are a few final touchings up.

Hurricane4_zpss4gq5j6h.jpg

Hurricane6_zpsx4pfqult.jpg

Hurricane3_zpslswelqzg.jpg

Might do one more post pending the gallery shots, but I think I deserve a beer.

• Like 4

Excellent work sir. Just caught up with this build, I couldn't stop reading, absolutely top notch. The scratch building is great and the overall look is stunning. :goodjob: I need one of these in my life. :D

Looking forward to the RFI.

John.

• Like 1

OK folks the finished article is posted her:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234996019-gallery/page-2

Few extra piccies I couldn't fit in the gallery. Will do a RFI when the voting it is over. My thanks to the hosts, and all those who have taken part, viewed, and just hung around. Thanks for your comments too.

Tom

Hurricane1%20-%20Copy_zpsd9kgan89.jpg

Hurricane%20-%20Copy_zps6j47f4kt.jpg

Hurricane2%20-%20Copy_zpskmbguekl.jpg

• Like 3

That is a wonderful Hurricane you have produced. All the added detail, stunning paintwork and weathering have taken it to the next level! Very well done. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I really, really need to make one of these now. But how can I match this stunner? Beautiful work, actually amazing. The paint job is worn but subtle and the extra detail is something else.

Ace job.

John. :)

• Like 1