Unsolicited PMs offering items for sale.

Greg B

Ladies and Gents, I've just had a site report and have been forwarded a couple of PMs from members after they have received unsolicited PMs from other members offering items up for sale.

It looks like there are a few people out there trying to bypass the site rules in regards to selling items.

To that end, if you have had one of these PMs, please forward it on to myself, Mike or Julien and we can then deal with them. Bear in mind that the members I have checked so far have who have sent these had non UK IPs so it may be a scam attempt.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

@Greg B is it allowed to tag someone in the comments on a topic? I have noticed in one of the other forum areas (WiP thread), a fellow member is searching for a kit, one of which I happen to be selling - can I tag that person in the comments on my own for sale post (or in this situation, where a members has specifically said they are searching for a kit I am selling, can I PM them)?

Its more of a tripwire to stop those with under 100 posts etc. tipping up, taking cash for an elusive kit and then disappearing.

However that person also shouldn't be looking for a kit in the WiP area ;) 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Please clarify about the 100 posts rule to be able to sell unwanted items.

Do replies in threads constitute posts, or are we talking about original threads generated?

I reply in threads quite a bit but do not generate so many new threads.

The third point in this post explains it well:

7 minutes ago, Noel Smith said:

Please clarify about the 100 posts rule to be able to sell unwanted items.

Do replies in threads constitute posts, or are we talking about original threads generated?

I reply in threads quite a bit but do not generate so many new threads.

Some do, some dont. Threads in chat dont count. However as you have 694 posts I cant see why you are asking? 

I have a query about offering an item for sale which might be bordering on breaking the rules, although that isn't the intention.  

Sometimes, I see in a thread that someone has mentioned they are short of a certain kit for their diorama or build etc.  They have posted this in their build thread and not the Wanted section, mainly as they are probably just commenting that they haven't been able to get the kit.

I read the thread and think, I have that kit and I'm not likely to build it soon; therefore, I am tempted to PM the person and say that I have the kit and would they like to obtain it, either by sale or swap etc.

My question is:  would my pm to that person be classed as an unsolicited action?  Should I put the item into the Wanted section, with the risk that the person this is intended for might miss the opportunity and someone else beats them to buy the item?  :shrug:

cheers,
Mike

4 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I have a query about offering an item for sale which might be bordering on breaking the rules, although that isn't the intention.  

Sometimes, I see in a thread that someone has mentioned they are short of a certain kit for their diorama or build etc.  They have posted this in their build thread and not the Wanted section, mainly as they are probably just commenting that they haven't been able to get the kit.

I read the thread and think, I have that kit and I'm not likely to build it soon; therefore, I am tempted to PM the person and say that I have the kit and would they like to obtain it, either by sale or swap etc.

My question is:  would my pm to that person be classed as an unsolicited action?  Should I put the item into the Wanted section, with the risk that the person this is intended for might miss the opportunity and someone else beats them to buy the item?  :shrug:

cheers,
Mike

TBH Mike, most people that give it the "Oh, I wish I could find XXXXXX kit" in those type of threads are doing it in the hope that someone will PM them.  They might think we were born yesterday, but we weren't, however they're not technically breaking the rules. :shrug:

If anyone tells you off for PMing them, they've got to be a little :mental: plus we know you mean no harm. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Mike,   I'm sure that there are quite a few of us on BM who just like to help.  My intention isn't to trawl the threads looking for a sale opportunity, I would use the Sale section for that; however, sometimes I see such a 'request/comment' and, until then, I had probably forgotten I even had the kit that they mentioned.  I thought that I would check with you though, just in case any such action might have been deemed as inappropriate.

cheers,
Mike