1/48 Turkish double - F-4E & F-16C *Finished 03/6*

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my next project; 1/48 F-4E 2020 and F-16C of the Turkish Air Force.

I'll be using the Hasegawa F-4E kit and a Kinetic F-16C 'Barak' boxing. I've done some research and i'm fairly confident that the 'Barak' has everything in the box that I need to make a Turkish F-16C Block 50 CCIP (not sure if this is the official designation, happy to be corrected!)

IMG_8901_zpsmd0paapj.jpg

F-4E sprues and aftermarket:

IMG_8905_zps6wqnxmrg.jpg

IMG_8902_zpsemyy4jbp.jpg

Will be adding Quickboost seats, Steel Beach intake covers, Airwaves canopy etch, Wingman ELTA 8-222 jamming pod, Hi Decal decals and True Details outer pylons. It will be loaded with 4x GBU-10, 1x Pave Spike pod and 1x fuel tank.

This is the scheme i'll be going for:

https://img.planespotters.net/photo/491000/original/73-1020-turkish-air-force-mcdonnell-douglas-f-4e-phantom-ii_PlanespottersNet_491065.jpg

F-16 sprues and aftermarket:

IMG_8903_zpsk2coz335.jpg

IMG_8904_zpsx6nzq5nq.jpg

Will be adding a Pavla seat, Steel Beach intake cover, Master Pitot tube and Caracal decals (still to order). I'll be loading this as a CAP jet with 4x AIM-120, 2x AIM-9x, 2x fuel tanks and CFT's.

This is what i'm aiming for (i know the first picture is of a UAE jet, but shows a similar load out to what i'd like):

http://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album07/album42/3077_001.jpg?m=1371928167

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/07-1014-F-16C-50-CF-161-Filo.jpg

This will be the first of a few of the latest generation of F-16's that i'm planning on, the others being Moroccan, Iraqi, UAE, Omani, Pakistani and Polish.

Will make a start on this in the next couple of weeks.

Dave

• Like 4

I'm sure they will be super. Follow +1

Watch 3 main differences:

All Tuaf F-16:

Back color is darker than us f-16's.

Block 40:

Parachute bay is different

They have reinforcment plates.

Block 50:

Vertical stabilizer is different than this kit.

You can use this link:

http://www.f-16.net/units_airforce172.html

As far as I know, best kit for the Tuaf f-16block 50 is Tamiya's.

Edited by musapeker

Thanks.

I've done a good bit of research on the F-16 and noted that the Kinetic kit has what I need in the box (even though the parts aren't used on the Barak). Also, the latest deliveries of F-16C's seem to be CCIP jets (plumbed for CFT's) and with the extended parachute housing:

http://theaviationist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/07-1014-F-16C-50-CF-161-Filo.jpg

Not sure on their designation?

Thanks.

I've done a good bit of research on the F-16 and noted that the Kinetic kit has what I need in the box (even though the parts aren't used on the Barak). Also, the latest deliveries of F-16C's seem to be CCIP jets (plumbed for CFT's) and with the extended parachute housing:

Not sure on their designation?

Hi Dave,

The latest aircraft are "Block 50+". They are also GE-engined and MCID-intake aircraft as the previous batches, but they are plumbed for CFTs and come with CCIP updates as you observed. There are subtle changes in the paint scheme, which will be described in the reference material I mentioned below.

I will add a couple detailed documents describing all the differences of various Turkish F-16 versions (from a modeler's standpoint) to the Caracal Models reference Web site when I finish shipping all the preorders this weekend. The instruction sheets for Caracal Models CD48006 and CD48007 did not have enough space for all the info I wanted to include, so I will put these up online. There will be a detailed description of what the needed modifications are, and where the required parts could be found.

As you observed, the Kinetic kit has a good chunk of what you need for a Block 50, either pre-CCIP or post-CCIP. A Block 50+ would require more work since you need the additional ECM antenna and the parabrake housing.

The dark gray paint used on Turkish F-16 fleet is FS36118 and there is absolutely no difference between this color and the color used on the USAF F-16 fleet.

Caracal Models Turkish F-16C/D Part 3 (coming sometime this Spring) will have markings for the latest Block 50+ aircraft, as well as new unit markings that I could not cover in the first two sheets. It will also have complete markings for the two Turkish F-16C's with Syrian Mi-17 and MiG-23 kill markings.

As for the Phantom: Caracal Models will soon release a new 1/48 scale F-4E & F-4E/2020 sheet covering the entire history of Phantom operations in Turkish Air Force history. I am not saying it will be the Turkish F-4E sheet to end all Turkish F-4E sheets, but it should be pretty close.

Edited by CaracalModels

Thanks for the info mate!

I think i've all the bits and bobs I need for a Block 50+, as shown in the picture linked above.

Ah I might have to wait until part 3 is released then, would like to add the kill markings if they're from a Block 50+. I've your 'Vipers against Terror' sheet on the way also.

• 1 month later...

