Roden VC10

SHAR67

No idea... :shrug:

I already saw pics of the kit sprues ,decals and box arts somewhere here on Britmodeller,but no retailer seems to have it in stock yet.

Waiting myself eagerly for them as I have already 3 on order

So Alex - what is your plan for the 3rd one? Please share how you cut it down ( I'm assuming this is the plan )

Mike

Hi Mike,

The 3rd one is actually planned as some sort of study.

In one magazine called "Aeroplane" that I still have from childhood was the story of the VC-10.There was a picture showed of a planned version named Super VC-10 that was equipped with tip tanks like the Super Constellation.It looked so cool and I always wanted to build one like that.

With the Roden Super VC-10 kits I should be able to produce one of these.I hope I will find more pictures of that never released version,and I guess I will not have to cut it down...its even possible that I will have to lengthen it...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just got the 2 models available BOAC and EAA, they have the gold correctly on the Speedbird logo and I think they look great !

The engines don't have the correct angle on them (the pylons) but other than that it looks good.

There are 2 nose cones one looks like a tanker nose, so I hope that's in the offing as well.

Just my uninformed 2 cents worth.

• 1 month later...

I got my "Iron Duck" in the post yesterday.

Overall it looks nice. The plastic is smoother that that found on the 720. The panel lines are very delicate. There are several sprue connections that join on the mating surfaces of the fuselage halves, so some work will be in order to correct this. Like with the 720, there are a grand total of 2 locator pins on the fuselage.

Main wheels are broken down into halves, as opposed to the "clown car" tyres found in the 720 kits.

Some of the windows on the fuselage sides have some flash in them, so some work with a needle file is probably gonna be required. The characteristic Gold "Speedbird" and "BOAC" titles are printed on the blue cheatline, which precludes the option of painting on the blue (like i probably would). That's a minor quibble though.

Also a surprising inclusion- Masks for the windows! All of them!

I am overall very pleased; i think the model was worth the wait. Now i wonder if Roden would consider a Convair 880/ 990......

david

• Like 1

For what its worth, in a fit of boredom with my Corsair project i decided to test fit some pieces on this kit. Come armed with a 100 grit sanding stick. There are some rather substantial sprue attachment points on the mating edges of the fuselage as well as some thick flash along the belly. It cleaned up OK but it just took a while. Test fit of the vertical fin showed a good, if not filler-free joint. Haven't played around with the engine nacelles yet.

Its impressively large when put together. So far, i'm still liking it.

-d-

Evening All,

out of my comfort zone here. I have received a Roden Super VC-10 along with a Bristol Britannia, and a set of Caledonian 26 decals for both.

Question is, the decal sheet states 'Midnight Blue' on the colour call out for the VC-10,

was wondering which manufacturers paint is the recommended one? as having read on the Caledonian site about, the fact that the Lion on the tail changed, but the colour did too!

All advise gladly received!

Paul

(pass that tin of Olive Drab!!)

I'm not a VC-10 expert but I don't think B Cal flew the Super VC-10. If somebody else know otherwise I'm happy to be corrected but if I'm right you're looking at converting the Roden model to a standard VC-10 which is not as simple as it might appear.

As far as colour goes, I'd be wary of following the "midnight blue" label too slavishly. From what I remember from my spotting days, B Cal blue was a very different colour from BA Negus blue, the latter being a definite midnight blue. Best advice I can give is to study as many different photographs as you can and decide for yourself bearing in mind (i) that sunlight (or lack thereof) can have a significant effect (ii) digital photography didn't exist when B Cal was flying Brits and VC-10s and (iii) it's your model and as long as you're happy with it that's what matters.

Thanks for the info Skodadriver, said I was out of my comfort zone!

Should have done more checking, not just assumed!

You are correct, Supers flown by Air Malawi, BOAC / BA and the RAF

Ah well, proof positive that P*** poor planning equals P*** poor performance!

Paul

Thanks for the info Skodadriver, said I was out of my comfort zone!

Should have done more checking, not just assumed!

You are correct, Supers flown by Air Malawi, BOAC / BA and the RAF

Ah well, proof positive that P*** poor planning equals P*** poor performance!

Paul

Don't forget East African as well!

Yup - Supers were only flown by BOAC and East African. Ergo, once I get my BOAC Roden Super VC10 built, I can redo my standard BOAC machine into the Air Malawi one. Hate to mess with it, as it was one of my better builds, but one has only just so much display space.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey! have patients!! Out me comfort zone!

