Trumpeter 1/48 mig 21f -13

Mike Esposito

Hi everyone. Was reading some of the reviews on this kit and just wondering what the opinion of the community is regarding the accuracy.

From the looks of it, I think it looks great. I am no rivet counter, but I do want an accurate kit.

It seems that everything that Trumpeter releases in aviation is branded inaccurate.

I know their track record is lousy, but they gotta be getting better...right?

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks

Edited by Mike Esposito

Hello Mike!

I'm sorry but I can't help you especially with the MiG. But I build the "Highly Recommended" (if you believe in online reviews) Trumpeter SU-24M some time ago and it proved to be bad. The basic outline had to be build using both plasticard and Milliput. In some areas the parts fit was excellent and in other areas non-existent. Also the surface details were based on guesswork on fuselage, and lot of work was needed.

You can see the finished model and some W.I.P. photos here: http://www.pienoismallit.net/galleria/malli_11714/

Best regards,

Antti

Hi everyone. Was reading some of the reviews on this kit and just wondering what the opinion of the community is regarding the accuracy.

From the looks of it, I think it looks great. I am no rivet counter, but I do want an accurate kit.

It seems that everything that Trumpeter releases in aviation is branded inaccurate.

I know their track record is lousy, but they gotta be getting better...right?

Please feel free to comment.

Thanks

Hi Mike

the serious MiG nuts damn it, it 'looks' like an F-13, but if you look closely, a lot of the detail is 'off'

see here

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=257354&st=80

note how they give up. It looks like another 'where's wally' kit, the harder you look, the more problems you find.....

see also

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234929742-mig-21f-13/

If you want to have an accurate kit, use the model MiG-21PF Eduard and nose MiG-21F Trumpeter.

To clarify, the main difference between MiG-21 F-13 and MiG-21 PF is the nose, the Trumpy nose is OK, but the rest of the detail (as in ARC link above) is wrong.

I have the Trumpy F-13 and Eduard PF, and the panel lines etc etc don't match up.

In short, for a casual builder, the Trumpy is OK, for accuracy, it's cross kitting time...

for those confused by MiG-21 versions...see here

http://www.mig-21.de/english/technicaldataversions.htm

and prepare to be more confused!

How sad - life's too short for such mania!

well, you won't like it here then, as this kind of mania is a big part of what goes on here.

Thanks Troy. I think I am still going to buy this kit. Looks like there is no serious dimension errors, just the details. Nothing the aftermarket can't fix. Certainly not as bad as the Mig 23bn kit.... shame as I really wanted that one :(

Edited by Mike Esposito

Thanks Troy. I think I am still going to buy this kit. Looks like there is no serious dimension errors, just the details. Nothing the aftermarket can't fix. Certainly not as bad as the Mig 23bn kit.... shame as I really wanted that one :(

Hi Mike

well...it depends, if you want to fix all the panel detail, then you do a lot of filling and rescribing...or a Eduard weekend MiG-21 PF kit becomes your aftermarket fix :rolleyes:

The MiG nuts are right, all the fine detail is a bit off, having compared the Trumpy F-13 kit with an Eduard PF

I'll note here that if you can find this OOP Neomega set

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=529

which I got off a member here, and this looks like it could be grafted onto a Eduard PF kit, and would be another way to an F-13, just in case you run across one of these.

cheers

T

I liked this Trumpeter kit even if it's not the most accurate fishbed. The biggest dimensional mistake is the fin I believe... the cockpit is very simple and the rubber wheels are also bad. But anyway I believe it is a nice kit, which can be made into a great model.

a3-004.jpg

• Like 2

I liked this Trumpeter kit even if it's not the most accurate fishbed. The biggest dimensional mistake is the fin I believe... the cockpit is very simple and the rubber wheels are also bad. But anyway I believe it is a nice kit, which can be made into a great model.

a3-004.jpg

I thought the only problem with the vertical stabilizer is the rudder being too short. Relatively easy fix.

I don't think that it would be easy to mix Trumpy nose with Edu. The PF has larger main wheels, so the F-13 wheel wells and the bulge on top side are smaller.

This can be easily repaired. I think it's an easier way of accurate F-13 how to repair, all errors Trumpeter

The transition from spine to stabilizer is totally wrong, not an easy fix, I guess

Hi Floggerman. Never heard of that error... :(

It amazes me that Trumpeter can't get an accurate mig21f. There are thousands of them in the PRC. :o

It should be perfect. It is their national fighter, after all.