Nice Dave

As I have just won some of the same F-4 decals I will be watching this with interest as I intend to build it after my Mig-21

I really wanted to do the same one as you but with the panther on the tail, will have a look at the caracal sheet when its released, as I will only be after the 111. Filo 'Panther', Squadron tail emblem and code number (from the previous Caracal sheet), if it is on there. But Caracal decals are very nice (I have used the YF-23 and have some Bulgarian Mig-29 decals too), hmmm.

Look forward to seeing some progress

Simon

Cheers Simon. Will be starting this soon. I have since replaced the Kinetic kit with one of these:

IMG_9121_zps5o86tsqk.jpg

IMG_9122_zpsvnwja2gi.jpg

I have all the necessary parts to make the Block 50+ aircraft (dragchute housing, antennae etc pinched from a Kinetic kit. Also have a set of Kinetic CFT's that I hope fit easily enough to the Tamiya kit and the Caracal decals are on their way from Hannants. Same load out as i'd planned - 4x AIM-120, 2x AIM-9x and 2x Fuel tanks and the aftermarket will be the same.

Dave

• Like 2

Cant wait to see this progress

In the meantime Dave here are a few pics my brother got from Turkey last year. The first 3 are the plane I want to build but can't get the original Caracal sheet, that had the Panther tail emblem, but they are releasing a new set but as I now have the Hi-Decal set on the way not sure I will buy the new one just for the emblem if its on the sheet, hmmm but then again.

Hope they are useful, got bigger versions if you want them?

Toom%201_zpsqejqzt7n.jpg

Toom%202_zpsqnth9ds7.jpg

Toom%203_zpshieuomrn.jpg

Toom%204_zpsiodmhzqj.jpg

Toom%206_zpsqzkispul.jpg

Toom%205_zpsncmoh90m.jpg

Thanks

Simon

Another build of yours I'll be paying attention to. I really should make a start on another Tamiya F-16 myself as I have several of them waiting.

Cheers, hope you enjoy.

Simon, thanks for the pictures!

Been looking at armaments for the F-4E and i'm undecided. Initially i'd planned on 4x GBU-10, but now i'm thinking 2x GBU-10 and something else.

Been looking at the Tarus missile from the Revell Typhoon kit and it looks similar to the SOM, seen here. A bit of modifications and the Tarus could look something like it.

The other option is the Turkish JDAM, the HGK, seen here

Something to think about!

Dave

Nice choices Dave, I am hoping to do one with a Popeye.

The SOM looks nice though on here or maybe even 2 SOM's (looks cool) if you look halfway down this page

Sure you have this page but a good mix of F-4's and F-16's on here

Simon

• 1 month later...

Finally made a start on this one, beginning with the F-4E. Cockpit was built up first. After some research, I noted that the IP's needed some modification:

http://www.tayyareci.com/ucakfoto/photo/F-4-116.jpg

http://www.tayyareci.com/ucakfoto/photo/F-4-117.jpg

2 MFDs to be added in the rear and one in the front. I added these from scrap etch and sprayed everything in grey, ready for the detailed painting:

IMG_9457_zpsial0lrft.jpg

Wings also built up, with the lumps removed from the top of each wing:

IMG_9458_zpsptku6huh.jpg

IMG_9459_zpsojzvlbal.jpg

Added the intakes and nose cone to each fuselage half:

IMG_9460_zpsrlb8c6ax.jpg

The instructions direct you to add the nosecone after the fuselage has been closed up but I prefer doing it this way. Next was a set of True Details outer pylons that I had spare. I added some mounting lugs from the spares also:

IMG_9461_zpsxcxigxz4.jpg

Ordnance next. The 4x GBU-10s and Pave Spike are from Hasegawa Weapons sets D and B respectively. I also built up the Wingman ELTA ECM pod and the centre line fuel tank from the kit.

IMG_9462_zpsgkt2ro6o.jpg

I had initially thought/been informed that the Turkish F-4s only carried the old style tank and not the F-15 style centre tank. However, some research over on ARC stated the contrary and indeed the below picture confirms:

http://www.ridder.aero/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/20130619_ltan_0744.jpg

Next up is to detail the cockpit and get the fuselage closed up.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

More done. Cockpit of the F-4E was finished. You can see the MFDs that have been added. I've painted these all black to replicate them being switched off:

IMG_9463_zps0u8sinz7.jpg

Once that had dried I installed it to the fuselage before closing everything up and adding the wings:

IMG_9467_zpspza0s2un.jpg

IMG_9468_zpscaclvrre.jpg

Also finished the inner pylons. I decided to keep the kit ones, despite their raised panel detail, as they look better than the True Details alternative. I added some mounting lugs from an Academy F-15E kit:

IMG_9469_zpsxotygdct.jpg

I then set the Phantom aside and began on the lovely Tamiya F-16 kit. Cockpit first:

IMG_9470_zpsb9kjkilq.jpg

Details added to the 3 sections of fuselage:

IMG_9471_zpsv7xwht3h.jpg

Main intake well, front well and nosecone:

IMG_9472_zpsczveumj9.jpg

Tail fin (awaiting arrival of a Wolfpack Designs dragchute housing):

IMG_9473_zpsgzalrdtt.jpg

Ordnance and pylons:

IMG_9474_zpsoaxydkks.jpg

4x AIM-120C are from the spares, as are the additional LAU launchers for them. The AIM-9X are from the kit. Will only be mounting the two wing tanks as i'm adding the CFTs.

