Hello!

This is my Airfix 1/48 Seafire F.XVII built with a few minor tweaks. I haven't been building for a while due to lack of spare time but things are better now and I wanted to get back into things with a quick 'n easy build. So nothing special, just a simple clean almost OOB model.

More details can be found on my blog, for now I'll shut up and post some pics.

Feel free to let me know what you think, good or bad.

DSCF1553_zpsu07opj09.jpg

DSCF1549_zpsozcwia9j.jpg

DSCF1580_zpshh0k9rhi.jpg

DSCF1570_zpsva2mfdcy.jpg

DSCF1562_zpsv2xnxe6e.jpg

DSCF1567_zpswmfxjtna.jpg

DSCF1576_zpsoq3qcaxv.jpg

• Like 48

Very sharp build, I like it! Although I've always thought the XVII looked a bit funny, short nose + low back makes it look a bit disproportionate in my eyes. Nevertheless, crisply painted and well photographed to boot :goodjob:

• Like 1

Very nice indeed. I like that a lot.

Thanks Chris!

Very sharp build, I like it! Although I've always thought the XVII looked a bit funny, short nose + low back makes it look a bit disproportionate in my eyes. Nevertheless, crisply painted and well photographed to boot :goodjob:

Thanks Vlad! I know what you mean, but I kind of like its aggressive front end, to me it gives the airframe a purposeful look.

Now that looks the part.... :goodjob:

Cheers! :winkgrin:

A very nice Seafire and a job very well done!!! :coolio::thumbsup:

Kev :)

Thanks Kev! Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

A real favourite of mine , well done

Thanks!

Always a pleasure to see. Very, very nice job.

Thank you very much! Cheers! :cheers:

Nice one!

Martin

Many thanks Martin! :thumbsup:

Great build.

Thanks Rudi!

Well, since you asked, I don't like the starkly black panel lines on a light-coloured fuselage. It almost works around the cowling, though could even stand to be toned down a bit there. I don't mean to be rude, but I admit I am being blunt.

Otherwise, it looks like a very cleanly built example, so good job!

One other question: it seems unusual to me for the wing fillet to be in Sky, though I'm sure it happened sometimes. Did you have a photo to go by? Understand I'm not saying you're wrong, and I think it adds a bit of eye-catch to the model, at least for me.

bob

• Like 2

:winkgrin: No worries Bob! I understand what you mean. Those panel do look quite stark under the lighting in the photo's. It actually a grey wash as opposed to black. But you are right, compared to the real machines it looks a tad stark. It doesn't look as bad when the model is seen in daylight!

If you care to visit the post on my blog about this build, you'll see a photo of SX311 and yes the wing fillet was painted sky. Thanks for your honest opinion, I do appreciate it.

Well, since you asked, I don't like the starkly black panel lines on a light-coloured fuselage. It almost works around the cowling, though could even stand to be toned down a bit there. I don't mean to be rude, but I admit I am being blunt. ....

bob

Hello Bob,

In defence of the builder, I understand your point and those panel lines maybe do look a teeny little bit stark, but not overly and I think what most people seem to forget when viewing photos of models is that they are usually taken with a macro lens or at least in very close proximity to the model? Macro lenses and the like are notorious for showing up every little error or nuance as if it was lit by a million candlepower beacon!? I suspect that from a stand-off viewpoint, when placed in a display cabinet or viewed from around three feet away, the panel lines look fine and adequately serve their sole purpose which is to highlight the detail on the airframe?

Not saying your point of view is wrong or even right Bob, and I acknowledge that you aren't intending to be rude as you've stated in your post, it's just that I think that more people should maybe take the circumstances in which the model was photographed into consideration as well, when making an unbiased judgement or appraisal for the sake of the builders' benefit? :coolio: :coolio:

Kev :)

Edited by Mr Modeller
  • Like 2

Mr. Modeller, Quite right- I'm looking at a photo, not the model, and I do tend to overlook the difference. On the other hand, I can only speak to what I AM able to see. As an exercise, I'd love to see this model photographed under natural light, and perhaps from a bit farther away, just to see how much of a difference that made.

Tango, thanks for taking my comments in stride! I'll have a look at your blog, too...

bob

• Like 1

very nice work, going start mine hopefully next week, hope comes looking as good...

Cheers BC, I'll look out for your build!

Mr. Modeller, Quite right- I'm looking at a photo, not the model, and I do tend to overlook the difference. On the other hand, I can only speak to what I AM able to see. As an exercise, I'd love to see this model photographed under natural light, and perhaps from a bit farther away, just to see how much of a difference that made.

Tango, thanks for taking my comments in stride! I'll have a look at your blog, too...

bob

No worries Bob, I value honest opinions! Hope you like the blog!

Nice presentation!

If anyone is wondering how the background is done: it is common to use a large sheet of paper (or something) beneath the model, and then to hide the horizon line, you simply bend the paper and make it go upwards on the backside of the model. :)

Edited by Housesparrow
  • Like 2

Very nice looking Seafire...

Thanks!

Nice presentation!

If anyone is wondering how the background is done: it is common to use a large sheet of paper (or something) beneath the model, and then to hide the horizon line, you simply bend the paper and make it go upwards. :)

Cheers! I'm still trying to get the knack of taking better photo's of my builds!

• Like 1