Faith Hope or Charity, this Sea Gladiator is going to need them all

JOCKNEY

Sorry for the late arrival.

Planning on building the Heller Gladiator into a Maltese Sea Gladiator. The original decals are missing but are hopefully on the way from Black Knight.

Not built a biplane in years and never had a go at rigging one so lots to learn, which is where you guys come in !

image_zpsywugodqv.jpeg

image_zpsp6l5prtd.jpeg

image_zpslpjaohq8.jpeg

Need to do my homework now, what paints, patterns and rigging.....

Cheers Pat

• Like 3

Whoah! That diagram, mes ami!!

Do you ever pick anything easy Pat....though I do approve of the Maltese decals - that, and a couple of drones and they will have an airforce :-)

The only thing I ever rigged was my P-26 Peashooter - single wing so not too bad, enjoyed it!!

These links might help....

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/67770-easier-biplane-rigging/

http://www.airfix.com/uk-en/forum/how-to-do-aircraft-rigging/?p=1

http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page6.html(overkill, this one I think).

Tally ho!!! :-)

• Like 1

I hope you've got some loose parts because I don't see the tailplanes in that photo.

Thanks Fred

Found lurking behind the folds in the box corners, can't write the next bit due to BM swearing regulations !

Thanks really appreciate the heads up....... Note to self, pay more attention in future when it come to checking parts !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

Just as well there aren't many parts to this one given the single 'stick it all together in one go' type assembly diagram. Interesting to see the decal choices and skis; wonder how much inspiration Airfix got from this kit :hmmm:

• Like 1

Thanks Col

The skis look the business, but would look a little bit odd in Malta ( possible What if ! )

If anyone would like them, please let me know, happy to pass onto a fellow builder.

Cheers Pat

Some progress at last, working away last weekend so had some building time.

Apologies for poor photo quality, the lighting in the hotel room and no flash is not a good combination.

Internals painted, along with a Pilot, who doesn't appear to be part of the original kit, but was in the box. That is all part o f the fun and games when you buy second had kits I suppose !

image_zpsoesz13bq.jpeg

image_zpsgwzg0pej.jpeg

The pilot didn't fit, so with the aid of the hotel room hairdryer he was warmed up a bit and had his lets straightened until I could sit him in the seat. Yes I know not exactly ideal but needs must. The pilot painting leaves a bit to be desired but I can have another stab at him before the canopy goes on.

image_zpsoxfcrud2.jpeg

I built the engine up and decided to use the bronze for the cowl on the additional parts, which look like piping I front of the cylinders. This was way too blingy so I had to think of a way of calming it down. Now I have read a lot on here about washes but never done them, and of course being away from home didn't have any of the ones I'd bought with me so, what to do. The answer was to use H33 but not shake or stir the tin, just use some of the mostly thinners off the top and paint over it, and I have to say I'm really pleased with how it turned out, apologies to the professionals reading this !

Joining the fuselage halves together was a bit of a pain as the floor in the cockpit would appear to be too wide, so it took a while to figure out where the problem was.

image_zpsnpir1vis.jpeg

Finally you will remember I was a bit worried about rigging as I hadn't done it before, and many thanks to those that sent hint / tips on how to do it. Turns out Heller have pre drilled all the wings and tail ready for rigging - RESULT !

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

At last some progress to report, I am going to do some painting tonight, then try rigging, before putting the top wing in place.

image_zpsvfemijz3.jpeg

I think this can work, but as I haven't tried rigging before, it's anyone's guess. I'm going to use knitting in elastic, as I have seen other on here use it with great success and it's much cheaper than ezee line.

image_zpsxxf5cswy.jpeg

Hopefully some painted pics tomorrow

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

Good to see this one progressing Pat. The kit certainly looks like a Gladiator and seems a perfectly worthwhile alternative to its new Airfix rival.

• Like 1

At last some progress to report, I am going to do some painting tonight, then try rigging, before putting the top wing in place.

I think this can work, but as I haven't tried rigging before, it's anyone's guess. I'm going to use knitting in elastic, as I have seen other on here use it with great success and it's much cheaper than ezee line.

If its white elastic run it over the tip of a black marker first.

Clamp the marker pen up-right with chisel tip up, then pull the elastic gently over the tip. You may need to turn the elastic over to get it all done.

It only takes a few moments to do before rigging ~ a lifetime to do when its in place

Do about 3.5 yards. All the small lengths soon add up.

• Like 1

If its white elastic run it over the tip of a black marker first.

Clamp the marker pen up-right with chisel tip up, then pull the elastic gently over the tip. You may need to turn the elastic over to get it all done.

It only takes a few moments to do before rigging ~ a lifetime to do when its in place

Do about 3.5 yards. All the small lengths soon add up.

Thanks very much, I wouldn't have thought to do that !

Every day's a school day