IBG 1/700th Hunt 2 destroyer

A little more progress on this thing this week,but as I said,I have several quite complex scratchbuilds underway,so this takes a back seat most of the time.

I decided to tackle the funnel. It consists of a single moulding,with the funnels screen done in etch. I added the characteristic funnel top,which is missing,and the access platform that just about all RN destroyers carried on the aft face. This gives on to the sirens fitted each side. Again, I used a scrap piece of Flyhawk ladder to connect the platform to the 2pdr pom pom platform. Some pipework on the front,and then the etched screen,which was a right ******* to fit. It is of very thin brass,and springy as hell. In effect an 8 legged spider with 4 fixing points. I got it in place in the end but am not that happy with it. I might redraw it and replace it later.

25228181452_300ef567d2_b.jpgHunt 28 funnel a by plastichacker, on Flickr

25320240856_a083ef4e04_b.jpgHunt 29 funnel b by plastichacker, on Flickr

25228179682_e949bc9379_b.jpgHunt 30 funnel c by plastichacker, on Flickr

I'm using a different camera and am still playing with settings-it isn't as sharp as the old Nikon,and the white balance is still off.

The funnel and pom pom platform are now fixed in place on the hull. The DF loop on the bridge front is one of the parts I had etched as mentioned recently,it is missing from the kit.

24719687843_7371f1044a_b.jpgHunt 31 by plastichacker, on Flickr

Incidentally I deliberately used Imperial measurements for the plastic card etc. The best stuff is US made,and sized as such,though the metric size is quoted on the packaging.

mtd

• Like 8

About time I updated this a little. Not much progress TBH,busy elsewhere. I had decided pretty much from the off which parts would need replacing,and the DCT was one of them. I am sure a reasonable facsimile of the real thing could be made from the kit bit,but it is very much simplified as supplied.

24980074964_97dab1f076_b.jpgHunt 32 kit DCT by plastichacker, on Flickr

I had to search long and hard to get enough info together to make a stab at a replacement-the real thing shows up in countless photos,but often,was stowed rearwards,apparently its "normal" position.This was the case on the several classes of ships it was used on,not just the Hunts. It consists of a base, and an open topped enclosure,topped with a canvas cover,which angled down towards the front,and gives it its distinctive shape. On top of this was added the framework to carry the Type 285 gunnery set. Early aerials consisted of 5 dipoles,later increased to six. The part consists of close to 30 bits of plastic,mostly card,but with a scrap piece of sprue for the canvas cover. Not easy to photograph.

24980074704_9876d87fb5_b.jpgHunt 33 DCT 1 by plastichacker, on Flickr

25584448406_22bdb411b4_b.jpgHunt 34 DCT 2 by plastichacker, on Flickr

25584448076_aa6c740a8e_b.jpgHunt 35 DCT 3 by plastichacker, on Flickr

The thing needs a little tidying and of course,the etched 285 hasn't been fitted. I drew one up,and I think it fits,but won't know until I try it out,but I might cast the thing before hand,to save making another later.

mtd

• Like 4

• 9 months later...

It's been a while since I posted on this thing. It got put to one side,and then forgotten,as other projects needed advancement. I really should finish it....

Anyway,since the last postings,the DCT tower got cast and the 285 gunnery radar etch was fitted.As I drew this etch myself I only have myself to blame if it looks c*ap but it is vast improvement over the kit part. Unfortunately the metal parts don't show up well and I'll paint a coat of undercoat for the next photos. Also now fitted is the forward 4" Mk.XIX twin HA/LA mount-again this is my own master cast in metal,and the same comment applies. The wing 20mm bases are fitted,as is the base of the anchor winch assembly. I also added the kit supplied inclined ladders,though I probably should have left these off till nearer the end-they looked like they might get dinged.

30970701663_ecfe3ec6c1_b.jpgHunt 36 by plastichacker, on Flickr

31664021571_09bd7a8294_b.jpgHunt 37 by plastichacker, on Flickr

Season Greetings to all

mtd

• Like 6

I suddenly remembered that I was supposed to be making this full hull,and realised that if I didn't get that sorted it would difficult to line up the lower and upper parts once a lot of the etch and detailing was in place.So that was the next job,at least as far as lining it up.The rest,like rudder,props and A brackets,sonar dome etc can be done later. The simplest way,to me,was to drill holes and make locating pins,in this case from .125" Plastruct rod.

