Il-2 wing fairings.

TimTam27

Hi.

I'm currently working on a couple of 48 scale single-seat Il-2 models. One is a very early type with metal wings and fuselage and the other, a later version with wooden wings and a wooden fuselage. I've been told that there is a different type of wing fairing used depending on whether the wing is metal or wood but I've looked at lots of photos but have been unable see any difference.

Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for?

Thanks,

TimTam27

Hi Spitfire.

I was hoping Jason would see this as he was the person who brought the existence of the different fairings to my attention in the first place.

I actually posted the same question at the back-up sovietwarplanes forum but there have only been four views (two of which were me) and no replies. Might have had more success at the main forum but I wasn't able to access it. I'll have to check and see if it's working again.

Cheers,

Robert

do you mean the fairings for the landing gear or the 23mm cannons ?

both changed during the course of production.

personally I don't think these are important enough to change-I just use what comes with the kit.

there are other more important things to change if you wish.

Hi TimTam,

the early Il-2s with metal rear fuselage had always an all-metal wing of early type, that is with 20 mm guns in different position than the later wings included into the kit (which is an hybrid between 1941 and 1942); besides the early wings had landing lights on both sides, and balance horns both under their ailerons and the wingtips; the ailerons were metal-skinned, and there was some difference on the panelling. Besides the canopy was visibly less armoured.

There is a conversion of an 1/48 model on Sovietwarplanes, you can find his topic on the clone forum if you search.

I suggest to look on the site, there is a wide page where these things are explained and shown (see mod. 1941 and mod.1942).

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2.htm

Regards

Massimo

Hi Massimo,

thanks for you post. I'm actually a member and frequent visitor to your site under a different username. The page you linked to and posts on the forum (particularly Istvan's build of aircraft No.5-2) have informed the building of the early IL-2s. My build of the very early all-metal IL-2 (No.3-6) is almost at the painting stage and incorporates all of the changes you list above. The only thing stopping me from beginning the paint job is the knowledge that there may be a change needed to a wing fairing that I have missed.

Your sovietwarplanes forum would have been the natural choice to post this question but for some reason I can no longer access it. I did post this question on the altervista version of the forum but haven't had any replies. I thought I would try my luck here because I know Learstang the IL-2 guru frequents this site. Well at least he used to.

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by TimTam27

ah!

I'm not aware of any difference in the Carman's Sleeves - correct terminology for the wing/fuselage fairing.

Never heard of that either. Sounds more like a slang term than a technical one.

Hi,

if I remember well, some hatches related to the access to the bomb bays from above should be missing on the early planes.

Regards

Massimo

Hi Massimo,

when Accurate Miniatures tooled up their 1:48 Sturmovik kits they seemed to be a bit confused about the variants and as a result the kit is bit of a dog's breakfast. From what I understand this particular mix of fuselage, wing and armament probably never existed. Luckily for people building the early type IL-2 the inner wing sections over the bomb bays are more or less correct for the early aircraft and require very little work. The hatches that should be missing are missing. It's not so good if you want a later type because the hatches need to be added.

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by TimTam27

Karman sleeve(s) is actually a common aeronautical term in Eastern Europe and Russia.

It all depends from which sources the first aircraft material came that the local designers and manufacturers studied, in this case, French sources.

IIRC a lot of American flying slang comes from the French - f.eg. the term chandelle.

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

Channel or gutter would be a better translation, the word in Croatian is "slivnik", best translated as drain gutter or similar; as in the part that forces the fluid (in this case, air) to pass over/through.

Edit: now that I wrote the last sentence, yes, channel it is :-)

Vedran

Edited by dragonlanceHR
  • Like 1