Edited by Mike Esposito

The transition from spine to stabilizer is totally wrong, not an easy fix, I guess

posted by Yury on ARC

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=257354&st=60

Gabor, first of all thanks a lot for your research!

Do you mind if I add something about overall shape and fine details of the kit?

Actually, Trumpeter failed to capture the right shape of tail. Just look at the line which I marked by red arrow. This line is almost parallel to a longitudinal axis on real planes, but noticeably goes down on the kit. As a result the end section of fuselage looks like Su-22 tail:

DSC01495_2.jpg

Mi_G_21_F_13_Fishbed_C_MG_48.jpg

5539641571_0016b0bcf8_o.jpg

As another result, it increased distance between the tailcone and rudder and made the rudder visually shorter. The "A" to "B" ratio is 3.6 on the kit but almost 5 on the real MiG.

DSC01493.jpg

Regards

Yury

Hi Floggerman. Never heard of that error... :(

It amazes me that Trumpeter can't get an accurate mig21f. There are thousands of them in the PRC. :o

It should be perfect. It is their national fighter, after all.

well... these kind of cock-ups are the basis of all the Trumpeter bashing that goes on.

Regarding Trumpy MiG-21 F-13 kit, I think its build the flippin' thing 'as is' , it does 'look' like an F-13 from a couple of feet, but if detail accuracy is your thing, it's a conversion set for the Eduard PF.

Thanks Troy. I am no "plastic surgeon" :D

My wife just got me the J-8 from China. I will fix the rudder and attempt to fix the main gear wells. I think that is the extent of the modifications I am capable of. :(

Edited by Mike Esposito

• 2 weeks later...

Just received this baby in the mail last Wed. Can't wait to start this one.

:D

Parts look esquisite. Can't decide which scheme to go with. Finland is out as Trumpy decals are not centered for the Finnish variant :(

Might go with an aftermarket Arab scheme.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by Mike Esposito

the Iraqi defector '007' has some colourful options...

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/WMD48007

Mikoyan MiG-21 F-13 007 Defector to Israel. The Aircraft That Defected to Israel

. Designed for the 1:48 scale Trumpeter kit Mikoyan MiG-21 F-13 kit (#02858) our decal set features five different marking options for the 'Fishbed' aircraft, which had defected from Iraq to Israel in 1966, piloted by Munir Refda. Having been planned since 1963 by Mosad under the code name 'Operation Diamond', Refda's MiG 21 received the number '007' as tactical code, giving evidence of the circumstances, under which the aircraft had finally been flown to Hatzor AB.

WMD48007_3.jpg

Aztec have some exotic schemes: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AZD4851

That set gives a good illustration of the differences between the Chinese and Russian built aircraft. The F-7 loses the glazed panel behind the cockpit and gains a brake parachute fairing under the rudder so you can't easily build an F-13 from the Chengdu box and vice versa.

Andy

Camouflaged MiG-21F-13s are generally rare. Most users operated theirs in NMF.

The Egyptian MiG-21F-13s of 26 squadron are an exception and the national markings could easily come from decal sheets for later MiG-21 variants.

(eg RV models:http://www.karaya.pl/en/rvresin/29/mig-21mf-complete-rvd-48012.html?ref=%2Fen%2Frvresin%2F29%2F3%2F1%2Fitems.html)

MiG-21F-13_EAF_26SQ.jpg

MiG-21F-13_EAF_26SQ_2.jpg

MiG-21F-13_EAF_26SQ_3.jpg

As already mentioned the camouflaged aircraft in Aztec's sheet are F-7 Airguards which have many differences from the MiG-21F-13

and for which Trumpeter already has a relevant kit... :whistle:

Thanks Floggerman. Like the Cubano. :D

I am currently reading Arab Mig 19 and 21 units in combat from Osprey. The Iraqi defector scheme looks good. Was thinking of a oxidized NMF for this baby. Also getting the HB 1/48 Mig 17F. I wish there was a sheet for both.

Yes, am also looking at the J-7b and J-7g kits as well. Wife read me the riot act today....cut back on the spending.. :(

Edited by Mike Esposito