31745401296_8b56748a52_b.jpgHunt 38 by plastichacker, on Flickr

Of course what i probably should have done is make a cut out under the hull,and a plate the same shape on the lower hull,but the plastic here is very thick,and something that would have been easy before I started assembly became very hard after....

31745400796_37576e38b2_b.jpgHunt 39 by plastichacker, on Flickr

Note how I messed up with the alignment and had to superglue a plate on one side to allow for the correct shape-this will be almost totally removed after

30972837183_10fda6a487_b.jpgHunt 40 by plastichacker, on Flickr

And after about half an hour shaving and carving,followed by a quick coat of Halfords primer,as it will not show up well when bare white plastic,I got this

31454261100_8fb0c975b4_b.jpgHunt 41 by plastichacker, on Flickr

31679766282_ee289c448d_b.jpgHunt 42 by plastichacker, on Flickr

The plate has almost completely gone,and the join invisible. 

Whilst there I started adding back the missing detail at the sharp end,mostly from scrap plastic and some custom etched chain I had done at the same time as the other 1/700th parts I thought I'd need. Still a bit more to do here.

31679765772_94139bcc44_b.jpgHunt 43 by plastichacker, on Flickr

31454259560_ecd1bc144b_b.jpgHunt 44 by plastichacker, on Flickr

mtd

• Like 4

I have just seen this and read through it, amazing. I built this O.O.B recently and struggled with some of it. I never even thought about doing some of the modifications that you have done,

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

This thing goes in fits and starts-wanting to get on with the midships section, I mulled over what to do about the boats and davits for ages. I knew that they'd have to go,as no matter which way I looked at them,they were pants. The 27' whaler fitted to these ships,and many others looked nothing like the kit part. The motor boat was slightly better,but not by much. So,I put it to one side knowing that I'd have make the effort eventually. 

I don't have much in the way of 1/700th scale ship kits,and no "spares" box at all. I do have a Trumpeter HMS Eskimo,and a limited release of a River class frigate kitted by a Japanese company whose name escapes me for the moment. The sprues with the relevant parts are shown below,Trumpeter on the left. Neither were stellar,in fact the Trumpeter boats are clap really, but I could see potential in the frigates motor boat,so that left a whaler to scratch build. The start of the master,along with the IBG kit part are at the bottom.

32304738505_1c47d29700_b.jpgHunt 45 by plastichacker, on Flickr

The sequence for scratch building the whaler follows,it should be self explanatory really,and a picture should save me typing a 1000 words of drivel. 

31493892583_e1d0a44af2_b.jpgHunt 46 by plastichacker, on Flickr

32304737375_4729aeecba_b.jpgHunt 47 by plastichacker, on Flickr

32304737065_14f4db6f49_b.jpgHunt 48 by plastichacker, on Flickr

32185116141_d788ec1f7d_b.jpgHunt 49 by plastichacker, on Flickr

And a not particularly good photo of the finished "master" which will be resin cast

32304736475_8790299322_b.jpgHunt 50 by plastichacker, on Flickr

And here is the motor boat,duly dolled up and shown next to a casting quickly painted up to test various colours and how they look

32185115701_0287c19aac_b.jpgHunt 51 by plastichacker, on Flickr

And the 2 new boats test cast and painted-they will look better than this when I do the actual model,I hope.

32304735605_63c4762a88_b.jpgHunt 52 by plastichacker, on Flickr

Next I have to sort out the davits,as the photo etched ones look just too flimsy to look realistic. As I am not aware that anyone else has ever shown a way of making ships boats in smaller scales,other than jazzing up kit parts I hope this is of some use to somebody.

mtd

• Like 2

I could hardly see these two boats when I built this ship, I needed both my spectacles and an optivisor to see any sort of detail on them, great work creating these 2 boats with so much detail,

Andt