1/72 - Fairey Barracuda Mk.II/.III by Special Hobby - released - new Mk.III "ASW Mk.XI Radar" variant in May 2019

Homebee

This could be very interesting - or not very. Depends on whether the interior has been upgraded to current expectations. They need at least to represent that strange worktop-like decking through which the observer pokes his head. Somes stores (bombs and racks) would be nice too If it's a minimum change rebox with a new set of transfers, ... meh.

Special Hobby now produces both short run and long run kits eg.Gnat/Vampire etc...,and in my opinion that whats dubious

about this release, its another short run kit of a subject that due to its numbers and historical significance deserves to be properly tooled.

Was less than overwhelmed by the new tool Chesapeake. Bought it (two, actually) partly because I assumed they would have sorted out the most obvious error with the kit, the incorrectly shaped intake on top of the engine cowling. Wrong. Yet they got it right with the Azur boxing: corrected version included with the resin bits.

I second the motion for a wing fold option. I just scratch built folded wings on a Firefly, and the Barracuda's folding wings were even more bizarre! I wouldn't look forward to having to scratch build those. But then, what do I do with the old Special Hobby Barracuda kit that is in my stash? Hmmm...nonetheless, looking forward to a new tooling, even if it is short run. Special Hobby have done some marvelous resin cockpits in the past, I hope they do that with the new kit. :)

Cheers,

Bill

I second the motion for a wing fold option. I just scratch built folded wings on a Firefly, and the Barracuda's folding wings were even more bizarre! I wouldn't look forward to having to scratch build those. But then, what do I do with the old Special Hobby Barracuda kit that is in my stash? Hmmm...nonetheless, looking forward to a new tooling, even if it is short run. Special Hobby have done some marvelous resin cockpits in the past, I hope they do that with the new kit. :)

Cheers,

Bill

Airwaves did a wing fold set, though it is OOP. Perhaps Special Hobby will produce there own. And I agree, a resin cockpit would be lovely!

Nice, another Barracuda to add to my collection! I hope they also do the Mk.V.

Regards,

Jason

Yes it would be nice to see them do MK.V as an injection moulded kit in 72nd

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Moulds in progress.

Source: http://www.mpmkits.net/2016/03/sh72306-fairey-barracuda-mkiiiii.html

SH72306 Fairey Barracuda Mk.II/III - electroplated moulds

As our 1/32 Tempest project moulds are being hard worked on by our mouldmakers, other model projects simply have to wait in a queue. One of the airplane projects that is to be treated as soon as the Tempest has been finished is a new Mk.II/III Fairey Barracuda kit. Besides standard clear parts frame, this model project will involve two frames injected into electroplated moulds and a frame from standard metallic model tooling block.While the electroplated moulds are featured below for you all to see, the milled mould still exists only as 3D CAD design.

IMG_4133.JPG

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice artwork,.....looks the same as the 1/48th kit,....or similar at least.

I`d love a positionable canopy so that the pilots canopy at least can be depicted slid back,....as pr the box art! Even better if the Observers canopy does too,....or even the TAG`s,....although this was mostly kept closed. lf there are opening canopies,.....remember the triangular clear sections attached to the rear frames of the windscreen,....these are normally underneath the canopy hoos when it is closed.

Armament would be nice too,....including a 1,600lb armour piercing bomb beneath the fuselage.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Source: http://www.specialhobby.info/2016/06/newsletter-special-hobby-july-2016.html

SH72306

Fairey Barracuda Mk.II “Home Fleet” 1/72

428530c0-dc9d-40d0-a6e6-371775dfb6fb.jpg

The Barracuda carrier-borne torpedo and dive bomber aircraft was already kitted by our company many years ago, in a shape of the then-standards for short-run models. Now we would like to bring you something really completely different. This new Barracuda kit is being made using three all-metal mould tooling blocks and its highly detailed grey styrene plastic parts will be accompanied by one clear parts sprue. The decal sheet caters for two options, both of which saw action over the Atlantic, one adorned with a striking nose-art. There will be also an option for the modeller to arm his Barracuda with either the torpedo slung under the fuselage or to use a 1600 lbs bomb. The model comes also with under-wing bomb racks.

The Barracuda was a shoulder-wing aircraft fitted with a set of large Youngman wing flaps mounted at the wing trailing edge and featured also rather unusually looking L-shaped undercarriage legs. The aircraft was capable of anti-shipping torpedo attacks, level and dive (up to 70 degrees angle) bombing and was also used for long range reconnaissance duties. Its electronic equipment consisted of an ASV IIN radar set. Although the Barracuda had primarily been designed as a torpedo bomber, the number of actual attack missions with this weapon was rather low and these took place only in Norwegian waters. The Barracuda was most of the time used in a dive bomber role, saw action during the Allied landing in Italy, carried out attack against German battleship Tirpitz (some of the planes being equipped with ex-US 1600 pound AP bombs) and also, taking off from either land bases or aircraft carriers, flew missions against German maritime traffic off Norwegian shore and patrolled the sea against German U-boats.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2