CAA airshow safety review update

Truro Model Builder

I think cost will effect organisers but overflying roads, built up areas etc that is the problem are organisers going to be able to close roads while a display is happening or keep a secondary crowd from forming which no doubt that has to be paid for.

If an aircraft has to fly over public areas then the show will not happen so to me that is most airfields they need roads for access surely ?

Guy

BBC South has reported that the Hunter's insurance company has admitted liability so you can make up your own mind.

Guy

Hmm. Surely there must be the same risk of airliners overflying built areas on approach to their airports Heathrow, Gatwick etc. There many roads and populated areas around them where an aeroplane could land on them despite they are not displaying the same way.

All very much knee jerk stuff by the powers that be. Maybe aviation will all come to an end.

Where does one draw a line...

I have to agree with the previous comments, this could potentially affect airshows like RIAT, which is extremely well organised, so what about the Red Arrows displays? and talking about insurance I belong to a small model boat club we only sail either yachts or electric powered models no fast boats at all, but the local council insisted we had to have public liability insurance in case one of the yachts, or one of our electric powered boats jumped out of the pond and hit someone, which is a big ZERO, but we have to comply.

Cheers

• Like 1

Hmm. Surely there must be the same risk of airliners overflying built areas on approach to their airports Heathrow, Gatwick etc. There many roads and populated areas around them where an aeroplane could land on them despite they are not displaying the same way.

All very much knee jerk stuff by the powers that be. Maybe aviation will all come to an end.

Where does one draw a line...

Some of the airshows and/or flyers haven't been (100%) complying with regulations,either with flight plans,paperwork/job cards,recording,MOD states etc. This is the result.

• Like 3

I really find that disheartening considering what is involved, ie aircraft, at air shows it;s fast jets aerobatic displays, warbirds. When you consider it, at model aircraft shows they have incredibly strict rules, especially the larger model aircraft, owners have to be registered, and qualified to operate them, and restricted to a certain distance from the public during displays. We all acknowledge that accidents will happen, whether it's a full sized aircraft or a model, however the rules and regulations are written so that pilots and the public are kept safe.

Cheers

• Like 2

The difference with airliners and airports is that it is a major economic activity. Airshows ain't. And now that the insurance company will be paying out big time, I would expect to see premiums rise correspondingly. Up to now the insurance companies have taken a level headed approach regarding the subject, but I suspect this will change.

They had no choice..Their insured landed on the road.

Exactly! they would be liable what ever.

Guy

• Like 1

It's very interesting reading around the aviation forums (fora?) regarding this subject, that suddenly there are so many experts around who knew with utter certainty that Shoreham was inevitable/a tragedy waiting to happen* (*insert cliche of your choice) and that standards and airshows regulations should have been looked at years ago etc.

Of course, being so clever you think they would have stated this before 22 August last year, but most of them, it seems, were too busy enjoying themselves at airshows to raise the subject. Funny that.

• Like 1

Agree with you T7 horses and gates come to mind.

Guy

450 meters???

If i was stood on the crowdline at RIAT, 450 metres would put the aircraft displaying over the fields at the back!!! On the. Plus side, if i stay in blackpool i will probably get a better view of the RIAT display.....

Methinks Totterdown and Rhymes days of moneymaking are over, POSSIBLY not this year but from next i bet......

• Like 2

That's why I'm not getting any airshow tickets until I see the final CAA rules ! I wanted to do RIAT this year but will wait to see it's not just the distance but the overflying of secondary crowds, roads, buildings etc.

Guy

450 meters???

If i was stood on the crowdline at RIAT, 450 metres would put the aircraft displaying over the fields at the back!!! On the. Plus side, if i stay in blackpool i will probably get a better view of the RIAT display.....

Methinks Totterdown and Rhymes days of moneymaking are over, POSSIBLY not this year but from next i bet......

Rhymes Farm and Totterdown have had my money for more than twenty-odd years now, (money well spent!) - as have the organisers of the show, and the charities involved. It will be a shame if these areas are shut down, but I agree it is a distinct possibility given that the risk to those in these areas is higher than if you are in the main arena.

I can't think of many shows where viewing from outside the 'arena' doesn't have some advantages, especially for the photographer, but maybe it's time, with hindsight, for these places to be off limits.

• Like 1

From BBC's Cornwall page:

Cornwall Red Arrows show cancelled over safety fears
An air show which has run for more than 30 years in Cornwall has been cancelled because of safety concerns.
The annual Red Arrows show at Fowey Royal Regatta has been scrapped after an audit found there was not enough space to perform above the town's river. The Military Aviation Authority audit raised concerns over the width of the "safety corridor" below the display. Organisers have scrapped the show rather than move it further out to sea.
"Our only means of achieving the safety standard is to move the display out over the sea which simply won't be the same," a statement said. "This has lead to a reluctant decision not to host the Red Arrows in 2016."
Harbour master Paul Thomas said: "It is hugely important and is without question the busiest day of regatta week. There is a huge sense of disappointment."
Malcolm Palin, chairman of Fowey Regatta Committee said moving the event out to sea would encounter problems. "To view it, spectators would need to go into fields which would mean a lack of vehicle access, narrow footpaths and uneven ground," he said. "Also we would need to raise enough money to pay for the display while expecting a significant drop in visitor numbers."
The decision is not believed to be connected to the Shoreham air crash which killed 11 people last year.
And if you believe that, you'll believe that the Reds are re-equipping with flying pigs.
Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 3

I think its a shame after 30yrs but I'm afraid it might be the start of things to come I do hope I'm wrong.

Guy

• Like 2

Seems the charges will be phased in over a three year period according to the latest from the CAA.

Guy

i wonder how IWM Duxford will cope? I can't see closing the M11 is feasible. Yere are road bridges across the M11 too, and they're usually packed with non fee-paying spectators so I suppose they'd have to be closed too. They could move the flight line to provide the 450 metres clearance but ... I can see problems IF CAA gets all its own way.

Ive bought my ticket for Duxford AND RIAT already!

Gggggrrrrr!

• Like 1

The problem is that closing roads and that's if you get the permission to close the roads in the first place and putting temporary fencing in place has to be paid for and policed weather by private security or the police and then you have the private land owners !

Like Johnny says you can't close the M11 and I think the smaller aircraft will be lost in the distance with the 450mtr rule you only have to look at the Farnborough display and that is already quite distant and high so a lot of aircraft are lost.

Guy

Ha Ha!!

And if it was not distant enough ! I

Guy