Mounted infantry/cavalry in modern armies ?

AlCZ

Hi - i found on youtube video with footage of Bundeswehr and here was german soldiers on horses... CMK made US infantry man on horse (from Afghanistan theater). I know a european monarchy - naturally British too, have cavalry for ceremonial purposes (as bodyguards for Queen/King)but USA and Germany aren't monarchy.... and german soldiers on horses in this footage haven't an historic uniform as Queen Guard but standard combat gear... (too a US GI figure from CMK). Really modern army in field uses still horses ? (Horses in BW looks as Hucul horse - small breed of mountain horse from Romania, too popular in Czech.)

The Italian mountain troops retired their mules in 1993. Not all terrains are suitable for tracked vehicles. It depends on the mission - in conventional warfare you may afford to let a few enemies retire into inaccessible mountains, because your goal may be the capital city or whatever; but if you must comb those mountains to the very last combatant, or reach a strategically positioned peak and keep it - enter the four-legged porters.

Have you ever heard of Boston Dynamics? They're busy reinventing the wheel horse...

...but if I was a trooper, I'd be scared of that thing more than of the enemy. What if it goes all Skynet on me?

Edited by Bonehammer
  • Like 1

The Italian mountain troops retired their mules in 1993. Not all terrains are suitable for tracked vehicles. It depends on the mission - in conventional warfare you may afford to let a few enemies retire into inaccessible mountains, because your goal may be the capital city or whatever; but if you must comb those mountains to the very last combatant, or reach a strategically positioned peak and keep it - enter the four-legged porters.

Have you ever heard of Boston Dynamics? They're busy reinventing the wheel horse...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGo0xsImasw

...but if I was a trooper, I'd be scared of that thing more than of the enemy. What if it goes all Skynet on me?

I read recently in the Stars and Stripes that the Boston Dynamics LS3 (mechanical horse) has been withdrawn from use by the Marine Corps. Chief amongst the reasons given was the noise that it generated in use - not what you want when trying to creep up on the enemy!

• 2 weeks later...