Triumph TR4A - Airfix 1:32

Having ordered this kit for the up coming starter kit GB, I was sent two, so figured I would do one early to see what could be achieved when not limited to an OOB build.

So as a start I have made and painted the engine and a couple of other bits.

P1030324.jpg

P1030327.jpg
I will update as we go, also plan to use this kit to get acquainted with airbrushing, so it could all still go horribly wrong.

Stay tuned

Terry

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 1

I was building one of these a few months ago till i ended up ditoring the body shell trying to strip pint in ultrasonic cleaner...

I'm looking forward to seeing you progress with this

I was looking fpr previous builds and came accross your thread actually, it came out the ultra sonic a bit too shaken :shutup:

But i am pleased to have someone along for the ride at least :yahoo:

So here's a little update, as i said, i am trying out airbrushing for the first time on this build and the results are instantly better than brush painting.

The front seats have still got to have some white piping detailed but a start at least

P1030334.jpg

Same detail for the rear seats and door cards, with all the extra door card details to pick out later by brush.

P1030340.jpg

The interior has been started on with the first bit down for the carpetting, still need to depict pedals and foot mats, gear stick, handbrake....

P1030344.jpg

And have got some color on the dashboard also, which is being done in a mahogany color, details to depict, and i may have a look for some 1:32 generic dashboard decals online to finish it properly.

P1030347.jpg

Thats all for now, time for some food,

Hope to update this later as SWMBO is out baby sitting for the evening, so able to spend some good time in the Man-Cave

Questions, comments & criticisms welcome as always.

Terry

Edited by Cooper645

Have a peep 3/4 of the way down the page in my 1/32 E Type kit:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991880-converting-the-airfix-132-e-type-lightweight-how-to-do-it/page-1

There are dash decals you can print out yourself, or just print them on gloss photo paper.

The dash is shaped for the E Type, but you could chop the gauges out with a couple of different size hole punches.

Roy

Have a peep 3/4 of the way down the page in my 1/32 E Type kit:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234991880-converting-the-airfix-132-e-type-lightweight-how-to-do-it/page-1

There are dash decals you can print out yourself, or just print them on gloss photo paper.

The dash is shaped for the E Type, but you could chop the gauges out with a couple of different size hole punches.

Roy

Thanks Roy, this is probably what i would do............if i had a printer in the house :wall:

Note to self: Get printer

Edited by Cooper645
  • Like 1

OK, Another Update as promised.

Have managed to get the majority of parts painted up.

Frst up the main ones that i snapped with the camera...

The interior is now painted up along with the seats..

P1030356.jpg

P1030354.jpg

Also painted up the Body and Engine Bay... not historically correct colours, but i'm bringing the car along into to a new era. i also hope that it will offset the mix of colours well and be a pleasing to the eye finish by the end of it.

P1030358.jpg

P1030351.jpg

I have also painted up the tires and based the wheels, still need to pick out the spokes.

Have coated the steering wheel outer, in a light woody color, will finish it with a metal spoking.

Also Gave the battery a coating of black.

Coming along nice i think.

As always,

Questions, Comments & Criticism welcome.

Cheers for stopping in....

Terry

Have managed to progress things a bit further....

The wheels

2016-01-24%2017.59.55.jpg

Underside

2016-01-24%2017.59.40.jpg

From the front

2016-01-24%2018.00.45.jpg

And a shot down the side

2016-01-24%2018.00.56.jpg

Cheers for looking in.

Should get it finished in the week, should the Pledge multi surface wax i ordered appear in the post,

Terry

Edited by Cooper645

Thanks for stopping in, most of last nights painting had dried fine, which meant it was time to get busy with some glue, as you say, nearly finished.

Only parts not fitted are the;

dash (awaiting decals)

Steering column and wheel (awaiting dash)

Windows and roof (awaiting paint and....you guessed it, DASH)

Any how, here's a little teaser pic,

i envisage one more post in this thread, which will be a close up of the dash possibly.

So keep your eyes peeled for the RFI post. (I will also put a link to the RFI in post 1 of this thread, should anyone visiting it later wish to view it.

2016-01-25%2020.19.58.jpg

Cheers for stopping by

Terry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have now clear coated the model, and am giving it 24 hours to dry, fingers crossed it will all go fine, it is my first time clear coating.

Have also managed to make up the front and rear windscreens with the roof and got them sprayed up aswell.

So i will update this at the weekend with some pictures hopefully. :photo:

Hoping the clear coat settles as it looks a little blotchy while its on there wet. Keeping it in a tin in the hope to stop any dust or particles getting on it whilst drying. :shrug:

Stroll on,I haven't seen this kit since the mid/late 60s. I made on of these,must have been about 12 or 13 and took me right back. Amazed that I still remember the interior and trying to get the body over it. No surprises yours is much ,much better from another planet to mine. No extra money for the right paints. I did mine in a post impressionist BRG and optional Polystyrene finger print on the windscreen and gloss black tyres !

Thanks for the memories...You can do the rest!

• Like 1

Thanks,

I hope i finish it with a good level of Justice.

I also have the kit as a starter set ready for the April Starter set GB, only using the supplied contents. So may be a very contrasting model. I will photograph the two side by side post build.

Just had a sneak peak into the box, its looking better now than @ 1630 this afternoon, hopefully it flattens itself down some more though.