Bob Hoovers Rockwell F-51/Cavalier (Airfix 1/72 F-51)

A long and painful build, mostly self inflicted but at long last , its finished. Learnt a lot about spraying yellow, using superglue as a filler, the Airfix P-51 canopy challenge and how to mask a .5mm black stripe on a propeller (hint: use a decal unless you're me). As usual my canopy looks like its been painted by a six inch wide brush wielded by a blind troll.

Pretty much lost the ol' mojo for 2 months but it seems to have nipped back chipper as ever. At some point I will replace the canopy with a one piece version from my pile of Hasegawa P-51s so you can see the beautiful Yahu IP. Build here

For all of us ageing Reno fans, here is Mr Bob Hoover's pace plane- Ol' Yeller: "Gentlemen, you have a race!"

portbeauty.jpg

stbdbeauty.jpg

under.jpg

pit.jpg..

port2.jpg.

Good night and good gravy

Anil

• Like 52

Looking good and yeller.

Got a Hase 1/32 Mustang with these markings to do at some point.

Did I see the second seat in the back there? If so do you have any references as I could do with knowing more about the Cavalier conversions.

Edit - Just looked at the build thread - everything I need to know. Ta ☺

Edited by Bonhoff
  • Like 1

Very nice. I am doing a similar build myself, using the same kit. Clay Lacy's purple #64. I say 'doing' but it has sat stalled on the bench for a while now. Just can't seem to get the colour right.

Anyhow, nice model. I think your canopy painting is just fine, I would be happy with that. Nice to see a colourful racer on BM.

• Like 1

stevej60, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:53 PM, said:stevej60, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:53 PM, said:

Areal eye catching scheme Anil,beautiful build and finish.

Much appreciated, not in your league for paint and finishing but I'm getting there.

Bonhoff, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:53 PM, said:Bonhoff, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:53 PM, said:

Looking good and yeller.

Got a Hase 1/32 Mustang with these markings to do at some point.

Did I see the second seat in the back there? If so do you have any references as I could do with knowing more about the Cavalier conversions.

Edit - Just looked at the build thread - everything I need to know. Ta ☺

Done from (ageing) memory, I used to fly one of these for a director of Disney in the 80's: Each one seems different as virtually all P-51/Cavalier warbirds have a jump seat these days, even Tom Cruise's. I remember having a chat to Bob in the 80's and sitting in Ol' Yeller Mk 2 while receiving some flying tips and this is what it I think it looked like. Google and you'll find lots of refs as they are all bespoke like this

Blogs On, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:55 PM, said:Blogs On, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:55 PM, said:

.Lovely work Anil.

Having followed your tribulations during the build, the final result is pukka!

Have you succumbed to the charms of a high backed racing wild horse yet?

Thunderbird decals ready, Academy P-51c bought and Tamiya TS50 decanted...and no bleeding Airfix canopy or soft plastic, woohoo!

A

• Like 3

Hello,Anil - My compliments to you on a fine looking build of your Mustang Racer'. I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and commend the clean patina.A resplendent tribute this aircraft.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Smudge, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:56 PM, said:Smudge, on 31 Jan 2016 - 6:56 PM, said:

Very nice. I am doing a similar build myself, using the same kit. Clay Lacy's purple #64. I say 'doing' but it has sat stalled on the bench for a while now. Just can't seem to get the colour right.

Anyhow, nice model. I think your canopy painting is just fine, I would be happy with that. Nice to see a colourful racer on BM.

Thanks S: I believe that would be Miss Van Nuys/Santa Barbara (I have the same decals as well!). I get custom colours mixed as cellulose touch up pots from a local body shop: Having done much nosing around I settled for RAL 4010 Telemagenta for my upcoming build.

These paints work beautifully with either gloss thinners from same bodyshop or Mr Levelling Thinners. Dilute 50/50, 30 ml pots for 60 ml paint and remember you can specify glossy for decaling. For this build I gave up on my Mr Color and used RAL 1023 lemon yellow. They work much better than most hobby paints, are super easy to get as they are local (for me at least) and you have a vast range of RAL colors . If you're not an airbrush man, you can get them as a 400ml aerosols as well. Downside is you need an extractor and a face mask.

Anil

SovereignHobbies, on 01 Feb 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

That looks surprisingly good. Surprising because I'd never have thought an all-over yellow Mustang would appeal, you understand :)

Wait till you get a load of the magenta, candy flake blue and pastel blue ones coming up, as Cupid Stunt famously said " Its in the best possible taste!"

Anil The Camouflage Challenged

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I missed this too first time- excellent work and a lovely finish. It's not all plain sailing with the Airfix P-51... although generally very good the canopy/ windscreen are, as you say, "a challenge". You've passed with Flying Color(s) !            Cheers, Dave

• Like 1