Suez Seahawk

I started this about the same time as the MiG-21 but has languished on the ‘wait’ until the MiG was done. Now the MiG is out of the away I’ve been tinkering on it for the last week and it’s starting to look like a Seahawk. The kit is the 1/48 Trumpeter FGA.6

The fit of the cockpit tub leaves a bit to be desired but I’ve managed to get it in there. There’s not a lot of internal bracing in the forward fuselage so the top/bottom seam wasn’t exactly a perfect join. Since gluing the joint I’ve gone back over the joint with some home made sprue glue (cheers Pappy) to fill in the gap. This allows the gap to filled and strengthened at the same time. Sanding it back to a smooth joint doesn’t take much effort as you’re sanding plastic all the way without the worry of sanding away filling material at different rates.

_MG_4888_zps0h4yjqmz.jpg

The seam through the middle of the exhaust panel has had the sprue glue treatment as has the rather large ejector pin marks in the main gear doors and the inside of the flap slots on.

_MG_4897_zps5ovcrsbk.jpg

_MG_4908_zpst8l6fcwo.jpg

_MG_4891_zpsjni6fb2b.jpg

_MG_4912_zpss0lg1mvn.jpg

Some nice detail on the wing fold.

_MG_4909_zpsqejqkqww.jpg

This is the Quickboost seat; can’t say that I’m fussed with it. I think I might shell out for the Pavla variety as it has the seat cushions molded in place and a more realistic drape to the belts.

_MG_4907_zpstnsynpie.jpg

The 60lb rockets need a bit of work as they are integrally molded onto the launch rail. In their infinite wisdom Trumpeter decided to make them into a two piece affair thus adding a fiddly seam to be tidied up. Again sprue glue to the rescue here. There’s eight of them to do and they're a bit fiddle, particularly ensuring that the fins are correctly orientated and the fore and aft body parts are aligned.

_MG_4901_zps5jc7uf7w.jpg

The main wheel well was base coated black over which I sprayed an Alclad shade (sorry, can’t remember which one it was) over which some Games Workshop Nuln Oil was applied.

_MG_4893_zpsohvbne0g.jpg

I was unsure about the top panel line on the rear of the fuselage as it did not meet with its forward counterpart. I decided to hit it with sprue glue too. I’ll rescribe it to so it meets with the forward panel line at the mid fuselage join.

_MG_4899_zpshxxc7gy5.jpg
_MG_4900_zps0xlooyyh.jpg
There's a slim chance I'll have paint on it over the weekend but there's a 40th birthday in need to attend to for a lady I know. :whistle:
Cheers,
Mick
Edited by Mick Drover
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi

Any chance you can measure the length of this Seahawk for me please? I am having issues with the correct size of Seahawks.

Thanks

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hi

Any chance you can measure the length of this Seahawk for me please? I am having issues with the correct size of Seahawks.

Thanks

Colin

Hi Colin,

Apologies for not getting back to you earlier, I've only just seen your questions. Where on the airframe do you want the measurements taken from?

Mick.