Ace British Staff Car 8HP

Mancunian airman

I shall be interested to see one of these built but please not in that ghastly bright green colour or pattern painting. The markings are halfcock too. 2 Corps used 45 on black for the signals, 31 on black is 3 Corps. I am not sure that the white over blue signals colours were used in 1940 either.

• Like 1

Sgt. keep the noise down, I'm under cover

Mike

As I am RAF inclined I shall have RAF marking applied and YES as regards painting, both will be Brown base but with the earlier green over camouflage and the second, 'Mickey Mouse'

PS Quite like the look of those Snipes

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

There was no green over brown scheme on vehicles. There is Khaki Green 3 basic colour which despite the name looks more brown than green with Dark Green G4 over that. Then the 1941 MTP.46/4A scheme that the 'MM' is a simply version of. You could ring the change and have Khaki Green 3 basic with Dark Tarmac No.4 instead of green in 1941.

• 2 months later...

I am working both vehicles together although with different camouflage schemes

25908188183_155d874a54_z.jpg

Very little flash to speak of but I always file down the wheel thread as there is the usual centre line from the moulding

26485097196_b98eb562bf_z.jpg

I could not quite work out how the front steering arm and axle were combined so I left the former out . . .

• 8 months later...

I had completely forgot about posting the update of the final finish ( I applied the headlights as a final touch as I find they are prone to be knocked off).

The kits are not the best fit but I take some consulation that they help to populate my collection for my diorama . . . . I put the Flt. Commander in one of the cars

The markings are for No1 Group Bomber Command

32281604976_11a9d86907_z.jpg

32281605396_391895392e_z.jpg

32281606036_4308d5f484_z.jpg

Thanks for looking in 

Ian

• Like 3

I've said this before in other threads, but it's worth saying again here.  I've used the Ukrainian store www.hobby.dn.ua many times, and they seem to carry the full Ace range.  They also do a lot of other East European stuff, perhaps unsurprisingly: things you don't see in other places, as well as things you do.  

Prices are very keen for things of Ukrainian and Russian origin as there aren't the layers of importers and resellers profits and VAT added in the EU, but be warned there are risks of customs charges - not that I've ever been charged for anything bought here.  Shipping costs are very reasonable.  I've found that money can be saved (in the current economic climate, anyway) by paying in Grivna/Hrivna (UAH) (spellings very) rather than € or $, even allowing for card currency charges.  But you can't do this in PayPal from the UK, only directly by card.  You can switch currencies in the basket and compare with www.Xe.com or similar.

I have found them to be utterly reliable, and the same can be said for Ukrainian post whose shipping times are reasonable.  Stock levels are real time and accurate and re-stocks do seem to happen in predicted timescales.  They speak passable English by email.

Very nice, this looks a bit like a Morris 10, would that be right ?

Also would these have had white painted on the edges of the wings ? As this was wartime practice to make cars more visible without putting the lights on.

regards Pat

Its a Ford 10

Ford had the habit of punning its car names at that time

Forlite = four side windows

Tudor = two doors [pronounce Tudor the American way]

Fordor = four doors

AFAIR the white was introduced November 1939 and was officially not required from spring 1940. Civilians and emergency vehicles kept on using it but the military stopped as it compromised camouflage.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2017 at 8:25 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Very nice, this looks a bit like a Morris 10, would that be right ?

Also would these have had white painted on the edges of the wings ? As this was wartime practice to make cars more visible without putting the lights on.

regards Pat

Sorry for the delayed response Pat . . . 

The car is not to dis-similar to the Morris 10 but  I've not that an expert.

I believe the white edges on vehicles was primarily for civilian cars, indeed the wartime practise but of the many airfield based vehicles,  that I think is quite unusual.

Ian

• Like 1