Capt Robert Johnson 61 Fs 56Fg Penrod and Sam

Good afternoon

My first entry in this Gb is the Tamiya Razorback in the markings of Penrod And Sam flown by 27 victories ace Robert Johson

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_S._Johnsonin which He scored 2 of his victories ..

278802004.jpg

I am going to replace the seat by a Pavla one and the instrument panel by a Yahuu product
241190002.jpg

Some readings
390680007.jpg

I have chosen this one because of the impressive tally of Robert Johnson and also because Penrod and Sam was the subject of the Airfix model I built when I started modelling some 40 years ago https://www.scalemates.com/kits/170868-airfix-1210-50-p-47d-thunderbolt.

So yesterday I started painting the cockpit in interior green , wheel wells in Yellow Zing Chromate , landing gear in silver .. but no pics for the moment as it is not very impressive so far , maybe tomorrow ..

Patrice

• Like 5

Ok I've checked, the paddle blade prop started to appear in Dec 43 and was tested in Jan 44 on Donovan Smith's 'Ole Cock' which was a D-11 Razorback from the 61st FS, 56th FG. I've also read that they paddle blade prop became standard on the D-22 but I would have thought a top ace like Johnson would get the pick when it comes to improvements, so I would stick with the paddle blade prop for this one.

thanks

Mike

Welcome aboard Patrice, nice to have you along on this GB.

A nice choice for the colour scheme.

From what I have read the 56th FG (which this aircraft is from) all had been fitted or retro fitted with the 13" Curtiss Symmetrical blades by late Dec43/Jan44. As everyone else has pointed out as well this is the correct blade.

Look forward to following this build.

Good luck with it, hope it's a trouble free one, plus look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

There are pics of Penrod and Sam. We are not talking of probabilities here. One look - mystery gone! :)

Still analyses above are correct and of value. One thing to add maybe is that D-22 was first production variant with paddle blade prop indeed. But D-22 carried HS screw, leaving Farmingdale.

Edited by greatgonzo

Ok I've checked, the paddle blade prop started to appear in Dec 43 and was tested in Jan 44 on Donovan Smith's 'Ole Cock' which was a D-11 Razorback from the 61st FS, 56th FG. I've also read that they paddle blade prop became standard on the D-22 but I would have thought a top ace like Johnson would get the pick when it comes to improvements, so I would stick with the paddle blade prop for this one.

thanks

Mike

Good moning Mike

Thank you

Welcome aboard Patrice, nice to have you along on this GB.

A nice choice for the colour scheme.

From what I have read the 56th FG (which this aircraft is from) all had been fitted or retro fitted with the 13" Curtiss Symmetrical blades by late Dec43/Jan44. As everyone else has pointed out as well this is the correct blade.

Look forward to following this build.

Good luck with it, hope it's a trouble free one, plus look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

Good morning Rich

Thank you ..it is a pleasure to take part in this Gb

I have already built some Tamiya Razorbacks so this one should be trouble free (I hope ..) .

Patrice

There are pics of Penrod and Sam. We are not talking of probabilities here. One look - mystery gone! :)

Still analyses above are correct and of value. One thing to add maybe is that D-22 was first production variant with paddle blade prop indeed. But D-22 carried HS screw, leaving Farmingdale.

Good morning Greatgonzo

I have seen one or two pics of Penrod and Sam but if you can tell me where I can find more it would be perfect

Patrice

Good morning all

Yesterday I painted the seat and prepared the ip (i really love these yahu ips :wow: )

7000360012.jpg

I also painted the side consoles
1535130022.jpg

and glued these parts together
8533590072.jpg

148241009.jpg

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 2

Good morning Greatgonzo

I have seen one or two pics of Penrod and Sam but if you can tell me where I can find more it would be perfect

Patrice

never seen that Airfix box-top before .. I don't think this pic is too well known. I stuck my model on top of it..via Lampie's Thunderbolt SIG - whatever happened to that?.. entre parentheses, which is the best P-47 reference, the Aerojournal or the Fana ?

RJTbolt6.jpg

• Like 2

Life got in the way.

I was the only person doing build blogs etc etc.

Impossible to get anyone to add content, and all people wanted to do was pick my brains instead of doing their own research.

Huge change in life circumstances and career about 5 years ago meant no time for anything outside of work so I couldn't devote any time to it, although it's still active and I check it in an admin role every day.

Wrote a couple of books instead though 😀

• Like 1