B-17 With A Difference Part 2- 1/72nd B-17F Fortress 9202 `Mailplane', 168 (HT) Sqn, RCAF, but now in its later overall silver scheme

Hiya Folks,

Having already built a model of RCAF B-17F Fortress `Mailplane' 9202 wearing its Olive Drab and Neutral Grey scheme, seen here;http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234994080-b-17-with-a-difference-172nd-scale-royal-canadian-air-force-fortress-mailplane/?hl=%2Bfortress+%2Brcaf

32_zps0aosek2x.jpg

I decided to build another model of the same aircraft, again using the 1/72nd Academy B-17F kit, but this time wearing its overall bare metal scheme from 1945,........ and here it is;

b17-1_zps5bxqqnnx.jpgI

b17-2_NEW_zpsudjtn64o.jpg

b17-3_zpsk9kbnbkp.jpg

b17-4_zps74pfnlix.jpg

b17-9_zpsy3wv2yq5.jpg

b17-6_zpsu4wfujm3.jpg

[/url]

DSCF6929_NEW_zpszhsppbq5.jpg

b17-7_NEW_zpsoybcr9kg.jpg

b17-8_NEW_zpsiybyryom.jpg

It was sprayed using rattle can Tamiya Bare Metal Silver, sections were masked off and brush painted using Humbrol Metalcote Polished Aluminium, Tamiya Black was used for the anti glare panel and de icer boots, Humbrol 35 gloss varnish was brushed onto the model ready for the decals. The wheels are the rather expensive resin items from Eduard because I didn`t have any spare B-17G wheels (ie without hub covers) left in the spares box. The gun turrets were covered over using plastic card, as was the recess for the tail guns and as per the first model the framework for the nose gun mounting was also added inside the nose glazing using plastic rod. I didn`t cut out the small windows on either side of the astrodome this time as I could not see these in the reference photos depicting the silver machine and presumed they had been painted over? Some Humbrol Polished Aluminium was dry brushed over the model and polished with a soft rag to try and add a metallic sheen and to depict some sign of the surfaces being distressed during polishing of the real aircraft.

Hope you like it,

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 54

Hello,Tony - As with all your builds,here's another beautifully built and finished exhibit from 'O'Toole Aerospace.' These 'Finely Fettled Fortresses' make an interesting comparison in their different schemes.They're both splendid tributes to the type.Hope to see you at 'Huddersfield Show?' :) All the very best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks for your very kind words everybody, they are very much appreciated and I`m glad that you like the Fortress.

Nice one Tony, I really like that. What about a transport Short Stirling next (or have u already done one?)

Yup,......done a Stirling Mk.V by converting an old model, but I intend to do another. Here is my conversion thread and the finished model;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234967345-airfix-72nd-scale-short-stirling-cmkv-conversion-revamped-old-kit/?hl=stirling

1_zps1787ec0d.jpg

• Like 6