Arado 396, 5th May 1945, Prague, Huma 1/72 - Flickr!

JWM

Hi,

A small airplane having Czech markings appeared on 5th May 1945 over Prague bringing people joy and hope of approching end of war. It was Arado 396

http://www.vhu.cz/exhibit/arado-ar-396-podvozkova-noha/

If you can notice from above link with photos the national insignia were painted with error regarding orientation and were hand painted (in real thing) - not very precisly.

Here is my attempt of build it. This is Huma kit - with smalll modification in exhaust pipes added and one bulb on nose removed (following the photos), the landing light is a bit upgrated. Decals from drawer. BTW - I expect that incoming RS model will have this painting scheme almost for sure.

ar396 DSC00388ar396 DSC00376ar396 DSC00375Ar396 DSC00374

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Edited by JWM
Switch to Flickr
  • Like 30

Thank you Gents for comments and likes - appreciete it.

The "un-tiding" of national insignia was risky.

About the Arado 396 - Theis machine was developed close to the end of war, was produced in limited number during WWII and it was then more successfull after '45 - France produced this tipe as SIPA S10,S11 and S 12 and used it even conflicts like in Algeria... - more here: http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_arado_ar_396.html

Cheers

J-W

• 3 months later...

BTW - I expect that incoming RS model will have this painting scheme almost for sure.

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Hi Jerzy, I came back to this thread after looking at the thread for the new SH Ar 96A, I'm curious about the RS models Ar396 you mention, I can see nothing about it any where, I'd be keen on such a kit, certainly as a French SIPA from Algeria maybe. Can you give any more info on this?

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1

Are you happy with the dimensions of this model ? I recall there was some question of its accuracy, not that it matters.

I was not checking model with plans - what usually I do. It looked for me not bad camparing to photos although some changies around engine I did following what I've seen on photos. For example I removed lower row of ventilation pannels on engine and added standard exhaust pipes. I removed also a "bulb" on top of engine since it was not seen on photos of this exactly machine.

Regarding general dimensions - I measured it right now. Model has wingspan 15.2 cm and lenght 12.3 cm. Accuracy of my measurement is not high - I did not used any special device like calliper for it, just ordinary ruler. So I will name it "plus minus 1 mm". or even "plus minus one and half mm". The real aircraft was 11.0 wingspan and 9.30 lenght. So in 1/72 should be 15.2 cm and 12.9 cm. It means that wings are OK but fuselage is 6 mm too short. That is sad true....I have not discovered it before - oposide to case of Academy Ju 87 G, where I did and corrected :)

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

Dalea, no prob :)

Steve - SIPA 12 is produced by Omega http://www.winglmodels.cz/winglmodels/eshop/17-1-Resin/478-4-1-72/5/19977-1-72-S-I-P-A-12-French-Arado-Ar-396. About the plans of RS I think I've lernt here, at BM but I cannot find the reference now on Rumourmonger. So perhaps I am wrong, sorry for giving you hope...

Best regards

J-W

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

hI jERZY!!!!

i WAS LOOKING FOR the nice build you have done with this one BUT the Guys from Photobucket denied the pleasure of watch it...Would you b so kind when have time to put the pics again???

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Cheers!!1

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

Luis Alfonso - thank you very much for interest. It is a while since our last talk.  

On this f...bucket  I hosted 2850 photos of about 290 models to present on RFI. I am intending to move all to Flickr, but up to now I did it for CASA Breg XIX (+WIP), Breda 27 and Breda 65. So some 287 left. I will try to reconstruct this Arado thread ASAP :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

I've just converted this thread to photos from Flickr, along with all other my Arados: 68, 95,96 and 196! So some 282 still left to convert :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 4

Hi Jerzy - A lovely model, build and finish to !  You know we really must compare notes - Please see my latest post !!  On Monday evening I should also have a Czech plane to post.

Best regards Colin.

• Like 1

Hi Jerzy!!!! 

Really have enjoyed this build you did!!!

BTW this past week have won one from HUMA too in Ebay, the kit was fortunately cheaper and hope next week will have it in my hands.

Seem this one has decals for French SIPA aircraft as this one was one of the most longer operative life, but after reading the nice story that is with your nice build, can consider to replicate your wonderful build too!!!

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso 

• Like 1

Luis Alfonso, there are very nice French schemes from Algier like that:

21_2.jpg

21_12.jpg

21_5.jpg

I am sure you know them...

Martin, thank you for comment :)

Cheers

J-W

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JWM said:

Luis Alfonso, there are very nice French schemes from Algier like that:

21_2.jpg

21_12.jpg

21_5.jpg

I am sure you know them...

Martin, thank you for comment :)

Cheers

J-W

Hi Jerzy!!!

Thank you very much!!! Seem will have to rework mainly the canopy and the tail with some add-ons to get the right flavor of the subject, Thank you very much for sharing and encourage the build!!!

Cheers,

Luis Alfonso

• Like 1

I really do like the unusual and less well known types that you model. I also like the paint finish on this model - it looks rough but that is exactly how it should be of course! I wonder what judges at a competition would make of that.........

P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Obviously your work had also fallen victim to f...bucket policy? Nice to see you back here.

Cheers,

Thank you, Mario. I reconstructed some six threads so far. Out of about 290....A task for a year I think :( 

On 19.07.2017 at 11:08 PM, pheonix said:

I really do like the unusual and less well known types that you model. I also like the paint finish on this model - it looks rough but that is exactly how it should be of course! I wonder what judges at a competition would make of that.........

Phoenix, thank you! I think here the whole audience of BM spectatoros are the jury :)

Regards

J-W

• Like 1