1/72 - Hunting Jet Provost T.3/T.3a & T.4 by Airfix - released - new T3/T.4 boxing in June 2024

Homebee

3 hours ago, tonywood said:

The kit subject is XN468 which would make it a T3

Nope, built as T3 but retained by the manufacturer and converted to one of the prototype T4s. Then refurbished and issued to CFS as a T4 where it was used in the Red Pelicans

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

The elevator horn needs changed from an angled shape to right angles. A little bit of filling is needed as the horn on the T3 is curved, but then just rescribe

There's a bit more to it than that, it was discussed in this thread although many of the pictures from that thread are missing.

Essentially, the elevator horns as mentioned, there's the intakes on the upper fuselage, the JP.3 had a pair of small intakes but those on the JP.4 were larger and more prominent.  Airfix missed the intakes from their new kit, the larger ones are in their JP.5 kit but they're fairly simple to scratch build I reckon.  The cockpit colouring is different too, JP.3 had black cockpit and Instrument Panel, JP.4 had black cockpit with grey IP.

Export T.51 equates to JP.3, T.52 a JP.4.

Any changes are easily achievable.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2017 at 5:39 PM, Wez said:

There's a bit more to it than that, it was discussed in this thread although many of the pictures from that thread are missing.

Essentially, the elevator horns as mentioned, there's the intakes on the upper fuselage, the JP.3 had a pair of small intakes but those on the JP.4 were larger and more prominent.  Airfix missed the intakes from their new kit, the larger ones are in their JP.5 kit but they're fairly simple to scratch build I reckon.  The cockpit colouring is different too, JP.3 had black cockpit and Instrument Panel, JP.4 had black cockpit with grey IP.

Export T.51 equates to JP.3, T.52 a JP.4.

Any changes are easily achievable.

Film footage of Red Pelicans on YouTube shows at least one of the T4s had a black instrument panel.

• 2 months later...

Source: https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/news/workbench/an-airborne-warrior-at-sea/

Life before the Red Arrows

ImageK

This handsome Jet Provost wears the distinctive colours of the Red Pelicans Aerobatic Display Team

Although the Airfix range of small starter sets is described as being ideal for the beginner, these delightful models really do have to be considered as much more than that. Supplied complete with glue, acrylic paints and a paint brush, these models are indeed the perfect way for first time modellers to try their hand at the hobby, but they can also be perfect for people returning to the hobby after a break and indeed for the committed, regular modeller looking for a great kit which comes with some extras that will always come in handy. The current range includes a beautiful new kit which has just been released and marks a particularly handsome aircraft that thrilled Airshow crowds in the days before the world famous Red Arrows. As the RAF moved to an all jet flight training programme in the early 1960s, they could not have imagined that the Jet Provost aircraft they were using would provide training support for the next thirty years.

The close side-by-side arrangement of the Jet Provost cockpit must have been both a blessing and a curse for the RAF student pilot but would certainly have highlighted any mistakes they made. For the capable, instinctive student, it would have allowed them to closely observe the skills of his flying instructor and emulate these in developing his own flying style. For the less confident, or struggling student, the cockpit of his Jet Provost must have been an intimidating environment.

The Hunting Percival/BAC Jet Provost went on to provide over thirty years of faithful service to Royal Air Force training units and over 500 aircraft were eventually constructed for the RAF alone. It is highly likely that almost every RAF pilot to serve between 1960 and 1988 would have time in his log book on the JP and in many cases, would have received his basic training on the aircraft. Without doubt, the Jet Provost deserves to be considered as one of the most significant jet aircraft to ever serve in the Royal Air Force and was a resounding success for the British aviation industry.

(A55116) Hunting Percival Jet Provost T.Mk.4, XN468, Red Pelicans display team, Central Flying School, Royal Air Force Little Rissington, Gloucestershire, England 1966.

ImageL

Profile artwork showing one of the Red Pelican Jet Provosts

ImageM2.jpg

Full scheme artwork for Small Starter Set A55116

At a time when many RAF stations operated their own aerobatic display teams, the ‘Red Pelicans’ of the Central Flying School were amongst the most distinctive, often flying in the same display programme as the Red Arrows. Formed at RAF Kemble in 1962, the team originally made use of four standard Jet Provost T.Mk.4 aircraft which were equipped with white smoke generators for display purposes. The following year the team was expanded to six aircraft, which were all given a smart new bright red paint scheme and performed many display routines at shows in the UK and on the Continent.

In 1964, the Red Pelicans became the official aerobatic display team of the Royal Air Force, replacing the English Electric Lightnings of the ‘Firebirds’ which could no longer be spared for Airshow duties. In the same year at a spectacular SBAC Farnborough Airshow, the six Jet Provosts of the Red Pelicans flew in formation with the 5 Folland Gnats of the new 4FTS ‘Yellowjacks’, which must have been a memorable sight for anyone lucky enough to witness it.

This striking small starter set is available online now or from your local Airfix stockist.

V.P.

On 1/4/2017 at 11:09 AM, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting, the drawings show (correctly) that the CFS lettering appeared over a different shade of red (I suspect due to carrier film in real life!). 

Jet Provost T.4 XN468-41

You can also do it without the CFS lettering

That's my photo Dave!  I think the aircraft had been repainted and rather than re-apply the lettering, they masked and painted round it, resulting in the paint around the lettering looking slightly faded. Not supposed to be a different shade!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, AMB said:

That's my photo Dave!  I think the aircraft had been repainted and rather than re-apply the lettering, they masked and painted round it, resulting in the paint around the lettering looking slightly faded. Not supposed to be a different shade!

Sorry Adrian, I don't think the Flickr link carried over the attribution! my mistake!

Interesting though, the Red Pelcans went through a few colour iterations in their short time

38 minutes ago, AMB said:

Good to know the reason behind that feature. Thanks for the explanation Adrian.

8 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Interesting though, the Red Pelcans went through a few colour iterations in their short time

The difference could just be down to a different batch of paint or just the fading of the original paint, I suppose.