Cleaning / stripping back the paint on bandai star wars kits

So I finally started my bandai slave one.. But I spent so long trying to get that base colour right that I messed up and now the paints on too thick..

What's the best way to strip the paint back as I know the plastic can react to some chemicals..

Any help would be much appreciated!

Isopropyl Alcohol, or Isopropanol. In fact, if you hover over IPA (it's got a dotted line under it) a little tool-tip will come up with the explanation... You're welcome :smartass:

• Like 2

Windex window cleaner (blue or clear) will strip off any acrylics in a short time and also does not damage the plastic on Bandai kits (I just stripped the x-wing and AT-ST) I was using a mix of Tamiya and other paints.

either spray and brush or place the model in a container and give it a bath in the Windex.

Also great for thinning paint :)

If you're struggling to find Fairy Power Spray (as I have been) Amazon.co.uk have it at 4 bottles for 8quid with free shipping via Prime.

That is excellent value. Sainsburys sell it but at £3.50 per bottle.

Cheers,

Nigel

There is another post, about stripping enamels rather than acrylics. Someone recommend Fairy Power Spray and a number respond saying that it used to work but that the formula has been changed and is no longer effective.

Is that the case and if so, is that just for enamels or is it true for acrylics too.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

Last week I stripped a rattle-can enamel spray from a styrene Darth Vader helmet by spraying a layer of fairy power spray over it and then sealing the helmet in a sandwich bag for an hour or two. The paint just came away with a soft brushing from a toothbrush leaving the styrene looking untouched. The fairy power spray bottle is less than a year old. For acrylics I use “Tesco Everyday Value All Purpose Cleaner” at 25 pence a litre. This stuff is magic – it also cleans stubborn brushes really easily.
This is the stuff:
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=279232373

Davros aka Mechanised Dwarf

There is another post, about stripping enamels rather than acrylics. Someone recommend Fairy Power Spray and a number respond saying that it used to work but that the formula has been changed and is no longer effective.

Is that the case and if so, is that just for enamels or is it true for acrylics too.

Cheers,

Nigel

Well, my Amazon order turned up yesterday (gave two bottles to the missus) and I've had some parts from a Bandai Gelgoog Jager soaking in it since yesterday, with a reapplication this morning and the paint didn't budge when I tried at lunch time. I'll leave it in a bit longer but it seems they may well be right.

EDIT: Well, I decided right after this post that I would just try right away. The results weren't good. No movement with a tooth brush. I had to use the pan-scourer side of a sponge and a lot of elbow grease to see paint coming away and at that point the paint stripper isn't needed as most airbrushed acrylics are going to come away when attacked with a pan-scourer. I found some Morrison's everyday cleaner in the kitchen (seems the same as the Tesco stuff going by the back of the bottle) and will try that instead.

Foamy Mr Muscle oven cleaner is supposed to be good on chrome plating on parts as well as paint.

Put the parts in a plastic bag, scoosh in the cleaner over the parts, seal the bag up and leave for 24 hours or so. It might need a second go.

It should then wash off.

Last week I stripped a rattle-can enamel spray from a styrene Darth Vader helmet by spraying a layer of fairy power spray over it and then sealing the helmet in a sandwich bag for an hour or two. The paint just came away with a soft brushing from a toothbrush leaving the styrene looking untouched. The fairy power spray bottle is less than a year old. For acrylics I use “Tesco Everyday Value All Purpose Cleaner” at 25 pence a litre. This stuff is magic – it also cleans stubborn brushes really easily.

This is the stuff:

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=279232373

Davros aka Mechanised Dwarf

Wish I'd bought some of that today, instead of the tesco own make pine disinfectant. 4 hours later, no paint removed, but the model does smell like a hospital!

Right tried Morrison's own brand cleaner stuff. Similar to Mechanised Dwarf's Tesco option...I say similar, it's likely exactly the same stuff. Still no movement on the paint after over 24 hours plus at least another 36 hours previously in the Fairy Power Spray and it's still stuck fast. This paint cannot be defeated.

Ergo: I'm just going to give it another primer coat and then micromesh the surface.

• 11 months later...

Enamel paints, Gloss enamels etc, 

Try Oven Cleaner spray. REMOVE ANY TRANSPARENCIES if you  can first.  Spray all over, put inside and seal inside a plastic bag, leave for about 24 hours. remove and rinse under water, repeat several times to get all the fiddly bits off. 

I did this to several models and it removed all the enamel gloss.