The F-16 has almost fallen together, one of the best fitting kits there is. One thing i don't like is the way the nose cone comes in 2 halves leaving a seam down the middle. Nothing that can't be easily fixed however. Please Tamiya, can we have more like this? :Tasty:

Next up:

F-16 - Paint cockpit, wheel bays and assemble fuselage

F-4E - Clean up seams and add fuselage details

More soon.

Dave

A good bit done today. F-16s cockpit and main landing gear well were painted:

IMG_9476_zpsfmesext3.jpg

Fitted:

IMG_9477_zpsfvc1idyj.jpg

Once that had dried I set about closing up the fuselage. Once it had dried, I added the intake, strakes, speed brakes, flaps and the missile pylons:

IMG_9487_zpsgdetbie8.jpg

IMG_9488_zpskknxnkbd.jpg

IMG_9489_zpspkpqumuy.jpg

A few small dabs of filler needed on the intake and around the panels just in front of the cockpit. The extra missile launch rails are from a Hasegawa F-16. I also added the etch to the Kinetic CFTs:

IMG_9486_zps6etmi0yb.jpg

This also arrived:

IMG_9478_zpsghihxkko.jpg

I immediately ran into a problem:

IMG_9479_zpskajvnvqk.jpg

About a mm too short. I just happened to have a Kinetic extended tail spare, but it lacked the ECM blisters either side. the Kinetic example has a much better profile:

IMG_9480_zps3ubxt4yf.jpg

I butchered the ECM sisters of the Wolfpack part and added them to the Kinetic part:

IMG_9482_zpsuy3e4r2o.jpg

Fits much better and not too much of a disaster. On a side note, I'm hoping to leave the nosecone off and paint separately. Onto the F-4, fuselage seams were cleaned up then I added the pylons and blister to the tail fin:

IMG_9483_zpsi39byfvx.jpg

IMG_9484_zpsee9iygpm.jpg

IMG_9485_zpssnasvtor.jpg

That's the majority of the F-4 complete. A few things to tidy up then it will be ready for painting. The large dorsal blade antennae seen on the 'Terminators' will be added post decalling as it sits atop the walkway markings on the upper fuselage.

Next up:

F-4E - clean up the filler around the nose and add the last bits and pieces

F-16 - clean up filler around the intake, add CFTs.

Question: Would/could the AIM-9x be carried on the wingtip launchers and the AIM-120s on the inners? Any pictures i've seen of CAP F-16s be it from Turkey or elsewhere, always show the AIM-120s on the wingtip launchers.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

Very interesting Dave, a lot of aftermarket to get those kit look awesome! Great subject too. I still can't believe that the F-16 color is actually the same as the USAF one, I really thought they were slightly darker.

Nevertheless lovely subject!

Cheers Evert

Very interesting Dave, a lot of aftermarket to get those kit look awesome! Great subject too. I still can't believe that the F-16 color is actually the same as the USAF one, I really thought they were slightly darker.

Nevertheless lovely subject!

Cheers Evert

Cheers Evert.

I think the new Turkish F-16s look darker as their paint is fresh! Only a guess mind :lol:

Dave

More done. Remaining filler on the F-4 cleaned up and the last few bits attached. I added a scrap piece of etch just in front of the rear IP and a vent just behind the nose cone:

IMG_9501_zps23jv6jfi.jpg

IMG_9502_zpshaqwc8ui.jpg

IMG_9504_zpszsxgxaa7.jpg

That's her pretty much ready to be masked and primed. Onto the F-16, the main thing done today was to add the CFTs, which was a tricky enough job to get set correctly. Some filler is going to be needed, especially around the fronts (hence the elastic band to get them to sit as best as possible!):

IMG_9506_zpsw1mvhq4k.jpg

IMG_9507_zpstcalpcpq.jpg

Also added the extended tail:

IMG_9505_zpsqihqlcvq.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 1

More done. CFT's have been blended for the most part, just a small bit of filler to clean up. Also added the tail fin, the main landing gear, remaining pylons and a few other small bits and pieces:

IMG_9514_zpsamfb7dhv.jpg

IMG_9515_zpsregultjg.jpg

IMG_9516_zpsdf65xtjd.jpg

IMG_9517_zpsoujqncky.jpg

A few small areas to clean up around the CFT's (be much easier if there was an aftermarket set for the Tamiya kit, but sure :lol: ) and a few small bits to be added then that's her ready for painting.

More soon.

Dave