New Decals from Atlantic Models

John @ WEM

Are you building the 1/130 Shell Welder kit? We have news for you!

Following several requests for decals for the MT Shell Welder kit that is being produced by various Eastern European companies nowadays, I have put together a set of images of the original content from the kits decal sheet as it was produced by Frog models--plus the addition of the flags that were on a sheet of sticky backed paper, now all in decal form:

Shell%20Welder%20Decals_zpsq4z9yyn8.jpg

I have not been given a price yet from the printers, but will let you know what the retail will be as soon as I know. Pre Orders can be sent in as usual by e-mail: To place an order, e.mail me at [email protected] giving the item description and/or reference number.

Cheers,

Peter Hall

• Like 1

Just a quick word on the draught marks, Peter; the numbers and the spaces should be of equal height.

When read with the water level with the bottom of the number, the draught is that number of feet. When read with the water level with the top of the number, the draught is that number of feet plus 6 inches.

I.E. the numbers and the gaps are both 6" high.

There should be 6 sets of draught marks, bow, stern & midships port and starboard

The plimsol marks aren't correct either, see here

Letters either side of the circle denote the classificatiion society, LR Lloyds Register, BV Bureau Veritas.

Lines to the left denote Fresh water max draughts, Tropical Fresh & Fresh max draughts

Lines to the right denote Salt water max draughts, Tropical, Summer, Winter and Winter North Atlantic.

The line through the circle should align with the Summer max draught mark

I realise you've copied the original decal sheet, but if you're going to the trouble of producing a new sheet you might as well correct the errors?

Hi Dave,

Peter asked me to post these pics:

shellwelder01_zpsgznj4vfa.jpg

helderline_shell_tanker_shell-welder_zps

along with his comment:

"I think they are self explanatory, but the picture of the bow showing the draft marks clearly shows that the ones in the decal sheet are as they appear in the photo. Due to the lack of photos of the actual ship but relying on what was in the original kit, there doesn't appear to be any draft marks anywhere else on the ship. There must have been some at the stern but I do not have any pictures as to what the looked like. As far as the plimsoll marking go, all ships varied in what was actually on the side. A small 160 foot coaster would not really have a full set of markings. What can be made out from the second photo, which is unclear, is basically a set of lines on the starboard side, which is where they should be. That is what is in the decal sheet. I did the decal sheet to provide modellers of the Shell Welder with something as close as possible to the real thing, whilst still following the original set that was in the Frog kit. The anorak in me stayed in the closet as far as going into what the legal requirements of Lloyds Register say should be there."