You ARE right Turbofan, Air Malawi flew standards until the company went 'bump'.

Thanks again Skodadriver for NOT pointing out the error of my ways!

East African was what I thought of then having just come off another site typed Air Malawi..........D'oh

Paul

Apologies Paul - personally would like as many people as possible to step out of their comfort zone and try an airliner or two, so kudos to you for doing this.

To answer your original question, considering I use rattle cans, I take the decal sheet to the hobby shop ( and increasingly hardware / home improvement stores ) and eyeball the spray paints for the best match. Usually that does work out quite well for me, but my Caledonian VC10's fin, while very close to the correct colour, was a metallic spray paint so, oops! One lives and learns.

Mike - have you found an approximation for BEA red and BEA blue (late 1960s/early 70s)? I find both shades very elusive.

I know Xtracolour do both as enamels but I would like an acrylic alternative.

I have to report failure there Eric - and I did spend months searching for that elusive peacock colour of BEAs'. Bought a few tinlets too, as much as I didn't want to paint by hand, but never even close, even after trying to mix up my own. Eventually I gave up playing mad scientist when Classic Airlines came out with the full colour livery, including the fin.

http://www.classic-airlines.com/134.html

Despite the complex curves and shapes of the Trident, these went on perfectly. Nick also does the Viscount and Vanguard in this scheme.

Apologies Paul - personally would like as many people as possible to step out of their comfort zone and try an airliner or two, so kudos to you for doing this.

Agree with you on this Mike. I do occasionally turn to the dark side just for a change of scene but, what puts me off building more is the small scale(s) in which most airliners are produced. I have no real interest in anything smaller than 1/72.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Agree with you on this Mike. I do occasionally turn to the dark side just for a change of scene but, what puts me off building more is the small scale(s) in which most airliners are produced. I have no real interest in anything smaller than 1/72.

Allan

One thing I will ask Allan, can WE come visit? Your hou....Mansion must be huge!

Saw the 72nd Magna VC10 at SMW when first released, Coffee table anyone?

(though the Vulcan makes a better one!)

edit: 'cos I can't smell!!

Edited by PhoenixII
  • Like 1

To answer your original question, considering I use rattle cans, I take the decal sheet to the hobby shop ( and increasingly hardware / home improvement stores ) and eyeball the spray paints forthe best match. Usually that does work out quite well for me, but my Caledonian VC10's fin, whilevery close to the correct colour, was a metallic spray paint so, oops! One lives and learns.

Afternoon Mike, STILL got to build 'em though!

Have a 72nd vac-form As57 Ambassador, had it for decades, still in the original sleeve!

As for mistakes, me Gran always said

"them's that don't make mistakes are either bl***y big liars, or they DO bu***r all!"

Mike - have you found an approximation for BEA red and BEA blue (late 1960s/early 70s)? I find both shades very elusive.

I know Xtracolour do both as enamels but I would like an acrylic alternative.

....................Eventually I gave up playing mad scientist....................

The thought of smoking flasks and test tubes boggles the mind!

If I may? a possible solution would be to take a colour swatch or, if you have it, the BS colour

number to your local Halfords (assuming your UK based) and have a can(s) mixed to your own specs.

Or, if you have / can get access to a spectrometer that'll sort the problem.

Not a cheap option (at £15 - £20 a can) but possibly a long term 'fix', as it may give you

an idea on what to use for your own mix.

Don't know if Halfords will do the paint in any other format than in pressurised cans,

BUT, how ever it comes, Eric Mc, you'll be fine, as the car manufacturers use water based paint.

Paul

Like many modellers I prefer acrylics but I don't think my preference would extend to paying £15-£20 for a custom aerosol when you can get a tinlet of Xtracolor for £1.70! The last time I tried to get Halfords to custom mix paint it was to a swatch in an RAL colour fan. Maybe I was unlucky but I was met with such blank incomprehension that I might as well have dropped in from another planet. I eventually got what I needed from Paints4u.com and they were cheaper than Halfords.

Useful link Skodadriver, and a LOT less £££!

By any chance, does anybody have the BS code for B.O.A.C. Blue also the British Caledonian Blue used on the Britannia fleet and also

the Blue(s) used on the standard VC10 (both, if possible)

Any help gratefully received,

Paul